IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by szaino

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleback

But yes, you are right, the root of this rule change is an international conspiracy to make sure Tiger breaks Jack's major record.  I wonder what they will do to make sure Tiger breaks Sam Snead's total wins record?

You can't be serious thinking that the anchoring rule is about helping Tiger beat Jack's record ?

Adjust your sarcasm meter, it's off. :-)  Turtleback doesn't think that, but the poster he was responding to does. Take it up with him:

Quote:

Originally Posted by thanw

The usga is rapidly losing touch with average golfers, course owners, and equipment manufacturers. Officious bullies imo. I don't really care what they say. I will buy whatever putter, wedge, driver I want and swing it however I want. Just ban whatever type equipment Tiger doesn't play and mess with everyone who isn't Tiger already so he can beat Jack's record. That's what they want.

...But yes, you are right, the root of this rule change is an international conspiracy to make sure Tiger breaks Jack's major record.  I wonder what they will do to make sure Tiger breaks Sam Snead's total wins record?

Bill

Originally Posted by szaino

Quote:

No.  They aren't.  Just as with the groove rule, 6 months after this rule is implemented no one will give it a second thought.

But yes, you are right, the root of this rule change is an international conspiracy to make sure Tiger breaks Jack's major record.  I wonder what they will do to make sure Tiger breaks Sam Snead's total wins record?

BTW, David Fay just came out and said that edits to the proposed rule change on anchoring are unlikely.

Oh no, the humanity!!

You can't be serious thinking that the anchoring rule is about helping Tiger beat Jack's record ?

His comment was sarcasm.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This thing banned yet?

Seriously though, when are we expecting further action or decisions being announced?  I feel like this whole thing is in a state of limbo.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• Administrator
Originally Posted by bplewis24

This thing banned yet?

Seriously though, when are we expecting further action or decisions being announced?  I feel like this whole thing is in a state of limbo.

Spring ends June 20, right?

So… before then they've committed to telling us the final decision.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I bet they wait until the U S open is over. I would think they would want all the focus on the tournament. I really wouldn't be suprised if they waited until after the PGA.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by caniac6

I bet they wait until the U S open is over. I would think they would want all the focus on the tournament. I really wouldn't be suprised if they waited until after the PGA.

The PGA is not in the spring.

The U.S. Open ends June 16, with a possible playoff on June 17, which leaves only a few days before June 20.

I would imagine we hear about it in the press conference on Tuesday or Wednesday before the U.S. Open. To do it after would distract from the winner.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

The PGA is not in the spring.

The U.S. Open ends June 16, with a possible playoff on June 17, which leaves only a few days before June 20.

I would imagine we hear about it in the press conference on Tuesday or Wednesday before the U.S. Open. To do it after would distract from the winner.

I just read that there will be a Press Conference Tuesday, 5/21 at 8:00 AM Eastern time at which the decision will be revealed.  TGC is expected to carry it live.  Makes sense as they will want any hubbub to have died down by the time the US Open starts.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator

I just read that there will be a Press Conference Tuesday, 5/21 at 8:00 AM Eastern time at which the decision will be revealed.  TGC is expected to carry it live.  Makes sense as they will want any hubbub to have died down by the time the US Open starts.

Even better. I could see why the USGA might announce it during the U.S. Open, but there are at least two better reasons to get it done with sooner - the R&A; is part of the decision, and it would color the conversation the ENTIRE week unless some unusually freakish good golf was played (i.e. Tiger vs. Rory vs. Phil all week, battling it out).

I guess we'll get the answer on Tuesday folks. I'm looking forward to see how it all shakes out.

Quote:
The USGA will announce its final decision on whether to ban anchored putting -- in other words, belly putter and long putters that are "anchored" against the body -- at a news conference Tuesday at USGA headquarters in Far Hills, N.J. The 8 a.m. press conference will be broadcast live on Golf Channel. The USGA will also provide a live webcast of the press conference here .

Read more: http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2013/05/usga-to-announce-anchored-putter-decision-on-tuesday.html#ixzz2Tko41RMt

The final wording of the rule that will come into force in 2016 is as follows: 14-1b Anchoring the Club In making a stroke, the player must not anchor the club, either “directly” or by use of an “anchor point.” Note 1: The club is anchored “directly” when the player intentionally holds the club or a gripping hand in contact with any part of his body, except that the player may hold the club or a gripping hand against a hand or forearm. Note 2: An “anchor point” exists when the player intentionally holds a forearm in contact with any part of his body to establish a gripping hand as a stable point around which the other hand may swing the club.

Yay... the USGA and R&A; makes a decision!!

Got the email about 30 minutes ago from the USGA, I hope I dont get in trouble for cutting and pasting:

May 21, 2013

Dear USGA Member:

The USGA cherishes its strong relationship with our Members, and we appreciate the support you provide in helping us lead the game toward a sustainable future. Your membership bolsters the critical mission of the USGA in many important ways and has helped to make the game more enjoyable for golfers of all ages and skill levels.

Recognizing the role that you play in all we do to protect and nurture the game, we want you to be among the first to know about an important announcement.

Last November, after an extensive review, the USGA and The R&A; proposed Rule 14-1b, a new entry to the Rules of Golf that prohibits anchoring the club in making a stroke. This morning, together with The R&A;, we are announcing the adoption of Rule 14-1b for players at all levels of the game, effective January 1, 2016 .

