IGNORED

My Swing (Jetfan1983)

JetFan1983

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer 4

JetFan, I'd gladly trade you swings any day of the week. You wanna see Ugly, you should see my swing...

Where is your MySwing thread @Hammer 4?

Yeah...lets see it..... :-D

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. Β You are a little steep at A5 in both swings, which is exactly what I am fighting. Β Is your flight a straight draw every time? Β My last session, I changed my swing thought to having the butt of the club point above the ball at A5. Β It helped the driver flight, although I was still steep.

I could try that out. I think I have from time to time. It's tough. My backswing I'm sure has a lot to do with it. I really want to clean up this right arm thing... which I am, I think. Anyway, I agree that shallowing is something I need to be focused on in some fashion, either directly or indirectly.

I play a push-draw when I hit it on the sweet spot. When I hit it on the toe it's generally a push-over draw or pull draw of some kind. The pull-draw happens when I mis-time my flip. Club overtakes the hands and the face closes and that's the ball flight I get.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. Β You are a little steep at A5 in both swings, which is exactly what I am fighting. Β Is your flight a straight draw every time? Β My last session, I changed my swing thought to having the butt of the club point above the ball at A5. Β It helped the driver flight, although I was still steep.

I agree with boogie. Β Swing does not look ugly to me. Β I have seen some pretty ugly ones out there.

Haha, appreciate it. I guess it really is a lot different than those OP swings and a lot different than the horrendous swing I had in 2011 (somewhere on this thread). Gotta remind myself of that.

@JetFan1983, I know I've said this before, but I'll say it again (and again, and again, if I have to): you are WAY too hard on yourself.

Yep. I guess because I know what I wished it looked like haha. :-D

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

I agree with boogie. Β Swing does not look ugly to me. Β I have seen some pretty ugly ones out there.

I see one every time I get ready to post to my My Swing thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by billchao

@JetFan1983, I know I've said this before, but I'll say it again (and again, and again, if I have to): you are WAY too hard on yourself.

+1

Hehe, see that's how I feel usually. It's great though how we're all in this together in a lot of ways. On the course it can sometimes feel it's me vs. the world, and the world hates me, but when I get back to TST, I realize it ain't that way at all... the world hates all of us . :-D

Kidding. What I mean is, we all share that desire to improve.

JetFan, I'd gladly trade you swings any day of the week. You wanna see Ugly, you should see my swing...

Yeah, let's see it!

I'm my own worst critic, so I get the hesitation. I joined TST in 2008 and didn't start a swing thread until 2012. Took me a while to warm up to it.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlSpackler

Quote:

Yeah...lets see it.....

+2 but I understand if you're not into it right now.

Thanks, guys, for the positive thoughts. I really appreciate it! :beer:

Constantine

Quite honestly, I think you have a great swing. I don't suggest fitting into any player's mold. You have a fluid and smooth swing. As long as you feel the dynamics through the swing, keep doing what you're doing. Like Arnold says, swing your swing. It really looks good.

• 1 month later...

I've been playing really well the last few weeks. My last three rounds have been 77-82-78. My short game and putting have been my strength, but I've also been keeping it in play off the tee really well. Irons and wedges are still the weakness, but I'm seeing good improvements there. More sweet spot hits with my 56 to my 7-iron.

I'm only playing from 6100 yards or so, so I get to avoid my four worst clubs: 6-iron, 5-iron, 4-iron and 3-hybrid. I'm starting to practice more with those just to get reps.

My current priorities are folding my right arm more and feeling a tad palmar flexion from 6 to 7. Both are looking pretty good. I still need to feel them to make them happen, but hopefully in a few weeks or so they'll be second nature and I can work on something else. Still, I'm really happy with the progress so far, especially with my right arm's fold rate. Looks so much better. And, I can play golf using that swing thought! Huge.

Eventually I want to work on squatting in the early downswing to square up my knees, help rotation, use the ground for power, and shallow the club. I'd also like the shorten the swing at some point, but I always seem to be working on that one.

I'd also like to get a steeper shaft plane on the backswing, but one thing at a time right now haha.

Here's a 9-iron from today. Not bad. Definitely playing good golf for me. I may be closer to an 8 index these days, but who knows (and who cares). I'm very optimistic right now :-)

Constantine

• 2 months later...

Hmmm, I haven't updated this in a while. Here's me ripping a driver tonight before the sun went down. Really nice pull-fade. Went pretty far.

Swings too long still and I'm too shallow-to-steep as usual, but I love how I'm getting my right arm to fold the way we want now. Also, my elbows are tilted better and not level to the ground, so that's good too. I don't look too connected either.

I'm playing the tips at my home course every time now, which run 7050 yards, 74.3, 143, so it's a tough challenge. I've been doing okay… maybe playing to around an 8 or something. Anyway, I still gotta shorten this thing.

