IGNORED

Back injury - Is golf worth the surgery??

scottyjoe145
Note: This thread is 4312 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't have time to do a lit search right now, but if my memory serves I saw a reliable looking study a while back showing that surgery basically doesn't help back pain at all.  Like, some people experience a benefit, though most often temporary, and as many don't get better or get even worse.  Just something to consider.

What training and exercises regime do you have to complement the work by the chiropractor?  Along the lines of what Golfingdad said, you could try different and/or more extensive PT style remedies.  Working some of the same muscles and flexibility as what he recommended, if you can find a truly excellent yoga instructor who's also studied more modern anatomy and rehab training and stuff, that might be worthwhile.  I'm no expert so I don't know how useful that kind of thing would be for a bulging disc in particular, but a teacher my wife and I used to go to ran a separate series of classes that were sort of combo yoga/PT for physically struggling old folks and cured full on hump backs and limps caused by back pain with no drugs or surgery, so it's possible for some pretty major back problems at least to fix them yourself with good guidance.

A lot of us here I think sympathize with how hard it would be to give up the game.  Especially if I'm right in the first paragraph, my feeling is it might be worth it to do some serious research on various rehab and training methods and experts near you and do like a really serious 6-12 month program of really dedicated self and expert guided training/rehab with no golf.  I know the golf season is probably year round in Tennessee (unless you're up in the hills), so you don't have a winter season where you wouldn't be able to play at all anyway, but maybe do like 9 months from now through March of intense rehab, PT, yoga, chiropracty, whatever you think might work and can afford.  Then maintain the training program and ease back into golf, maybe 3 months of only actually hitting 75% (instead of "feeling" 75% so you don't overswing, as I and I know many others often try to do) on executive and par 3 courses or something?  Try to be in shape to play full distance but smooth and easy golf next summer?

• Upvote 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mdl

I don't have time to do a lit search right now, but if my memory serves I saw a reliable looking study a while back showing that surgery basically doesn't help back pain at all.  Like, some people experience a benefit, though most often temporary, and as many don't get better or get even worse.  Just something to consider.

What training and exercises regime do you have to complement the work by the chiropractor?  Along the lines of what Golfingdad said, you could try different and/or more extensive PT style remedies.  Working some of the same muscles and flexibility as what he recommended, if you can find a truly excellent yoga instructor who's also studied more modern anatomy and rehab training and stuff, that might be worthwhile.  I'm no expert so I don't know how useful that kind of thing would be for a bulging disc in particular, but a teacher my wife and I used to go to ran a separate series of classes that were sort of combo yoga/PT for physically struggling old folks and cured full on hump backs and limps caused by back pain with no drugs or surgery, so it's possible for some pretty major back problems at least to fix them yourself with good guidance.

A lot of us here I think sympathize with how hard it would be to give up the game.  Especially if I'm right in the first paragraph, my feeling is it might be worth it to do some serious research on various rehab and training methods and experts near you and do like a really serious 6-12 month program of really dedicated self and expert guided training/rehab with no golf.  I know the golf season is probably year round in Tennessee (unless you're up in the hills), so you don't have a winter season where you wouldn't be able to play at all anyway, but maybe do like 9 months from now through March of intense rehab, PT, yoga, chiropracty, whatever you think might work and can afford.  Then maintain the training program and ease back into golf, maybe 3 months of only actually hitting 75% (instead of "feeling" 75% so you don't overswing, as I and I know many others often try to do) on executive and par 3 courses or something?  Try to be in shape to play full distance but smooth and easy golf next summer?

And to piggyback on this, although I have no study to cite, I don't know of any super success stories with back surgery.  Everybody I talked to recommended against it (including my Dr.), and a lot of people seem to think that it will not necessarily help at all, and might make problems worse.

For example, one option I had was spinal fusion.  If successful, that would completely eliminate my disc (and thus disc pain) by turning the 2 vertabrae into one.  But who's to say that the stress in my back causing that pain wouldn't just transfer up or down to the next available joint?  For me, surgery is going to be a last, last, last resort.

A spinal fusion WILL transfer more stress to the discs above and below the fusion. Find a GOOD PT in your area, and stop going to the Chiropractor!! A steroid anti-inflammatory and/or epidural injection will help reduce the inflammation while you work with your PT to stabilize your lumbar spine. You may have to take some time off while you rehab, but DON'T quit the game. If for some reason you elect/require surgery after the physical therapy, look for the best Orthopedic Spine Surgeon in your area (Dr. Robert Watkins - he literally wrote the book The Spine in Sports, and is a go to guy for MANY professional athletes around the world) and look into the possibility of an artificial disc replacement. If you need a good PT PM me, and I'll try to get you some names.

