IGNORED

Tiger Woods: Not Fan Friendly

montru
Note: This thread is 4310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by k-troop

It's a little known fact, but he treats dogs, children, and the elderly like dirt.

Tin Cup?? LOL

Driver: Taylormade R9
3 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
5 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
7 Wood: Cobra S 9-1

Irons: Taylormade r7 Custom Fit (SW-4)

Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza Spyder

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

One year at the Masters, on the way to resuming a suspended round, I walked down the left side of #10 on one side of the rope, and Tiger walked down just inside the rope. We were close enough that we could have shaken hands without fully extending our arms. He never once looked at me the whole way out to #11. Some guys would have said hello, some guys would have talked the whole way out, I am sure he knew I was there, but he just seems to have a different way of dealing with people than other players do. I didn't think it was either good or bad, it just is the way he is when he is at the course. He might be a good guy away from the course,or he may not, but just like elsewhere, you run into people that are easier to get along with than others. I love to watch Tiger play, but I don't expect him to live his life the way I would want him to live it.

Originally Posted by montru

No, He just totally ignored the kids, and then after the round he had someone bring his Lexus courtesy car right up to the clubhouse so he could drive out.

Oh.  My.  God.  What a friggin DOUCHEBAG!

Originally Posted by onlybereaved

I think that OP is suggesting that Tiger could have remained focused, and not signed autographs, hell maybe not even said that he would sign after the round...But maybe a nice little fake smile, nod, or not having looked right through them, etc.  That's all. Not a big deal.

Welcome to the ex Tiger Woods fanclub, OP.

Yeah, 'cause I'm sure a fake smile would have prevented a thread like this.  That's what we need more of.  Insincerity and disingenuous gestures from our athletes and celebrities.  We should encourage them to lie more and make promises they know they won't keep.  That really teaches our kids how to act, right?  Never be who you want to be, just fake a smile for the good people so nobody thinks ill of who you actually are.  Because who you actually are is surely unacceptable, right?  Especially if you have the audacity to not like signing autographs before a round.  The nerve!

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

My.opinion would be that dad should explain to his girls before hand that ". We'll go over but they might be too focused to stop for autographs . If you look between tees , most guys wont look at or acknowledge anyone. No hand slapping, nothing for the most part. I believe at the advice of their " sports psycologist". -msp

Originally Posted by MackJL06

why did you feel entitled to some sort of reaction?

he takes a beating from just about everyone any time he does something wrong. we delved into his personal life and continue to judge him 4days a week both professionally, and as a person. he's not stupid. why would he ever make an effort for a group that has typically shown him nothing but disrespect?

did you say "hey tiger"? did you ask for an autograph and he just ignored you? or were you standing there and nobody said anything? maybe he walked into the clubhouse and said to phil "those kids said something to you but wouldnt even say good morning to me"

and as far as having a car pick him up....the dude literally had helicopters and that blimp CHASING him with cameras when he withdrew with that foot injury.

i think he shows us, the golf community, way more respect than we ever show him

Very well said.  It honestly shocks me that more people don't grasp this concept.  He doesn't know a fan from a heckler, and it's not his job to worry about which is which during/before a tournament.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

It's obvious to me the girls were WAY too young for Tiger to acknowledge (sarcasm). Tiger isn't a warm and fuzzy guy and he doesn't owe anybody anything. If you want to see a warm and fuzzy Tiger Woods attend one of his First Tee appearances, other than that you get cold, expressionless, focused Tiger. He's very consistent that way.

maybe he was having a bad morning?  i don't understand why people think that celebrities should have to stop and talk to them whether or not it is convenient to them.  They are people trying to do their job.  And like normal people, they have bad stuff happen to them too.  maybe his ex was on the horn busting his balls that morning or he couldnt find his keys or locked himself out of his house.  crap like that happens to regular people all the time and one would assume it happens to them.  Sometimes when i get up on the wrong side of the bed, i am a jerk off until mid day.  I wont talk to anyone or if i have to, i am very short with them..

Bottom line, golfers are paid to golf, not be circus clowns and amuse us at every turn.  he doesnt get a bonus for being nice to people.

If you were only  fan of Tiger because you thought he was a nice guy, you were never a fan of him or his golf game.  Tiger is arguably the best golfer alive today.  I am a fan of his game and strive to get better because of what i have seen him do on the course.  Now take someone like K.J. Choi, I am a fan of him more than his game.

If I were to ever meet any of the "sandtrappers" on a golf course anywhere or anytime, and I said "good luck today" as you headed out to the tee and you reacted in the same way as the OP describes, you would be a total dickhead in my opinion, for now and always. There's just no excuse for anyone to ever act that way. How many times have I seen posts here saying "golf is a gentlemens game". I DON'T remember the addition of "unless your a professional and it's competition day"

• Upvote 2

Originally Posted by reedf

If I were to ever meet any of the "sandtrappers" on a golf course anywhere or anytime, and I said "good luck today" as you headed out to the tee and you reacted in the same way as the OP describes, you would be a total dickhead in my opinion, for now and always. There's just no excuse for anyone to ever act that way. How many times have I seen posts here saying "golf is a gentlemens game". I DON'T remember the addition of "unless your a professional and it's competition day"

Gentlemen don't acknowledge commoners - they have people for that.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

1. He didn't ask to be your daughters or the other guys daughters role model, I'd suggest you stick with non-celebrities as role models for your kids.
  2. He was getting ready to work.  If others saw him stop to sign one autograph, there'd have been 100 people begging for one.
  3. Did you consider that he didn't hear the girls.  When I'm focused on something, I often don't hear people speaking to me, especially from 10 feet away.
  4. If you're not going to be a fan of his because of one bad experience then I doubt you were much of a fan of his to begin with.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by newtogolf

He didn't ask to be your daughters or the other guys daughters role model, I'd suggest you stick with non-celebrities as role models for your kids.