Encouraged though by my progress.

Right arm folding… right elbow lower than the left at A5, right knee regaining flexion… not bad… It's changing at least.

I want to be able to stop here:

I'll keep at it.

Constantine

OK, after some further review last night and today, I think my priority piece is to regain flexion hard (chest down) into 6.

Obviously other issues like the swing being too long and the elbows separating, but I think the body motion is better… I think… stop me if you feel it necessary to do so.

Here's me working on it:

Seems better than yesterday:

Constantine

I like this. Keep "torquing" those ankles into the ground to help you open up, "regain flexion" as you said. That'll keep the right heel banked while the heel comes off the ground and keep the arms working with the pivot. In the more recent swings you can see your tailbone at A7, that's great, you were too closed with the other swings.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Thanks for the response, @mvmac ! Always much appreciated. I'll keep mapping it out: get back into flexion/chest down, drive feet into ground, regain knee flex/open up.

In the fast motion swing, I'm clearly squatting too early and then jumping too early, among other issues like swinging too long on the back stroke and having some elbow separation at A5, but if I just stick to mapping, I should be okay.

Again, thanks for the help. Cheers, Mike. :beer:

Constantine

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I've updated this. I'm working on some of the same stuff.

Backswing swing thought: Fold the trail arm.

Downswing swing though: Open hips as much as possible.

Other stuff goes haywire as a result… swing plane gets steep… ehhh, not great obviously, but I'm gonna keep working on these two things until I don't have to think about them anymore. I can hit the ball okay with these thoughts. It'd be nice to trust the shallowing because I know I can shallow this out and hit it better from there, but it's hard to think about anything more than 1) fold the right arm 2) open hips, right now.

I was playing great a couple months ago, but I seem to have regressed. Probably because my right arm had gotten too straight at 2 and 3, the swing got long, and I had a lot of timing to achieve in order to hit the ball consistently well.

I can't remember what I'm hitting here. Looks like a short iron of some kind. Good stuff with the right arm and keeping the swing somewhat short. Crazy I can open up even more with the hips. Anyway, gonna keep at it.

Sorry, it looks like I screwed up the camera angle again.

Constantine

Sorry, it looks like I screwed up the camera angle again.

Yeah please get that right ;-) Makes the downswing appear a little steeper than it actually is. Overall swing looks pretty good.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

I probably should get a face on too, but here's me hitting a heel cut with driver. Yuck.

I neutralized my grip quite a bit, but it's actually more conventional now. Using the grip Mike posted about here:

I used to grip it all in the fingers with my left hand, meaning it was super, super strong. It was easy as hell to swing in-to-out with that grip, but I had too much trouble controlling the face. So I went to this more neutral setting and was amazing at how much I started to swing over-the-top. So here's my getting back to a more inside-out path.

Anyway, I'm hitting a heel cut here, which seems to be my favorite miss now (I'm being sarcastic). This new motion looks decent enough to me, but I'm just wondering if there's something insanely dumb here that I'm doing that one of you guys can spot and stop me from doing.

I do like how I've figure out how to shorten my backswing though. Folding the right arm early and hard has been the key for that.

Anyway, with the new grip and having to think about the right arm, I guess I'm not really giving myself the greatest chance at finding the sweet spot in the short term, especially since I have to think about keeping the arms and club head in so much. But, I think the general idea of this looks good. The exit is super low, which concerns me, so maybe I'll try to raise it if I can.

Thoughts, anyone?

Constantine

@JetFan1983 ,

What's with the sweater? Β Have you lost your Northeast mojo already? :-)

Swing looks nice to me. Β Stephan had me do the same with my grip last year. Β It helped with launch angle and was a bit more controllable.

I like the elbow thought too, which is part of what I am working on. Β It wasn't really clear what you were asking for us to comment on BTW.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I probably should get a face on too, but here's me hitting a heel cut with driver. Yuck.

I neutralized my grip quite a bit, but it's actually more conventional now. Using the grip Mike posted about here:

I used to grip it all in the fingers with my left hand, meaning it was super, super strong. It was easy as hell to swing in-to-out with that grip, but I had too much trouble controlling the face. So I went to this more neutral setting and was amazing at how much I started to swing over-the-top. So here's my getting back to a more inside-out path.

Anyway, I'm hitting a heel cut here, which seems to be my favorite miss now (I'm being sarcastic). This new motion looks decent enough to me, but I'm just wondering if there's something insanely dumb here that I'm doing that one of you guys can spot and stop me from doing.

I do like how I've figure out how to shorten my backswing though. Folding the right arm early and hard has been the key for that.

