IGNORED

Johnny Miller Master Thread

wengerlaw
Note: This thread is 3296 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Thoughts on Johnny Miller (as an announcer)

• Johnny's one of the best announcers in the game
    • Ehh... he's OK
    • I hope Johnny and his nasally voice go away... forever

I don't understand. Are you saying Johnny Miller doesn't know how to hit a cut? I didn't hear him make the comment you said he made regarding that particular shot by Tiger. Not trying to defend Miller I would guess he was describing an unwanted effect on the part of Tiger who mistakingly opened the face of his club at impact. I think you'll agree it's a mistake that can happen for any number of reasons. I mean, all I'm saying is there can be no doubt about the fact Johnny Miller knows how to hit cuts and hooks, or any kind of golf shot, don't you think? Or maybe it was his wording you objected to...

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Jumbo Debt

I don't understand. Are you saying Johnny Miller doesn't know how to hit a cut? I didn't hear him make the comment you said he made regarding that particular shot by Tiger. Not trying to defend Miller I would guess he was describing an unwanted effect on the part of Tiger who mistakingly opened the face of his club at impact. I think you'll agree it's a mistake that can happen for any number of reasons. I mean, all I'm saying is there can be no doubt about the fact Johnny Miller knows how to hit cuts and hooks, or any kind of golf shot, don't you think? Or maybe it was his wording you objected to...

He knows how to hit a cut, he just can't describe how it's done properly. Or put another way, his body knows, his brain does not.

Tiger did not open the clubface at impact. He hit the ball on the toe slightly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 5 months later...

I've absolutely had it.

Is there anyone in the HISTORY of sports color commentary whose statements are more pejorative, sanctimonious, and just plain negative than this cantankerous *** hole ?

The only time this taint has anything to say is when someone screws up. When someone does well, he's either found silent, or pointing to something negative that's loosely related to the positive...

Here's a thought, Johnny Perfection: IT'S THE U.S. OPEN . 156 players started this tournament, and as of the writing of this post, TWO are under par...

TWO.

But you would have played this course perfectly, right? You'd be 7-under by now, right mister golf legend?

I'm this close to muting my television.

taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 1.0: 10.5* Driver, 15* 3-wood

adams.gif a5OS Hybrid/Irons Set: 3h-5h, 6-PW

adams.gif "Tom Watson Classic" Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*
taylormade.gif Est 79 TM-770 Putter, "Fontana" Pattern

xFIXx

• Administrator
Originally Posted by WalkTheCourse

The only time this taint has anything to say is when someone screws up.

That'd be easy to disprove.

Edit: Oops, that didn't take long. You're wrong - he just said something very positive about someone.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

JM seems to be mellowing a bit; you can even see/hear him trying to stifle a negative comment & replacing it with something at least less negative.

He still needs to work on his defensiveness. He & Maltbie sometimes tangle where JM says something & Roger may challenge it & JM has to jump to rephrase or try to prove himself right. Causes moments of awkwardness.

Certainly his knowledge of the game is second to none. But he doesn't need to keep reminding us of that.

Originally Posted by WalkTheCourse

I've absolutely had it.

Is there anyone in the HISTORY of sports color commentary whose statements are more pejorative, sanctimonious, and just plain negative than this cantankerous ***hole?

The only time this taint has anything to say is when someone screws up. When someone does well, he's either found silent, or pointing to something negative that's loosely related to the positive...

Here's a thought, Johnny Perfection: IT'S THE U.S. OPEN. 156 players started this tournament, and as of the writing of this post, TWO are under par...

TWO.

But you would have played this course perfectly, right? You'd be 7-under by now, right mister golf legend?

I'm this close to muting my television.

You obviously aren't watching the same broadcast I am.   And he isn't the only one who's calling the bad shots stinkers.  There are a couple of other's with microphones who have made the same negative comments.  And all of them, including Miller, praise the good shots too.  You are apparently seeing only through your anti-Miller glasses, and there is more to the broadcast  than that.

