IGNORED

Anyone Here Play Disc Golf?

iacas

Received a new disc golf bag along with a couple of new discs from the grandkids (ages 15-21).  I took them out for a round several times in 2016 along with an outing at the disc golf course at Boyne Mountain (hilly!!).  With a lot of the snow gone, I may have to get out there over the New Year's weekend.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Received a new disc golf bag along with a couple of new discs from the grandkids (ages 15-21).  I took them out for a round several times in 2016 along with an outing at the disc golf course at Boyne Mountain (hilly!!).  With a lot of the snow gone, I may have to get out there over the New Year's weekend.

Nice. What'd you get? Deets, man!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

49 minutes ago, iacas said:

Nice. What'd you get? Deets, man!

I am not a good disc tosser, just a novice with time on my hands.  The bag is nice (Innova) and looks more like what I see others using. Possibly their "Competition" model.  My old bag was a square box with a shoulder strap.  Disc's details I do not recall off the top of my head.  Innova. Driver & mid-range.

I always tell people that my disc golf tosses pretty much go the same distance whether it is a Driver, Fairway or Mid-Range.  I doubt there would be much difference in my results with a full bag or just a Driver and Putter.  

Brian Kuehn

• 2 weeks later...

Having fun with some long putts this morning...my bad.

• Upvote 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

• 8 months later...

I've only played disc golf once, played soccer golf twice but with the new addition of a local disc golf I may have to buy some discs and learn the game.  

What's your experience, where are other disc courses in Michigan.

New Flint Disc Course

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Pens backup goalie is turning into a pretty good disc golfer too.

954 rated player, too. Not bad.

https://www.pdga.com/player/101294

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

They just built a disc golf course at our local city park. Me and Jacob may try it out soon

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I have bought some used disc but this year past by so quickly that I haven't played.   :doh:

Me either. 😞

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2017 at 5:27 PM, dennyjones said:

I've only played disc golf once, played soccer golf twice but with the new addition of a local disc golf I may have to buy some discs and learn the game.  

What's your experience, where are other disc courses in Michigan.

New Flint Disc Course

Kensington Metro Park (Milford) as a course (18 holes).  Very heavily forested.  Hudson Mills (Dexter) has two 18 hole courses.  Ann Arbor has an 18 hole course and a 9 holer.  The nine is really tight, swampy and forested.  There are a few others around but those are the ones I have played.

The beauty of disc golf is when there is no snow on the ground (or very little), one can play in the winter. Just leave the white discs at home.  Florescent orange is a good color. 😉

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Florescent orange is a good color. 😉

In the winter, absolutely. In the fall, no. 🙂

• 1 month later...

Been wanting to try this for a while.  Got my son and me an Innova starter set with an Avian (putter), Shark (mid-range), and Leopard (FW-driver).  We got to play our fist round on the day after Christmas.  Thoughts:

• It's a whole lot harder than I figured it'd be right out of the gate; I've thrown a lot of frisbee in my life and wondered "how hard can this really be?" It was a pretty windy day--which made it much more challenging--but I quickly found there's much more technique involved than I figured--to achieve a good, accurate flight and make pars
  • I love that it's very cheap to play (our 3-disc set cost $20, and all 3 courses in Tuscaloosa are park-board operated and completely free to play)
  • I like that you can knock through a round pretty quickly relative to 18 in golf, without as much warmup--so I don't have to plan my day around a disc-round
  • We did get better through the round (thankfully). Afterwards, I watched some vids on footwork and a consistent, level disc pull going into the throw, and my practice today was much better
  • After that first round, I came away swearing I needed a "driver", as the Leopard is a 6/5/-2/1 (6 is speed, out of 13 I think), and my drives were maxing out at 200'-ish. After, I read here where @iacas here in this thread--and lots of experts on the web--say don't rush to the driver.  So I'll keep working on form with the discs I have.
1 of the 3 local courses is in the park where I fly RC--which I do on early weekend mornings--so I took the discs today and worked on my technique...focusing on the x-step and pull.  Got much better with my throws.  Then I worked on my putting.  Tried the popular square-facing method...improved some, but I need to work on this more.

For anyone out there that's been thinking of trying it - DO IT!!!  It's super-cheap, fun, and will get in some decent exercise...I think I ended up with ~6k steps (the course we played is quite long and spread out) and a well-worked right shoulder. ;-)
  • Like 1

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

• 1 month later...

So, we're playing pretty much every weekend that the weather allows, now.  I had been a tad bummed that I didn't seem to be getting much better, but last Sunday we made 2 rounds at the most difficult of our 3 local courses (in dense woods with lots of elevation change).  We both made our first birdies!  A total of 7 between us, in fact.  My first was actually ~100'-125' around a little group of trees; it was a really nice throw, but I had no thought of making it...was just trying to make a good throw and setup for an easy par.