Anyway, with the new grip and having to think about the right arm, I guess I'm not really giving myself the greatest chance at finding the sweet spot in the short term, especially since I have to think about keeping the arms and club head in so much. But, I think the general idea of this looks good. The exit is super low, which concerns me, so maybe I'll try to raise it if I can.

Thoughts, anyone?

You just posted this to show off all of that hair, didn't you? (jackass!)

Seriously though ... swing looks good to me. Β Was this a push, straight, or pull heel cut? Β Because the cut part is unimportant, right? Β I mean, presumably, the cut comes from the gear effect, doesn't it?

I've been hitting the heel a lot more with my driver lately too, incidentally. Β Also shank it with my irons more frequently too. Β I actually find it a bit encouraging though, because my miss was always out on the toe and I obviously compensated to make solid contact. Β Now I feel like I must be doing something correct earlier on in the swing and I'm still compensating where I don't need to be, hence the heel contact.

@JetFan1983Β ,

What's with the sweater? Β Have you lost your Northeast mojo already?

Swing looks nice to me. Β Stephan had me do the same with my grip last year. Β It helped with launch angle and was a bit more controllable.

I like the elbow thought too, which is part of what I am working on. Β It wasn't really clear what you were asking for us to comment on BTW.

Sorry, it was 68 degrees out and I was freezing :-D

Yea, the elbow thought it helping. I really hope I don't have to think about it some day soon because it's not the best thought for solid contact. But man does the backswing look better on video when I fold the arm correctly.

I guess I was just asking if you guys saw anything glaringly stupid that I was doing, just in case I had tunnel vision and couldn't see it. I know the shaft steepens in the early downswing, so that's probably related to the low exit point and maybe the heel hit? Regardless, I should probably work on shallow anyway.

In the regards to the grip, I really am pleasantly surprised with how much the path and face angle have changed throughout my swing. If nothing else, it's been a good learning experience about swings in general.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Thoughts, anyone?

You just posted this to show off all of that hair, didn't you? Β (jackass!)

Seriously though ... swing looks good to me. Β Was this a push, straight, or pull heel cut? Β Because the cut part is unimportant, right? Β I mean, presumably, the cut comes from the gear effect, doesn't it?

I've been hitting the heel a lot more with my driver lately too, incidentally. Β Also shank it with my irons more frequently too. Β I actually find it a bit encouraging though, because my miss was always out on the toe and I obviously compensated to make solid contact. Β Now I feel like I must be doing something correct earlier on in the swing and I'm still compensating where I don't need to be, hence the heel contact.

Haha, yes, I need a hair cut. Badly. It was a severe downwind though, so maybe that's contributing to the crazy look at the finish there.

It was I think a slight pull-fade with really no power (maybe 210 yard carry?) as I think I hit this majorly off the heel. I seem to be doing that a lot lately. But yea, I would assume some of the cut is from gear effect.

I seem to only heel hit my driver though, which is weird.

I do like the backswing aside from it being too shallow at 3. And the downswing looks okay aside from being too steep at 5.

Hmmmm.

Constantine

I guess I was just asking if you guys saw anything glaringly stupid that I was doing, just in case I had tunnel vision and couldn't see it. I know the shaft steepens in the early downswing, so that's probably related to the low exit point and maybe the heel hit? Regardless, I should probably work on shallow anyway.

Have you seen this video? [Video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kySNQe7oHPw[/video] Your swing is a lot less wild than mine, but if it's anything like what I'm working on, the steep transition causes you to throw the hands out in order to shallow the club, which leads to the clubhead overtaking the hands too quickly and thus the low left exit. The heel hit (my miss, as well) is what happens when the timing of the throwing move is off and the sweetspot gets too far outside the ball. [quote name="JetFan1983" url="/t/60868/my-swing-jetfan1983/240#post_1093051"] I do like the backswing aside from it being too shallow at 3. And the downswing looks okay aside from being too steep at 5.Β  [/quote]Steeper at A3 and shallower at A5, then :-P Really, your swing looks good. If I can get my backswing even half as good as yours, I'd be able to play some pretty good golf.

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I do like the backswing aside from it being too shallow at 3. And the downswing looks okay aside from being too steep at 5.

Nice to know we're basically working on the EXACT same thing. :-P

So we do we just flip flop those two positions? Β Turn our 5's into our 3's and our 3's into our 5's?? :beer:

My feel right now for that is to try and come STRAIGHT UP from A2 to A4. Β It's definitely helping my A3 ... but hasn't yet translated into much difference at 5. Β (Side Note: Β Old Enough to randomly came up on my headphones. ;)) Β For that, I'm experimenting with an older feel I got from Stephan - the "revving" move to try and lay the shaft down at A4+.

"When I was young I thought I knew

youre probably thinking you know too

well, do you?

well, do you?"

:beer: