IGNORED

Did You Have a Eureka Moment?

Note: This thread is 1913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Such a tough game. I have been at it for 10 years now.  Had a few moments along the way. One was the downward strike on the ball and the distance improvement it gave me but then I had a few lessons and the instructor said I was over the top too much. He then told me my hands were too far forward and I lost all the distance I had gained.  A couple of years later and I have a little draw now and some of the distance is back. I love playing but it is so frustrating trying to improve. I have improved several aspects of my game but the scores just don't seem to reflect that unfortunately.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I started at 35 and, nearly seven years later, there have been a few times that I briefly thought were eureka moments. 

It's like you see something for a second and then it vanishes. My swing and my scores have improved to a degree, but it's been a slow process that only has me at almost-bogey golf right now.

The phrase my brother uses is "chasing the dragon". You get close enough to that dragon to get the slightest feel for the scales on the tip of its tail. Sometimes you see him. Sometimes you can't find that dragon with a search warrant.

It just isn't that easy for most of us.

My Eureka moment came with a Mastercard.   Put it back in the wallet and don't buy any more swing gadgets!   Instead use it for lessons.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

9 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

My Eureka moment came with a Mastercard.   Put it back in the wallet and don't buy any more swing gadgets!   Instead use it for lessons.

Ha ha..

Vishal S.

Not really a ‘Eureka’ moment as we’re discussing it, but my first real moment of excitement came when I first hit a shot ball first with a beautiful divot. All my life I was a sweeper. I decided to go to a Golf Made Simple course and was fortunate to be the only student for the whole weekend. After hours of work I finally hit an 8i that felt like no shot I had ever done. A buttery thud as I watched the ball soar like never before. A nice little pelt of dirt dropped ahead and at that moment I was dedicated to golf once again but with more excitement than ever before. Since then I’ve managed to develop a hideous swing but still almost always hit ball first. So I’ve got that going for me.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Oh yeah, I was watching Golf Channel and learned to hit it JUST LIKE RORY. and then I putted JUST LIKE PHIL.

And then a guy I was playing with pointed out a 'thing' to change.

It was life changing, in just one single McLesson.

(no, I learned a bit to start and then steadily over the years did a little better and little better as I figured stuff out and learned the physics and applied it to my muscle memory.  I had a couple lessons which taught me the basics, but even then, I had to do drills for weeks to get the lesson to take)

Bill - 

On 1/17/2019 at 12:57 PM, Chasing_Bogeys said:

I was a good HS baseball player. Not great and not good enough to be recruited by colleges. But I transitioned from baseball swing to golf swing without instruction. 20-something years later I'm still fighting baseball tendencies. Primarily the "extend your hands" portion of a baseball swing. A golf swing from the inside feels like I'm getting jammed on the low inside pitch. Thus... OTT and a really spectacular left to right ball flight. Oh to have a time machine and get a years worth of lessons at 25 instead of waiting.

So my "Eureka!" moment was deciding to get a lessonl.

My baseball swing made me hit a natural draw. Gotta keep your hands inside the ball whether it's golf or baseball lol. Getting jammed on an inside pitch would be a golf slicers natural swing path but a draw hitter will work inside and get it barreled up. 

On 1/17/2019 at 4:45 PM, Vinsk said:

Not really a ‘Eureka’ moment as we’re discussing it, but my first real moment of excitement came when I first hit a shot ball first with a beautiful divot. All my life I was a sweeper. I decided to go to a Golf Made Simple course and was fortunate to be the only student for the whole weekend. After hours of work I finally hit an 8i that felt like no shot I had ever done. A buttery thud as I watched the ball soar like never before. A nice little pelt of dirt dropped ahead and at that moment I was dedicated to golf once again but with more excitement than ever before. Since then I’ve managed to develop a hideous swing but still almost always hit ball first. So I’ve got that going for me.

What do you do to hit the ball first?

4 minutes ago, Sandhills Golfe said:

What do you do to hit the ball first?

Originally I spent literally hours hitting small shots (20-40yds) while in the proper impact position. When I took a normal setup I worked on a centered pivot. Doing this slowly a worked up to regular swings. Despite my awful swing, to this day I usually hit the ball first. I’m one if those who despite flipping still takes a divot past the ball.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 1913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!