Doc said, after MRI, that i had herniated discs resulting in pinched nerves leading to sciatic pain causing me huge issues with leg mobility and daily/nightly pain. For me a no-brainer esp when doc said that if accident happened, like car crash or falling off ladder, my big sciatic nerve may be severed. Ha, that leads to paralysis so i said let's try the controlled technique and schedule surgery for tomorrow.  Double laminectomy on two vertebrae. Next day walking about, month later all good. Now continue to do my yoga postures many of which speak directly to core, back, abs, hips, legs, etc, all vital to mobility and well being. But will add that each person is unique and comes to the table with special problems and personal feelings. Me, i would never see a chiropractor.  I also feel that yoga is the best, cheapest, most convenient, most challenging and most rewarding physical path to good health available.  Yoga practice is cultivation of our most precious possessions of life: your body and your mind. Best wishes.

Personally I would opt for the surgery...  mainly because from experience I know that I can't hit the ball worth a crap while high on Percocet.

Seriously though,  if you're going to the Chiropractor that much,  and you're still not considered a candidate for surgery,  you probably need to stop going to the chiropractor,  and tell your ortho Dr.  (I assume you're well beyond your primary care physician at this point)  that you want to know what care path you should take since you're not planning on stopping 'normal' activities,  and don't plan to go to the Chiropractor since it's not a long term solution for you.

Good luck.

I had 4 herniated discs a while back.  Extremely annoying.  They stopped me from enjoying life completely.  I really couldn't do anything.

I had surgery in 2009 and it was the best choice I have ever made.  I felt instant relief.  I went grocery shopping with my wife right after I was released from the hospital the day of my surgery!  It was the first time in a few years that I was able to enjoy walking around without being in an incredible amount of pain.

Before my surgery I had 3 spinal injections that didn't relieve any pain. As well as physical therapy which didn't help much at all.

Driver:    SLDR TP 9.5* (Tour AD DI 6S)

Wood:   Jetspeed 3W (Aldilia RIP Alpha) & SLDR 5W (Diamana Kai'li)

Hybrids: Rescue 11 3H (18*) & Rescue 11 4H (21*)

Irons:     Rocketbladez Tour 4-PW

Wedge:   ATV 52* & 58*

Putter:   Bettinardi Signature 6

For those with back problems, if you would like some training exercises to help strengthen the muscles in your lower and middle back, which will alleviate stress from bottom half of the spinal column.

My field lies in training athletes, and working with them to keep a strong core, to prevent injury and further damage. I'd be more than willing to help any trapper out with training advice and regimens, and even diet tips if they want. Just send me a PM.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Surgery would be my last resort... and I mean last.  Many people have found relief from disc surgery but many have not... or have gotten worse.  I could tell you my long winded story but why bore you.  Here's the short story.  I was diagnosed with 2 herniated discs and 1 bulging disc 25 years ago.  Was told I may never play basketball again...blah, blah, blah.   25 years later... I do whatever I want.  Sure it flares up from time to time... but don't believe the baloney about golf making you permanently worse.

My recommendation?  Without a doubt... SPINAL DECOMPRESSION.  Google that term... that's what you need for relief from herniated/bulging discs.  It helps the majority of people who use it.  Count me as one of the success stories.

Any questions about it, feel free to PM me.  It works.

Thanks for the advice guys.  I am using an inversion table and incorporating physical therapy back excercises and it seems to help.  I have not played since Memorial Day weekend (2 months) and I can already tell a difference in the strength I have in my back.  I still have a severe sciatic nereve issue though, even after all the time off.  I'm told by my chiropractor that staying adjusted, will keep the pressure and tension off the aggrivated areas.  Honestly, I think the chiropractor has helped, but I'm getting some advice to stay away from them.  I've been going to this guy for years and I really can't say that its helped because I'm obviously hurting now.

Why should (or shouldn't) I see a chiropractor??