He was getting ready to work.  If others saw him stop to sign one autograph, there'd have been 100 people begging for one.

Did you consider that he didn't hear the girls.  When I'm focused on something, I often don't hear people speaking to me, especially from 10 feet away.

If you're not going to be a fan of fan because of one bad experience then I doubt you were much of a fan of his to begin with.

I ain't buying #3!! This is a guy who goes ballistic at the click of a camera while he is supposedly "focused". I will agree with your other 3 points

While he dosen't "have to" do dick, Tiger in my opinion still needs to remember that these fans he's ignoring are the ones who have allowed him the lifestyle that he thoroughly enjoys.  He is playing a professional sport/game for a living and the only reason there is any money for him to win is because there are spectators that take an interest in what's going on.  No spectators, no sponsors putting up prize money or paying him to endorse their products.  It's that simple. If no one gave a shit about watching golf, he's just another schmo trying to make ends meet like the rest of us.

I don't agree with:

"i don't understand why people think that celebrities should have to stop and talk to them whether or not it is convenient to them. They are people trying to do their job"....

Tiger cannot have it both ways, the reason he and so many top athletes are paid so much money is because they are so well known, I think Chubby said it best with something like "if you want to be #1 and worth millions you are going to be in the spotlight", Tiger can choose not to talk to people but I don't think it is an OK thing to do and don't think he deserves any slack for it. If the fans are so much of a problem for him then just quit playing.... I would like to quit my job because of people bothering my but I don't make enough money to have that option.

Tiger makes money whether the fans are there for him or Phil.  If you want to really reduce it, people watch golf because because Tiger is a great golfer and they want to witness his greatness on the course, not because he's a great humanitarian.  If Tiger never won a tournament what are the chances the OP would have even bothered to create the thread?

Originally Posted by gwlee7

While he dosen't "have to" do dick, Tiger in my opinion still needs to remember that these fans he's ignoring are the ones who have allowed him the lifestyle that he thoroughly enjoys.  He is playing a professional sport/game for a living and the only reason there is any money for him to win is because there are spectators that take an interest in what's going on.  No spectators, no sponsors putting up prize money or paying him to endorse their products.  It's that simple. If no one gave a shit about watching golf, he's just another schmo trying to make ends meet like the rest of us.

Joe Paradiso

Tiger's been the best paid athlete in a long time without too much fan interaction. I'm sure he can pay his bills. I don't think Tiger owes me anything at all. His performance the last 15 years is more than enough. By the way, he participates in events outside of tournaments to support his foundation and other charities. Probably easier to get some contact with him there.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Just saw Tiger hit a man during the fourth round at the AT&T; National. He took his glove off and signed it for the guy. That's pretty classy and wasn't entirely warranted.

|   Callaway Diablo Octane Driver (9.5*, graphite, stiff)   |  

|   Callaway Diablo Octane Tour Fairway Wood (15*, graphite, stiff)   |

|   Cobra Baffler T-Rail Hybrid (19*, graphite, stiff)   |

|   Callaway Razr X HL 4-PW (steel, stiff)   |

|   Callaway X-Series Jaws Chrome Wedges (54.12, 58.8, steel, stiff) |

|   Vulcan Putter   |

|   Callaway Diablo HX Diablo, Bridgestone E6 Balls |

C'mon, let's face it. The OP has certain ideas of how the world should run and when the world doesn't meet his expectations he whines about it.  Tiger doesn't meet his expectations?  He whines about it.  The US Open charges more than he thinks they should at the concession stands?  He whines about it.  He get caught trying to sneak food into an event?  He whines about it.

No one has a claim to the time or attention of anyone else just because they paid an attendance fee.  If you don't like the prices, don't go.  If you aren't going to follow the rules you should be caught - and probably humiliated into the bargain.  The fans' money gives them the right to watch the performance.  To expect anything more is, frankly, kind of creepy.

And when anyone says "It is not the money, it is the principle"  you can be darned sure that it is really the money.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by MajorSlice

maybe he was having a bad morning?  i don't understand why people think that celebrities should have to stop and talk to them whether or not it is convenient to them.  They are people trying to do their job.  And like normal people, they have bad stuff happen to them too. ...

I was a fore-caddie during the 1970s for an exhibition match involving Jack Nicklaus and another very famous golfer of the era. Nicklaus came in from the airport about an hour before the match began, hit a few balls, and kept pretty much to himself as the tee off time approached.

Nicklaus was all business that day - not unfriendly or rude - just totally in the golf zone. And, he was on the road for the airport about a half hour after they putted out on No. 18. In the ensuing years, I learned that Nicklaus had a "lot going on" in his personal life at that time.

In a related note, some Sand Trappers have complained that Ben Hogan - someone who died before many of them were born - gets overrated as a golfer because he was supposedly not a very friendly person. He too had personal challenges following recovery from a near-fatal auto accident. Before a tournament round, Hogan would soak in a tub of hot water for a half hour so he could be loosen enough to warm up and go play. I imagine that many days Hogan would feel pretty "used up" by the time he hit the 18th hole.

Tiger, like Hogan and Nicklaus, is a celebrity. In the 21st century, average people often feel that they can make demands on a celebrity's time, or life habits, in return for worshipping them. TV's 24-hour news cycle contributes to this problem. Sorry, but I find these self-delusional fans bothersome.

These self-delusional fans live aplenty in St. Louis Cardinal land. When Albert Pujols decided to sign with the LA Angels, you would have thought he had committed high treason. He and his wife still run a wonderful charity in the St. Louis area, but you would never know it from all the ex-fans who have become P-Haters.

(BTW, the word fan comes to us as a short form of fanatic .)

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 4310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!