IGNORED

Official U.s. Open @ Oakmont Thread

CG031
Note: This thread is 6162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Oh, is it too late to change my prediction to Angel and Bubba?

Seriously, look at who MISSED the cut. It's half of last year's top-15. Phil and Jeff have an excuse; what happened to Ryuji Imada and Padraig Harrington?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ps. Excuse my ignorance, but can someone explain to me why Adam Scott putt the ball with the toe of his putter from the fringe? Why didn't he just putt the ball normally? (1st round coverage).

when u toe the putter it comes off with a lot of spin and if it's down hill it wont roll as much and be as quick.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Here in Europe our coverage starts at 1600 and goes on live until the round ends, at about midnight. Normally, I am mesmerised in front of my TV by the brilliance of the Tour Players and how they dominate a golf course. This time, with the Oakmont setup, it makes for really boring TV, only because we are seeing the guys play defensive golf and trying to stop the trainwrecks from happening. I read iacas observations - they are all really informative but as far as riveting TV goes - the US Open is a dud. With greens and rough like this, there's no chance of anyone "storming" up any leaderboard. It's a players tournament, not a spectator's. Am I right or am I right on this, dear Trappers????

Michael Stiebel

In ze bag:

Titleist 983 KTitleist 3WPing 5WCobra 23deg hybridPing Irons 5-PW Eidolon 52,56 & 60deg wedgesPing G2 long putter(wishing for: Titleist 755 irons!!)Left-hander!!!!!

My Friday observations

You remind me of Johnny Miller.. the way you bring up and say contreversial things alot of people probably wouldnt. Personally I disagree with your assesment of Phil. Mostly because I see where he's coming from, simply because he's disappointed.. he's disappointed because he was on the verge of something good and its come to a screaching hault. He says he's trying not to end his career because that was his situation this week. Im sure each swipe out of the rough he was thinking I hope this isnt the one. Im not excusing the way he played but people say stuff when they're disappointed or pissed off. Im sure the guy felt it was unfair for him because of his situation and I completely understand that.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

Come on guys, Jump on the Bubba Watson bandwagon!!!

You're right, the guy is probably one of the most under-rated golfers, and or least talked about who deserves a mention. He works the ball incredibly well for a big guy.. and he puts pretty darn well. Johnny Miller qouted as saying "He's like John Daly but better" I dont think he'll win this week mainly because of final round jitters but he's doing well to be where he is right now.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

dont worry CG031, ill always be on the bubba watson bandwagon with you! just hoping he can qualify for the british open then i can go watch him at carnoustie! i must say im quite pleasantly suprised at how hes handled oakmont so far this week, he deserves a great finish, you go bubba!!!!!!

Bubba Watson

In the Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910d3 9.5* Stiff Projext X-7A3 Rescue: Taylor Made Burner TP 20* X-stiff 3 Iron: Titleist AP2 Projext X Rifle Irons: Titleist 710mb NS PRO 105T Stiff Wedges Cleveland CG12 60* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56.07 Cleveland CG14 52* Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio 2.5 (2008) Ball: Titleist Pro-V1

dont worry CG031, ill always be on the bubba watson bandwagon with you!

awesome man!! glad to find another big fan of him. u have a 12* g5. mine is a 13.5* g5. i love it

anyway bubba made that horrible move on whatever hole that was the 9th or somethin with that triple...even if he just made a bogey he would have still been winning ohhhh bubba.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

OK par on this beast is 70. It should actually be 75 or 76. Does anyone know the rating/slope?
I think you could really subtract 10 or 12 strokes from par thru 54 holes and the leader would be at minus 9 or so.
I think I will build a 8700 yard course and set par at maybe 42. The field would have trouble staying less than 30 over per round.
Sure Oakmont is tough but par is not realistic there. Do the members play to that? I doubt it.

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

I read in Golf Digest that the rating is 78 and change.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

I thought Saturday's set up was quite fair; they watered the greens last night and some of them this morning again. If players hit good shots, they could stop the ball on the greens. Look at Tiger's round; 17 GIR and a one under score. He burned a lot of edges or it could have been low. I enjoyed watching it more than say Shinnecock because good shots weren't punished today, but it's still obviously a tough course. It is the US Open after all.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

I stand corrected. Subtract 15 or 20.

I don't think it is unfair, but the USGA wants the scores to be par or worse, hence low par rating. What was the justification for changing hole # 9 from a 5 par to a 4 par? Four strokes to par for the event? Maybe?

INTHE BAG(today)

SandWedge 1200GE

Lots of Hope!

awesome man!! glad to find another big fan of him. u have a 12* g5. mine is a 13.5* g5. i love it

Yeah, been a massive fan of bubba watson for 3 years now, i love the way he plays the game, no fear whatsoever, the triple on 9 was difficult to take in, h2 had 251 for his 2nd which means hes only hit 230 ish off the tee, thats too conservative for me, also 15 seconds in between his 3rd shot and 4th which gave him a real hot head, then hacked it right through the other side of the green. he would be 1 off if he played it safe and just knocked it to middle of green and 2 putt for bogey, thats where bubba always seems to lapse, take medicine and take bogey...... not to worry we still love him! you go bubba!!!! yeah i have the 12 degree g5 and its awesome, i had a grafalloy prototype hot pink shaft fitted (just like bubbas) and its fab, gets me soo much distance, was clearing the back of the driving range today with it, about 290 carry over the back fence

Bubba Watson

In the Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910d3 9.5* Stiff Projext X-7A3 Rescue: Taylor Made Burner TP 20* X-stiff 3 Iron: Titleist AP2 Projext X Rifle Irons: Titleist 710mb NS PRO 105T Stiff Wedges Cleveland CG12 60* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56.07 Cleveland CG14 52* Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio 2.5 (2008) Ball: Titleist Pro-V1

Bubba has a new fan right here, I have enjoyed watching him play the last few days and really like how he seems to carry himself on the course. I hope he can hang tough today and maybe get in the hunt or even win the damn thing!
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

92 players that did not make cut------77.9 avg score----7.9 over

63 players that made cut---------------73.9 avg score----3.9 over all 155 players---------------------------75.9 avg score----5.9 over not too shabby for a course rated 78 Make # 9 back to a par and the players that made the cut are 2.9 over per round(8.7 total), but only 1 would be under par.

INTHE BAG(today)

SandWedge 1200GE

Lots of Hope!

typically, I'd take the average score for the pros and add 4 strokes to get to an estimated rating for how the course is playing. Most touring pros are at least +4 handicaps, so that is close...might even be more like 5 or 6 shot difference with slope and everything.

As for Bubba, I've heard that he's one of the least desired people to play with in a pro am and can be a total a$$ to his playing partners.

One of the interesting things to note here that if Badds and Tiger play the same way as yesterday that Badds will still win this thing. Most of the media outlets pretty much say that if Tiger does what he did yesterday he will win. That's probably correct, but then they are discounting that Badds has shot even the past 2 days. If he shoots even, he at worst would get in a playoff and probably would walk with this by 3 or 4 strokes.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

typically, I'd take the average score for the pros and add 4 strokes to get to an estimated rating for how the course is playing. Most touring pros are at least +4 handicaps, so that is close...might even be more like 5 or 6 shot difference with slope and everything.

I agree with Badds being one of the better putters on tour that gives me an advantage in my opinion. I agree if Badds has another solid round then it's badds to lose.

Greetings ...

Perhaps the least important statistic, yet one that a lot of folks are interested in ...
2007 U.S. Open Prize Money Breakdown

Of course, here is THE most important statistic for today ....
2007 U.S. Open 4th Round Leaderboard

At 8:00 PM EDT on Friday June 15th, 63 players were at 10-over-or-better

At 12:50 PM EDT on Sunday June 17th, 25 players were at 10-over-or-better

It's tough out there, folks!

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Sport

Note: This thread is 6162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!