Driver:       Titleist 909D3  (8.5°)
3-Wood:     Titleist 909F3  (13°)
Hybrid:       Titleist 909h  (17°)
3-PW:         Mizuno MP-68 with PROJECT X 6.0
Wedges:     Titleist SM4's  (52°-58°-62°)
Putter:        Scotty Cameron Studio Select 1.5
Ball:            Titleist Pro V1x
Range:        Bushnell Pinseeker PRO 1600
Bag:            PING Hoofer stand bag

Originally Posted by Johnny1putt

My recommendation?  Without a doubt... SPINAL DECOMPRESSION.  Google that term... that's what you need for relief from herniated/bulging discs.  It helps the majority of people who use it.  Count me as one of the success stories.

Any questions about it, feel free to PM me.  It works.

I looked it up, and according to Wikipedia (that guy knows everything!) spinal decompression is a generic term that refers to a lot of things, including surgery.  I am assuming that you are talking about a form of non-surgical decompression.  Inversion therapy?  Traction?  Something else?

Let me say at the outset that I am not an M.D. I did have two spine surgeries earlier this year, so I'm speaking from that experience. Golf, though, was not a consideration when I chose to have the surgeries. It was all about quality of life.

I will say that I am recovering well from the last one (end of April), which was extensive, and I hope to back to be playing golf by October or November with a new swing that eliminates the stresses the modern golf swing places on the back. All I'm doing right now when I go out is drop a ball about 15 yards from the green, chip on, and putt out.

Not knowing the particulars of your condition, and no one on the forum does, I would listen to what your doctor is telling you. If your doctor says continuing to play will make it worse, think hard about what you gain by playing compared to what you could lose if your condition progresses, especially if golf is aggravating it. IOW, what do you get out of golf that is worth the risk of X down the road?

As for having a surgery, I can't advise you on that because I don't know what your condition is, and I don't know what kind of surgery you are being offered, and I don't know what the prognosis is if you don't have it. I hope your doctor gave you thorough counseling on those topics. Listen to him/her on that score, not us.

Since you asked us, though, I would tell you this about golf: Heal yourself first. Completely. Whatever than means and whatever that takes. Then get back to golf. I don't think that playing through the pain and ignoring the consequences is a good idea. There's too much at stake.

Someone suggested surgery won't help at all...

But has anyone mentioned fixing the problem just for the matter of having a healthier body, regardless of the damn game?!

quit the chiropractor (they're not real doctors anyway), and take up yoga.  better posture will help your back tremendously.   my parents were marathoners, and my mom developed a back problem where she'd hang upside down for 15-20 minutes a day.   they took up yoga, go nearly daily now, and her problem got much, much better.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Stop seeing the Chiropractor. Here is a great link that explains why, and has references to legitimate scientific articles. http://www.rebuildyourback.com/chiropractic/discs.php

Originally Posted by TimATC

Stop seeing the Chiropractor. Here is a great link that explains why, and has references to legitimate scientific articles.

http://www.rebuildyourback.com/chiropractic/discs.php

This.

I'd heard about chiropractic manipulation leading to stroke, but I hadn't actually seen the study.  To read about it, click "NEXT" at the bottom of the page.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

If I had an MD tell me that I would only get worse if I continued to play and that surgery was my only real chance for regaining function and diminishing my pain I'd have the surgery.  I just came back to golf after a long layoff and would truly hate to give it up again, so I would be willing to go under the knife to have a chance to heal and play pain free.  If the projected outcome is more uncertain it would be a really difficult decision.  I wish you the best.

You can't just tell the OP to " do this " or " don't do that ". You don't even know what his exact condition is and what is going on.

So last night I had an awakening on my own condition from what I posted to the OP earlier. I said I was personally ignoring my condition and did not want surgery and I have ignored the condition for years and lived in excruciating pain for so long that it's part of my life. Sounds really dumb, but I cannot afford to be laid up right now with a newborn and quite frankly, surgery scares the hell out of me.

Anyway, last night I went to run up the stairs and my right leg gave out with a pop sound and I felt a lightning bolt shoot from my spine to my toes and all the way back up the right leg and then burst into a pain 10x worse than I live with on a daily basis. I damn near fell down the stairs because my leg was absolutely numb. (Picture the worst charley horse that you ever experienced, amplified by 50 directly in your hip socket that radiates to your toes like one giant charley on steroids in your entire leg).

This winter, I will be going back to the doctor to solve my issue once and for all. In all honesty, I should have gone back after vics, percs and oxy stopped working.

To the OP - Do not take internet advice and go see your doctor . Too many people out there, will try to persuade you into their own ways and ideas of what works and what doesn't. Those people are the same ones that google their symptoms and self-medicate.

Note: This thread is 4312 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!