IGNORED

Hitting a power line off the tee box, what do I do?

Timothy Voyles
Note: This thread is 3908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Paradox

if its not on the card but the club pro and staff(all long tenured) say that the rule is in effect..whats the play? Is a local rule only in effect if its on a card?

The rules don't say how it must be published. But if those responsible for the competition or course say it is a LR, then it is a LR.

Originally Posted by CraiginKSA

I'm shocked that there's no local rule on the card.  Are there any regulars you could ask?

it seems like the current consensus is that there needs to be a local rule.  this has all been very en lightning.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The power lines, or anything else, are an "extension of the course" (unless otherwise designated) and any balls that strike a part of the course must be played as it lies.  The first ball stayed on the course, play it as it lies.  The second went out of bounds, play it the same as any tee-shot hit out of bounds: drop and tee up with a one stroke penalty and your hitting three from the tee.

Although it's not exactly a "rule", your buddy was out of line when you hit the power lines out of the rough and ended up with a decent lie.  It's proper golf etiquette in a "friendly" to play by the same rules throughout a match.  If he did not require that you re-hit the first shot that hit the power lines but stayed in play, he should not have expected you to re-hit any subsequent shots of the same manner.

Originally Posted by stangmark

The power lines, or anything else, are an "extension of the course" (unless otherwise designated) and any balls that strike a part of the course must be played as it lies.  The first ball stayed on the course, play it as it lies.  The second went out of bounds, play it the same as any tee-shot hit out of bounds: drop and tee up with a one stroke penalty and your hitting three from the tee.

The power lines are actually immovable obstructions. Directly from the rules of golf:

An immovable obstruction is an artificial object on the course that cannot be moved (e.g. a building) or cannot readily be moved (e.g. a firmly embedded direction post). Objects defining out of bounds are not treated as obstructions.

The rest of your post is correct, play it as it lies unless otherwise instructed by a local rule.

Originally Posted by stangmark

Although it's not exactly a "rule", your buddy was out of line when you hit the power lines out of the rough and ended up with a decent lie.  It's proper golf etiquette in a "friendly" to play by the same rules throughout a match.  If he did not require that you re-hit the first shot that hit the power lines but stayed in play, he should not have expected you to re-hit any subsequent shots of the same manner.

His buddy had no authority to "require" him to replay anything.  It's either an active local rule which states that he MUST recall the stroke or it is a rub of the green and he plays it as it lies or proceeds under a rule of golf.  What his buddy desires has nothing to do with it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• 6 months later...

I hit a power line with a perfect shot and lost the ball today at Copper Creek #14.  Other courses that I have played have this on the card as a local rule, (and one of the regulars I was playing with thought it was a do-over) but it is NOT one of the local rules stated on the Copper Creek card.

2 Questions-

1. If there are local rules printed on the scorecard, can there be additional local rules NOT printed on the card?

2. If the "STANDARD" is to have this included as a local rule, then why doesn't the USGA make it part of the rules (with the option for it to be overrode by a local rule)?

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Originally Posted by MEfree

I hit a power line with a perfect shot and lost the ball today at Copper Creek #14.  Other courses that I have played have this on the card as a local rule, (and one of the regulars I was playing with thought it was a do-over) but it is NOT one of the local rules stated on the Copper Creek card.

2 Questions-

1. If there are local rules printed on the scorecard, can there be additional local rules NOT printed on the card?

2. If the "STANDARD" is to have this included as a local rule, then why doesn't the USGA make it part of the rules (with the option for it to be overrode by a local rule)?

It isn't 'standard' but at the choice of the club or course.

If it isn't published on the card or a notice, then it almost certainly isn't a Local Rule.

Originally Posted by Rulesman

It isn't 'standard' but at the choice of the club or course.

If it isn't published on the card or a notice, then it almost certainly isn't a Local Rule.

In Finland National Golf Union has made it a nationwide local rule which is used at all courses. But even then it is written on (allt?) scorecards.

Originally Posted by luu5

In Finland National Golf Union has made it a nationwide local rule which is used at all courses. But even then it is written on (allt?) scorecards.

Hopefully not, that would be a complete waste of ink and space on the card.

Originally Posted by Ignorant

Hopefully not, that would be a complete waste of ink and space on the card.

I have to admit that I have not seen all cards, but at least on some it is written.

Originally Posted by MEfree

2 Questions-

To further expand on Rulesman, there may certainly be local rules in place that are not printed on the scorecard.  They will be published on a notice and should be posted at the clubhouse though.

Word of mouth doesn't work for local rules......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by luu5

I would hope it was on all cards. Foreigners cannot be expected to know.

Note: This thread is 3908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!