IGNORED

Who has more than one set of clubs and what do you do with them?

lhrocker
Note: This thread is 4217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Since there are so many golf clubs available and the latest and greatest comes out every year, I'm sure that most people have more than one complete set of clubs as well as multiple drivers/woods/irons/etc...  So, when you get something new to use, what do you do with the old club/set?  Do you still use the old ones even though they aren't your main clubs anymore?  Do you sell the old after you are satisfied with what you are currently using?  Getting the latest and greatest is something we all do, I think, but what happens to the old?

Being a guitarist, I have many guitars, but each one is a little different and is used for a specific tone.  With clubs, I would think that you would want that which makes you play the best.  Would you use a different set of clubs for a different course or what not?

I have a set of TaylorMade 200 irons in the bag, but I have a set of Ram TW Grind blades in the basement that I practice with to work on ballstriking.  The blade is very short, so I've got to be precise to hit them well.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I keep a complete set as a secondary "travel bag" for when I fly.   I have another bag with a 3rd set and more odds and ends that does nothing but collect dust.   As clubs are rotated into the 3rd bag, the oldest clubs are thrown away....

funny side note on flying:

I ALWAYS use a 2ndary set for flying, and never had any problems so I decided to take my primary set to St. Croix on our summer vacation last year.   After some plane problems, missed transfer flights, and changing Airlines along the way....................the clubs along with 5 of 6 checked bags went missing.....it was a 20hr day and we were all miserable.  I was wondering if I'd ever see my golf bag again!!

We basically had nothing...  We had no idea if or when our missing bags would arrive, so we spent the next morning shopping and buying new clothes since we had none...., clothing and swimsuits for the kids...etc, etc, etc....a fun way to spend the first morning on the island!....NOT

The missing bags and clubs did eventually arrive, but I promise you this.....I won't be flying with my primary set of clubs again!!!!!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I have a secondary/older set of clubs that I primarily use to give to my buddies who don't have a set and want to learn how to play or just want to go wack balls with me at the range.  I have no other reason to keep them besides that. Idk if I'd throw them out, because of sentimental reasons for it being my first full set I've ever had.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Originally Posted by phillyk

I have a secondary/older set of clubs that I primarily use to give to my buddies who don't have a set and want to learn how to play or just want to go wack balls with me at the range.  I have no other reason to keep them besides that. Idk if I'd throw them out, because of sentimental reasons for it being my first full set I've ever had.

X2

I have two sets of golf clubs...but 6 golf bags. My wife keeps asking me to get rid of the empty golf bags in the garage but I haven't

decided on or figured out a way to do that yet.   Ebay maybe?

and 37 guitars & 9 amps.

37 guitars!?

At home, I have nearly three complete sets (only two putters, but three drivers, three sets of irons, several woods, several wedges). I would like to get rid of two of them and then buy a new set. :)

At my parents place out in CA, I've got more than one complete set: two bags, two putters, two drivers (12 & 9.5), a 3-PW,  and 52, 56, 60 degree wedges. If someone else wants to play, we just split the irons odds & evens, and each bag gets a driver and a putter.

I don't want to fly with clubs.

I have the Nike Vr Pro Combo irons in my bag, but I also have a few other sets. Mizuno MP 57s and Adams CB3s, to be specific. I've got two extra bags set up with spare woods, wedges, and putters for when I play with friends (who mostly don't have clubs, or at least not clubs that are as nice as my spare sets). I'm not sure what I'd do if I flew anywhere. If it was a once-in-a-lifetime type course (Pebble, St. Andrews, that sort of thing), I'd probably bring the Nikes. Otherwise I would likely put the Adams in.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I have a set of wilson staff "goosenecks" 2-pw that do a teriffic job of making spider webs and catching mosquitos and flies in my shed, the spiders really like them too.This was my set from 92'-2007 I sometimes think I should probably get them reshafted (get rid of the boron graphite) and start using them more. I figured it was time to play a litle more forgiving/modern set Adams cb2's since I'm getting a bit older.

I have 3 sets of irons.  I have an old set of blades that I occassionally hit a few balls into my net with.  I'd sell them but they're worthless.  I'd toss them but there in perfect condition.  I'd consider giving them away but I'm the only person I know who would want a set of 1960's Wilson blades.

Then there are the Ping I5's.  I bought those when I thought I would develop a fast swing speed, want to work the ball and basically outgrow SGI irons too quickly to make them worthwile.  I keep them around basically as a reminder but also as a symbol of hope.  Distant far off hopefull hope that I'll someday understand why I would want to use these vs SGI clubs.

Then there are my Big Bertha 2008's.  The clubs I currently use.  I love these clubs and couldnt see ever wanting to switch.  It's like a whole bag full of 7irons  - each one is the safest club in my bag.  I think I could easily reach my golf potential with these clubs and never need anything more.

Plus I'm the kinda guy who tends to have a lot of "stuff" around his hobbies.  My garage is full of fishing gear and bikes so I needed more golf stuff to balance it out.  I keep my 8 guitars inside, lol.

I have Gauge Design muscle back irons as my second set.

Because I travel often to Asia for business, I keep this set there.  I often golf with clients out there and got tired of lugging my clubs around.  So I bought a set of Gauge Design irons and have it stored there.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Check my sig for my current set that I'm using...  But I also have a set of 762's and Zing's (Red Dot) along with several drivers (R11 TP, 975J)  and putters in the garage collecting dust.  I've been eyeing a new set of MP-69's.  So the MP-59's might get retired soon too?

Yup, 2 and a half full bags. Like Buckeye, I have a travel bag. Its top knotch gear, but its not my primary set. Nike VR blades 5-PW, G20 driver, Cleveland wedges, and a SC 009 putter. G10 3 and 5 woods. G10 3 and 4 hybrid.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I have 4 sets of irons, 3 drivers, 2  3 woods, 5 wood, 7 wood, 4 hybrids, and 6 putters some times I do swap out clubs but for the most part they sit in my basement.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I have sets of Ping Eye2s, Eye2+s, Zings and Zing2s.  Have been playing the Zings for the last two years because I hit so straight with them.  But I'm fond of the other sets and have no desire to sell them.  They were all bought used and together cost less than a single new set of comparable quality would cost.  The Eye2s and the Zing2s are better under soggy fairway conditions than the Eye2+s and the Zings.  They're all fine clubs.

I only have one full set.  I did recently upgraded my wedges and just bought a new driver yesterday, so I have an extra driver and SW now.  I've decided to hold onto them and actually eventually pick up a second set of cheap irons as I'm moving and would like to have a second set for when people come to visit.

My brother has two full sets.  He bought a complete set (Hagans) when he first started and recently upgraded to Adams irons, Ping woods and an Odyssey putter.  He hangs onto the second set and lends it to friends or family when they come to visit.  (That's how I got the idea for a second set when I move)

BuckeyeNut - have you ever thought of shipping the main set FedEx?  I would never check my clubs (a friend of mine used to work in baggage in college and told me some stories) or anything expensive for that matter.  Never used FedEx, but heard it's a bit more reliable.

As for guitars... I only find a need for the four I have to get all the tones I need:  Deluxe Strat, Deluxe Tele, Gibson ES-335, Martin D28.  However, I do understand how addicting it can be to want 37 guitars because there are a lot of pretty cool guitars out there.  I used to have 9, but decided that was over kill for me.

I have 3 full sets  ( 2x in China and One in Malaysia )

My main set is at my club ( it is about 25Miles from where i stay )

My 2nd Set which is identical to my main set ( older driver and wood, same iron but different shaft  ) is always in my car for my practice at the range or for travelling within China or to the US.

My 3rd set is back in Malaysia whn i go back for holiday . They are really old models back in 2000.

What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

Note: This thread is 4217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!