There is no other commentator in the game who can do what Johnny does, and that's call the shots right off the clubface.  One shot today, I don't remember who it was, the moment the ball was struck Johnny asked "Did that sound a bit fat?", and sure enough, a few seconds later the ball lands on the green just about a full club short.  He has to have ears like a rabbit to catch that distinction so accurately, so often.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

You obviously aren't watching the same broadcast I am.   And he isn't the only one who's calling the bad shots stinkers.  There are a couple of other's with microphones who have made the same negative comments.  And all of them, including Miller, praise the good shots too.  You are apparently seeing only through your anti-Miller glasses, and there is more to the broadcast  than that.

Correct. Miller spends a lot of his time praising the swings and technique of lots of players.

People make things up about him - the Bill Haas chip from the edge of the water was a perfect example. Miller said that the shot might not be as hard as it actually appears. Of course, this was interpreted as "This is an easy shot".

But it was a but funny yesterday when he was trying to compare the clubface in super slow motion from heavy rough before and after impact. I think it may have been Luke Donald. He was saying  how the hosel had rolled over and then abruptly stopped talking when it was shown not to have.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Meh... I could take him or leave him... What I really hate is when he gets going on his final round 63...there's a recent article in Golf Magazine that's all about that round and he was basically self-fellating through the whole thing... I didn't know he was that flexible...

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

Meh... I could take him or leave him... What I really hate is when he gets going on his final round 63

Despite the fact that he never does mention it.....

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

JM seems to be mellowing a bit; you can even see/hear him trying to stifle a negative comment & replacing it with something at least less negative.

True...and the guy knew how to win when his game was on- 25 PGA Tour wins out of 105 top 10s and 51 top 3s is a good ratio.  As a comparison Rose has 5 wins, 49 top 10s and 17 top 3s.

His last win was probably the most impressive having only played in 7 events the 4 previous years.

Miller has definitely chilled out a bit. Who can forget his comments at Winged Foot when Mickelson hit the hospitality tent of the tee on 18? "Right now, Ben Hogan has officially rolled over in his grave." I watched that replay a few weeks ago and laughed my ass off when I heard that.

Wow, the hostility on this thread directed at Johnny Miller surprises me.  He does speak his mind and isn't afraid to talk about the "super stars" on the PGA and I find him refreshing changed from the worship given by many of the announcers.  I believe Johnny is reasonable balanced in his comments and does also praise the good play and shots.

For the record Johnny Miller was one of the best mid iron players of all time in his prime and unlike most of us he did win a US Open.

Butch

Originally Posted by Shorty

Despite the fact that he never does mention it.....

did you read the article i referenced?  it was the Golf Magazine US Open preview issue.

Colin P.

• 3 months later...

I know many golf fans who do not like Johnny Miller for a variety of reasons. I have always defended him and said that I like his honesty and candid commentary.

As of today I am in the "do not like" Miller camp. During the third round of the Tour Championship, the camera focused on an Auburn University fan holding two umbrellas. Miller said "He must have taken those from two old ladies". What was the point of the comment? The fan isn't a player. Miller wasn't commentating on a shot made. That was a rude remark by, what I now believe is, a rude man. Miller is a jerk. As a matter of fact, he and NBC deserve each other.

I know many golf fans who do not like Johnny Miller for a variety of reasons. I have always defended him and said that I like his honesty and candid commentary.

As of today I am in the "do not like" Miller camp. During the third round of the Tour Championship, the camera focused on an Auburn University fan holding two umbrellas. Miller said "He must have taken those from two old ladies". What was the point of the comment? The fan isn't a player. Miller wasn't commentating on a shot made. That was a rude remark by, what I now believe is, a rude man. Miller is a jerk. As a matter of fact, he and NBC deserve each other.

We're sort of over-reacting to an attempt at a bit of humor, aren't we?  You need to chill out a bit.  What did he hurt with that?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Yea, lighten up Francis....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 3296 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!