IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[QUOTE name="mvmac" url="/t/62766/decision-on-anchored-putters-is-coming-soon/100_100#post_787835"]

AND [URL=http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/banning-anchored-putting-stroke-usga-proves-it-focused-wrong-thing?sct=hp_t2_a9[/QUOTE] And when they talk about the "difficulty" of the game, I highly doubt putting is at the top of THAT list, either. Surely it's that they slice the shit out of the ball and shank it in the weeds twelve times a round.

Are you stalking me Erik? I think the back excuse is bs. The half bend at full swing address is just as bad as the standard putting position.

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would like to be the first to congratulate Tiger and Brandt for their win at "The Open" this year. Effectively stripping any merit to Ernie and Scott's performance due to use of the illegal putters. :-P

My favorite reaction is from the always-eloquent Bubba Watson: "Bubba Watson: 'My reaction is: three years from now? Some of the people are probably going to be retired by then. ... I don't understand. They make a rule, but [it goes into effect] three years from now. If they make a rule, why wouldn't it be immediate? It's just funny how it is. But a lot of people have some disagreements about it. But they changed the grooves and now they're changing the anchoring. If they make the rule change, then it's what they do, you know?'"

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

This spring I resolved that I was going to get a new putter. We had all kinds in the pro shop and I took about 15 different putters (belly and traditional) out to the practice putting green. After about 50 minutes I kept coming back to the Nike Method Concept Belly Putter. It just felt great to me. After buying it for $250, I spent the next few weeks really working on the technique of using it. I became a better putter than any other point in my 35+ years of playing golf. I have purchased no other putter (or club) that had made such a distinct difference in my performance. It definitely made the game more enjoyable for me. I play in a competitive golf league (strictly by the rules) and keep an official GHIN handicap, so I’ll switch back when the time comes. :-(

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

This spring I resolved that I was going to get a new putter. We had all kinds in the pro shop and I took about 15 different putters (belly and traditional) out to the practice putting green. After about 50 minutes I kept coming back to the Nike Method Concept Belly Putter. It just felt great to me. After buying it for $250, I spent the next few weeks really working on the technique of using it.

I became a better putter than any other point in my 35+ years of playing golf. I have purchased no other putter (or club) that had made such a distinct difference in my performance.

It definitely made the game more enjoyable for me.

I play in a competitive golf league (strictly by the rules) and keep an official GHIN handicap, so I’ll switch back when the time comes.

But I can say the same thing about a putter which is still going to be completely legal for the foreseeable future.  For whatever reason, it made a difference in the repeatability of my putting stroke, but it's still a standard stroke, with a standard length putter.  It doesn't always take a change in stroke type to make a big change in one's game.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

But I can say the same thing about a putter which is still going to be completely legal for the foreseeable future.  For whatever reason, it made a difference in the repeatability of my putting stroke, but it's still a standard stroke, with a standard length putter.  It doesn't always take a change in stroke type to make a big change in one's game.

I don't know if my experience mirrors your own, but my putting is the first thing to go "bad" if I don't practice regularly, and the easiest thing to see improvement in with regular practice.

I can spend an hour a day on practice greens and after a week my putting has improved dramatically.  But an hour a day on the practice range and after a week I'm just out 50 bucks from the range balls with little actual improvement.

I have also never been one of those people who falls for the "this new piece of equipment will make you a better golfer" crap so I have a little trouble believing that it's ONLY the putters that are improving anyone's putting IN GENERAL.  However, specifically addressing high-pressure putts where nerves come into play, I DO believe that anchoring gives an advantage because it eliminates involuntary muscle movements that come with stress.

In summary, the only reason I think people are seeing improvements in their general putting is because they have a new "toy" and are just practicing more, or maybe it's just that they're FOCUSING on their practice more because they're learning a different stroke.

The solution, in my opinion, isn't to buy a new putter or try a different method, it's to learn how to apply that focus in every practice session.  Practice with purpose.  Don't just hit balls.

But then again, this is my experience and I don't know how common my experience is.

The USGA has asked for comment. Here is my comment, sent this morning.

If you feel as strongly about this as I do, I encourage you to express a similar reaction.

The "anchoring" rule change does not affect me. I use a 43-inch putter in a manner described as legal under the new rules, with my arm firmly "anchored" to my body through my shoulder connection, forearm not touching the body.

However, this
(rule change) is unnecessary, and not, as your copyrighted slogan says, "For the Good of the Game."

You can count on NOT receiving my renewed membership in your organization.

Originally Posted by inthehole

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

This is amazing. I cannot wait to see the effect on all pros currently using an anchored stroke out there, whether it be the day to day, or down the stretch of a major. If some can overcome it, that's awesome. If some cannot? Wow... that's going to be sad... but entertaining.

I don't see it as a huge deal at the pro level ... all current pro's learned with a standard putter - it'll just be a matter of going back to what they used to do.     They will not like it (in fact, there will be much kicking and screaming), but as I've always said, this ruling makes us all HAVE to use the same tool for the job ... I give the USGA props - took guts to make this ruling for the betterment of the game.

I do wonder if any pro's will quit anchoring it as it will likely be perceived by many now as "cheating" , or if they will continue to use it anchored up until the bitter end in 3 years...

I'm not sure. Guys who struggled with the conventional putter and then later found success with an anchored stroke may lose their tour cards down the road, who knows. What I particularly like about this is the poorer ball strikers on tour who keep their cards because they can make putts may now have an advantage (or at least gained some ground on) the guys out there are who are great ball strikers who use an anchored stroke when putting. That is of course assuming they will not be as good with a conventional putter.

To your second point, I too am interested in seeing when these guys make the change over the next 3 years. If I'm Ernie Els, I'm sticking with it until the bitter end. No question he knows and has experience with a conventional putter. If I'm Webb or Keegan, I would think they would stick with it, while occasionally testing out the conventional putter in a Fall event or an event in which they get a guaranteed appearance fee because, I think, there they have very little to lose by doing so, and only valuable experience to gain while in the heat of competition. For the big events though, like the majors, I would think they would stick with it. Why change now if you don't have to?

PS- I could be wrong, but I think Keegan and Webb have been using an anchored stroke since they were in high school?

Constantine

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Texian

If you feel as strongly about this as I do, I encourage you to express a similar reaction.

I feel as strongly as you do about it, but I sent them a letter expressing the opposite viewpoint because that's how I feel. I sent them a letter expressing that I was in favor of their proposed change.

In short, I believe that it is "for the good of the game."

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

I'm not sure. Guys who struggled with the conventional putter and then later found success with an anchored stroke may lose their tour cards down the road, who knows. What I particularly like about this is the poorer ball strikers on tour who keep their cards because they can make putts may now have an advantage (or at least gained some ground on) the guys out there are who are great ball strikers who use an anchored stroke when putting. That is of course assuming they will not be as good with a conventional putter.

The game of golf is getting the ball in the hole in as few strokes as possible. I don't think this change shifts the balance of the game one way or the other except to require everyone to use what I consider more of a "stroke."

And as we've seen from recent stats and studies, ballstriking actually matters more than putting in terms of making up strokes, so I don't think we're going to see much of a change at all in who keeps their card or wins PGA Tour events.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The "anchoring" rule change does not affect me. I use a 43-inch putter in a manner described as legal under the new rules, with my arm firmly "anchored" to my body through my shoulder connection, forearm not touching the body.

However, this (rule change) is unnecessary, and not, as your copyrighted slogan says, "For the Good of the Game."

You can count on NOT receiving my renewed membership in your organization.

And I'm sure that the USGA is going to close up shop because of this. Regardless of what you think, it is for the good of the game.  And for your information, it isn't a change , only a refining of the definition of what constitutes a stroke.    It's simply blocking a divergence from what has always been a stroke before it gets out of hand.  There is even precedent to support it, as they have also disallowed using a club as a pool cue or a croquet mallet.  You are overreacting to a rather minor modification.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

And I'm sure that the USGA is going to close up shop because of this.

If enough of the USGA membership is against this, and comments I've seen indicate many golfers feel that golf governing bodies have more important issues that they should be addressing, then the USGA will listen. If enough don't renew memberships, they will in fact "close up shop."

If enough of the USGA membership is against this, and comments I've seen indicate many golfers feel that golf governing bodies have more important issues that they should be addressing, then the USGA will listen. If enough don't renew memberships, they will in fact "close up shop."

Don't hold your breath.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator

If enough don't renew memberships, they will in fact "close up shop."

No they won't. Memberships account for a small fraction of their operating budget. They make a lot of money from, for example, the U.S. Open. Fees clubs pay for things. Fees equipment manufacturers pay. Etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[QUOTE name="Fourputt" url="/t/62766/anchored-putters-rules-change-was-decision-coming-soon/198#post_787994"] And I'm sure that the USGA is going to close up shop because of this.  :roll:   [/QUOTE] If enough of the USGA membership is against this, and comments I've seen indicate many golfers feel that golf governing bodies have more important issues that they should be addressing, then the USGA will listen. If enough don't renew memberships, they will in fact "close up shop."

Dream on. You probably have 1% that are actually upset about this, another 5% that will reluctantly accept the decision and forget they used a putter like this in the first place and the rest of the golfing community, some who use old ratty clubs to play twice a year that do not even know what we are talking about and a majority serious golfers who would not consider putting a broomstick or belly putter in the bag. As others have stated, they have only come across a handful of players using them. It will be dust in the wind.

Like I said, the new rule will not affect me. It will affect my support for an organization that makes useless modifications to rules that need none in this area. The game on the professional, and more importantly, amateur level, was doing just fine without this.

Originally Posted by iacas

No they won't. Memberships account for a small fraction of their operating budget. They make a lot of money from, for example, the U.S. Open. Fees clubs pay for things. Fees equipment manufacturers pay. Etc.

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

Dream on. You probably have 1% that are actually upset about this, another 5% that will reluctantly accept the decision and forget they used a putter like this in the first place and the rest of the golfing community, some who use old ratty clubs to play twice a year that do not even know what we are talking about and a majority serious golfers who would not consider putting a broomstick or belly putter in the bag.

As others have stated, they have only come across a handful of players using them. It will be dust in the wind.

Annual dues/donations accounted for $16.3 million in revenue last year of their $137+ million total revenue (a little under 12%).

(http://www.usga-digital.com/usga/20120125?sub_id=JggDrvBjPGjv#pg19)

While this may be more than a "small fraction" of their budget, the few members who will actually drop their memberships because of this ruling will certainly be a small fraction as evidenced by the opinions on this forum.

Valleygolfer, you nailed it, too.  Dust in the wind, just like square grooves.

• Upvote 1

The only thing that looks bad is that anchor rule was always there , but they have let it go on for almost 30 years , and NOW decide to make a decision ? They should of stopped it long before now IMO  , would of been alot less controversy !

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!