Final approval of Rule 14-1b follows a comprehensive and unprecedented process for playing Rules in which comments and suggestions from across the golf community were collected and considered. In our best judgment and having considered all of the input that we received, both before and after the proposed Rule was announced, we concluded that Rule 14-1b was necessary to protect the essential nature of the traditional method of stroke and eliminate potential advantages that anchoring the club provides.

Throughout the game's 600-year history, the essence of the traditional method of golf stroke has involved swinging the club with both the club and gripping hands held away from the body, requiring the player to direct and control the movement of the entire club. Anchoring one end of the club against the body, and creating a point of physical attachment around which the club is swung, is a substantial departure from the traditional swing. Our judgment, based on tradition, observation and experience, is that anchoring creates an unacceptable risk of changing and reducing the challenge of making a golf stroke.

The new Rule does not alter current equipment standards and allows for the use of all conforming golf clubs, including mid-length and long putters, provided such clubs are used in a non-anchored manner. The Rule narrowly targets only a few types of strokes in which the club is anchored, while preserving a golfer's ability to play with a variety of permissible gripping styles, putter types and swing methods.

The effective date of January 1, 2016 , at the start of the next four-year cycle for revisions to the Rules of Golf, provides an extended period in which golfers currently using an anchored stroke may adapt their method of stroke, if necessary, to conform to the requirements of the new Rule.

We know that not everyone will agree with our final decision. However, we hope the new Rule will bring to a close the longstanding, controversial debate about anchored putting and its place in the game. Of equal importance, we hope that those who have expressed concerns know that they have been heard; can understand our reasons for concluding that Rule 14-1b is in the best interests of the game; and will now join with us in assisting any golfers who need help moving to a non-anchored stroke.

Recognizing that you may have questions, and that you may also want to share this information with fellow golfers, we have developed videos, images, graphics and other materials that are available at www.usga.org/anchoring

to help you become more familiar with the specifics of Rule 14-b. We have also provided a comprehensive document that explains the basis for our final decision and addresses the primary questions and concerns voiced by those who expressed opposition to the new Rule.

Thank you for your support and passion for the game as we continue to serve all golfers around the world and work to secure the health and traditions of the game for current players and for future generations.

Sincerely,

Glen Nager
President

Mike Davis
USGA Executive Director

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

Finally an answer! Close this thread and seal it it for posterity.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

FYI to everyone:

May 21, 2013

Dear USGA Member:

The USGA cherishes its strong relationship with our Members, and we appreciate the support you provide in helping us lead the game toward a sustainable future. Your membership bolsters the critical mission of the USGA in many important ways and has helped to make the game more enjoyable for golfers of all ages and skill levels.

Recognizing the role that you play in all we do to protect and nurture the game, we want you to be among the first to know about an important announcement.

Last November, after an extensive review, the USGA and The R&A; proposed Rule 14-1b, a new entry to the Rules of Golf that prohibits anchoring the club in making a stroke. This morning, together with The R&A;, we are announcing the adoption of Rule 14-1b for players at all levels of the game, effective January 1, 2016 .

Final approval of Rule 14-1b follows a comprehensive and unprecedented process for playing Rules in which comments and suggestions from across the golf community were collected and considered. In our best judgment and having considered all of the input that we received, both before and after the proposed Rule was announced, we concluded that Rule 14-1b was necessary to protect the essential nature of the traditional method of stroke and eliminate potential advantages that anchoring the club provides.

Throughout the game's 600-year history, the essence of the traditional method of golf stroke has involved swinging the club with both the club and gripping hands held away from the body, requiring the player to direct and control the movement of the entire club. Anchoring one end of the club against the body, and creating a point of physical attachment around which the club is swung, is a substantial departure from the traditional swing. Our judgment, based on tradition, observation and experience, is that anchoring creates an unacceptable risk of changing and reducing the challenge of making a golf stroke.

The new Rule does not alter current equipment standards and allows for the use of all conforming golf clubs, including mid-length and long putters, provided such clubs are used in a non-anchored manner. The Rule narrowly targets only a few types of strokes in which the club is anchored, while preserving a golfer's ability to play with a variety of permissible gripping styles, putter types and swing methods.

The effective date of January 1, 2016 , at the start of the next four-year cycle for revisions to the Rules of Golf, provides an extended period in which golfers currently using an anchored stroke may adapt their method of stroke, if necessary, to conform to the requirements of the new Rule.

We know that not everyone will agree with our final decision. However, we hope the new Rule will bring to a close the longstanding, controversial debate about anchored putting and its place in the game. Of equal importance, we hope that those who have expressed concerns know that they have been heard; can understand our reasons for concluding that Rule 14-1b is in the best interests of the game; and will now join with us in assisting any golfers who need help moving to a non-anchored stroke.

Recognizing that you may have questions, and that you may also want to share this information with fellow golfers, we have developed videos, images, graphics and other materials that are available at www.usga.org/anchoring

to help you become more familiar with the specifics of Rule 14-b. We have also provided a comprehensive document that explains the basis for our final decision and addresses the primary questions and concerns voiced by those who expressed opposition to the new Rule.

Thank you for your support and passion for the game as we continue to serve all golfers around the world and work to secure the health and traditions of the game for current players and for future generations.

Sincerely,

Glen Nager
President

Mike Davis
USGA Executive Director

For the good of the game ®

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

Good decision, I thought they might cave to the pressure but they didn't.  I think the average guy is still going to use his belly putter and foot wedge as he deems fit.  The real impact is on pro's and those of us that play in club tournaments that conform to USGA rules which is a small minority of people that play golf.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!