Overall, I can really see I'm getting both more power and control.  A big indicator is that my drives are turning over and don't fade much anymore...and one 9-speed driver I had found (no number to return it) had been super-difficult to throw due to no flip and a huge fade tendency--I can now get it out there a long ways with just a tiny fade at the end.  But also, a key was moving up to more friendly tees (hmm...that point sounds familiar).  We ignorantly had just been walking to the first tee pads we came too--i.e., the "tips".  :doh: Bad practice in ball golf...equally bad in disc golf.

But I'd say we're officially hooked.  My son just landed a position at NASA (Redstone/Hunstville, AL...first job!...woohoo!) and one of our first thoughts was to look up the local courses! ;-)

So far I've found about 7-8 discs with numbers, and spend a few minutes every weekend texting folks that I found 'em and where I left 'em.  Imagine if we started putting our cell numbers on our golf balls.  Ha.

8 minutes ago, BamaWade said:

So, we're playing pretty much every weekend that the weather allows, now.  I had been a tad bummed that I didn't seem to be getting much better, but last Sunday we made 2 rounds at the most difficult of our 3 local courses (in dense woods with lots of elevation change).  We both made our first birdies!  A total of 7 between us, in fact.  My first was actually ~100'-125' around a little group of trees; it was a really nice throw, but I had no thought of making it...was just trying to make a good throw and setup for an easy par.

Overall, I can really see I'm getting both more power and control.  A big indicator is that my drives are turning over and don't fade much anymore...and one 9-speed driver I had found (no number to return it) had been super-difficult to throw due to no flip and a huge fade tendency--I can now get it out there a long ways with just a tiny fade at the end.  But also, a key was moving up to more friendly tees (hmm...that point sounds familiar).  We ignorantly had just been walking to the first tee pads we came too--i.e., the "tips".  :doh: Bad practice in ball golf...equally bad in disc golf.

But I'd say we're officially hooked.  My son just landed a position at NASA (Redstone/Hunstville, AL...first job!...woohoo!) and one of our first thoughts was to look up the local courses! ;-)

So far I've found about 7-8 discs with numbers, and spend a few minutes every weekend texting folks that I found 'em and where I left 'em.  Imagine if we started putting our cell numbers on our golf balls.  Ha.

Very cool.   Congrats on your son's job.    thanks for sharing.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 4 months later...
On 2/7/2019 at 9:51 AM, BamaWade said:

I just started last Thanksgiving thanks to my bother that works at Redstone there in Huntsville.  Haven't played any courses there just a 18 hole par 3 course in Arab, AL where my bother lives.  I really enjoyed it and bought a starter pack and played a couple of times around here.  

On 6/18/2019 at 3:33 PM, rrives said:

I just started last Thanksgiving thanks to my bother that works at Redstone there in Huntsville.  Haven't played any courses there just a 18 hole par 3 course in Arab, AL where my bother lives.  I really enjoyed it and bought a starter pack and played a couple of times around here.

Very cool.  I still haven't played up in the Huntsville area.  We're planning a trip up there to visit and supposed to get in some, then.  Supposedly there's some pretty decent courses in North Alabama (and the BHM area, too).  I've still only played the 3 local courses here.  Hoped to play next week while in Florida, but there doesn't appear to be any courses in the south Walton area close to where we'll be.  Definitely looking forward to eventually playing some other tracks, though--as I'm still really enjoying it, and playing most every week.

If you ever come through Tuscaloosa and are able to play, hit up the course at Bower's Park.  I feel like it's far and away our best track--and definitely worth the time if you're in town.  Just bring your hiking boots w/you, as it's certainly a hike...especially when some of the baskets are across the creek at the lower part of the course.

• iacas changed the title to Anyone Here Play Disc Golf?
  • 7 months later...

Have decided to play more disc golf once the weather allows. Once I start playing more I will likely look for some sort of league or local tournament to try. There are over 10 courses within 30 minutes of my house and I have only played 3 of them.

Played previously with just a Innova Shark mid range as my only disc (no putter or driver) but I just ordered a Discraft Luna Putter (3,3,0,3) and a Discraft Buzzz SS Midrange (5,4,-2,1)

From my somewhat limited understanding of the terms/definitions, the Buzzz SS is slightly understable which should give me the ability to throw an anhyzer (Right to left flight for a left hand back hand thrower) which is a shot I have not had previously. I can throw big left to right hyzers with the Shark but struggled when I was faced with a shot that called for a right to left flight.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Was able to get out this afternoon and play 9 holes. It was pretty windy and a bit soggy/muddy but I shot a +2, 2 bogeys and 7 pars, all the holes were par 3s.

Distance and amount of curve on my tee shots are definitely my weakest area, I need to watch some videos and learn the proper technique.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV