IGNORED

How do I get more swing speed?

Satch
Note: This thread is 3565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Here you go... This is Vijay Singh working with his fitness instructor (he has worked with Joey too).  And they say golfers aren't athletes. LOL

Is this before or after deer antler spray?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hhahahah Vijay said he used the spray for 20yrs didn't he?  Maybe I misread that somewhere??

Anyway... One other thing going back to your comments about getting proper instruction - and not worrying about working out.

Here is the thing... And this is going back to Torrey Pines and watching the Pros a few weeks ago... It just reinforced this in my brain how important balance is in the golf swing.  Key #1 - Steady head.  But in order to hit the golf ball and have a steady head - much of it has to do with swinging a club with a mass at the end of it - and being in balance. Watching the pros - they were swinging the club on average 112mph with their driver - but yet they were in perfect balance.

Now, when I try and swing the club hard - I can swing around 105 to 108mph... And my rear foot and trail leg flys out of the shot and I'm way off balance.  The problem is that my legs and ass aren't strong enough yet to stay in balance.  That is one of the flaws with my swing - and a reason I believe I have early extension issues is that I'm not strong enough to keep my ass on the wall... So I stand up.

Bottom line, I think all of us regulars that use this site - we are all seeking out better instruction.  But we should also be coupling a workout regimen with our practice routine so that we are getting stronger and getting healthier to play better golf.

And getting stronger - coupled with proper instruction will definitely give you the tools to swing the club faster.

This thread got me thinking earlier... And then watching the video series I linked... I grabbed a few items from my garage tonight...

(1.) An old R11 46" gripped driver shaft from my garage (no club head)............... Total Weight 118g

(2.) An old 2i (DCI 762 with S300 shaft)................................................ Total Weight 415g

With the R11 shaft - I do single arm swings - both left and right handed.  Then both arms combined - like a regular golf swing.  I do this repeatedly for 10+ swings each.

Then switch over to the 2i - and just take regular swings with the weighted club.... Take 10+ swings.

Take a break.... Then repeat.

I did this for only 20 minutes and I'm whipped... It takes a lot out of you.  I like it though - it feels like I have more control of the club and I'm in balance - even though I'm swinging fast (not necessarily hard).  The key is to not throw away the power and have the proper tempo.

Basically what I'm saying is... I like the video series linked and just doing those type of rotations of a shaft only swing - mixed in with a weighted club... I think I could easily get my swing speed jumped up if I do this regularly over the next several weeks.  Hmmm... I'm going to have to get on Trackman at the end of this and see where my numbers are at with the driver (I'm going to demo the G25 so I'll re-post).

Bottom line, I think all of us regulars that use this site - we are all seeking out better instruction.  But we should also be coupling a workout regimen with our practice routine so that we are getting stronger and getting healthier to play better golf.

And getting stronger - coupled with proper instruction will definitely give you the tools to swing the club faster.

Can't argue with this!

P.S.  I got one of those too ...

• Administrator

Erik... On TGM... We'll have to agree to disagree.  I like the book, and have found a lot of useful instruction from it.  And would argue that a lot of the 5SK system has its roots in TGM.

Shawn, that completely misses the point, but I'm not going to belabor that point here as it's off topic.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

I have two copies of TGM (a seventh and a sixth, and a PDF of the third), but couldn't tell you where both of them are at any given moment. I wouldn't call it worthless, but it's close. Yes, the little yellow book inspired a lot of people, but just skip to the end and read the stuff it inspired - don't read the yellow book.

Sorry, I know its OT, but I'd be interested to know what you would recommend reading.  I bought TGM but didn't get much past the instructions on how to read the book.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

• 1 month later...

Mixed in with some cardio to get a good burn

(lift faster)

here's a philosophy that seems to be taking ground - I find it true for me

1 - If you need a separate cardio workout - take shorter breaks between sets, add reps when you feel the burn, lift as long as form is good.  You can get a great cardio workout in conjunction with lifting, not in addition to - more efficient use of workout time.

2 - Agree with the not quoted part of your post - lifting and more muscle on the body is not just about mass and strength.  Lifting correctly will build muscle WHILE aiding supported flexibility, and cardio, and strength, and resistance to injury.  Nutrition is the other leg of health and fitness of course.

back to the topic -

Funny thing about swinging faster....the pros seem to be so relaxed and smooth and their technique gives them good 'head speed'.  When their swings seem rather slow, but they are getting a couple clubs distance more than me - a guy that in better than most shape - then they are doing something fundamentally better than just "faster".

IMHO - Seems that any focused attempt to just 'swing faster' usually just means a lot of non-value added upper body effort that cancels out the turn and legs and weight transfer.

I've been working, lately, due to noticing that my "pressure" isn't moving forward during my swing like I should.

the focus has been:

1 - allowing a more complete backswing

2 - moving the pressure correctly forward through the finish

3 - full finish and turn (this was big for me)

4 - holding the wrist cock longer so it really occurs at the optimal time - timing that 'release' is huge for me and results in straighter and much longer strikes - I now understand how a pro gets so much more....

I'm not worrying about 'faster', I'm now more about 'smoother'.

I'm getting some pretty amazing results.  I can't really take on any more though until these get ingrained.  In fact, I really should just continue with 1-3 and work on 4 later.....

Bill - 

Be careful... I tweaked a tendon in my left forearm a few weeks back.  Feels like golfers elbow after reading around this site and others.  And it is the direct result of swinging that 118g driver shaft with no head on it... Trying to speed train.

The reason Pros generate high club head speeds without trying hard is because of proper kinematic sequencing or rhythm and good positions.  It sounds like you have relaxed more - not forcing club head speed - which allows you to sequence you swing correctly.  To get more info on kinematic sequencing check out the TPI website.  There is alot of good research in their archives.

Is the tweak on the extensor or flexor side of your forearm?  If it is the extensor side it maybe more of a tennis elbow problem.  Too much lift in your back swing with a heavy club.  If it is on the flexor side, possibly too much casting on the down swing with a heavy club.  I've seen them both.  Be sure to stretch the forearm muscles and reduce the resistance to prevent further trouble.

Actually, I'm thinking of getting that speed radar for myself.  I want to do some experimenting with float loading and different types of releases to see how my speed varies.  I think I can unlock another 5 to 10mph just by working on this - especially after watching this dudes Youtube videos....

I did this for a few weeks and saw my peak speed go from 112-119 and avg. speed 110 to 114. All data was recorded from the swing speed radar.

You guys are going to have a good laugh at this, but I'll update as it goes along and we'll see how it turns out.

The director of golf at my club is a good friend, and a heck of a golfer. Played ahead of DA Points at LSU (Hi Justin!), was exempt on the European Tour, last year managed 247 holes in 12 hours for charity and carded 61 birdies and 2 eagles in the process. Anyway, a bad back ended his pro career and means he can't weight train, so he's been looking for other ways to stay in shape. About a week ago I run into him in the clubhouse and the first thing he says to me is: "Hey, you know that bunker on the right on the 13th?" Yes, I do. It's about 275 yards out off the back tees and consequently of absolutely no interest to me unless I top my second shot into it. "I flew that yesterday, into the wind!" I'm like, so are you on the juice now, bro? Turns out that's not it, but he has started going once a week to this new German EMS (electro muscle stimulation) place that's opened up near us -- kind of a 21st Century version of those cellulite-busting electrode belts that everyone's Mom had back in the '70s. Says it's working for him like he can't believe, he's hitting it 20 yards longer just like that and would I like a card for 5 freebie sessions since the owner is also a member of the club and, no offense, maybe I could use a little extra pop.

I start on Thursday.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

That's pretty cool. I never even realized college golf recruiting was that global 15+ years ago.

I hope the EMS works out and you gain 20+yds.

• 1 year later...
Seems reasonable.  But, to me, the average golfer who is worried about their swing speed has bigger fish to fry.  For somebody like you - a very good amateur - and even pros, there usually isn't any power hiding in there somewhere.  The fundamentals are solid, so the only remaining missing piece is muscle.

But the average golfer, I believe, is losing more (much more) swing speed and power due to the head moving around, weight on their back foot, flipping, casting, bad contact, etc.  By the time they got all of that stuff squared away, they probably won't need to worry about the muscle anymore. :)

Wait, why am I arguing against working out so much?  Oh, maybe it's because I'm lazy and fat and don't want to admit that exercise is good for us?

I think this is good..

Increased swing speed is a good MOTIVATOR ...

reward for your effort ... longer shots translate to all your clubs , when you increase swing speed.

Nobody would something boring just for the sake of doing it, and be happy about it.

The top golfers today at PGA tour... All of the best of them are athletes, who choose to simply play golf.

Jack Nicklaus had excellent game, he was basically the Tiger woods of his day. I never got to witness him play in his prime personally, but Nicklaus could bomb that ball , really far.

He lacked nothing in distance, accuracy and short game, basically he was like Tiger's predecessor. Best golfer of all time, with maybe Tiger out there with him somewhere slightly behind.

I think this is good.. Increased swing speed is a good MOTIVATOR ... reward for your effort ... longer shots translate to all your clubs , when you increase swing speed. Nobody would something boring just for the sake of doing it, and be happy about it. The top golfers today at PGA tour... All of the best of them are athletes, who choose to simply play golf. Jack Nicklaus had excellent game, he was basically the Tiger woods of his day. I never got to witness him play in his prime personally, but Nicklaus could bomb that ball , really far. He lacked nothing in distance, accuracy and short game, basically he was like Tiger's predecessor. Best golfer of all time, with maybe Tiger out there with him somewhere slightly behind.

Not sure I agree that increased swing speed is a good motivator as much as increased distance with your current swing speed. If you get everything else correct, you don't need to look like your swinging out of your shoes to get good distance. IIRC, you already can hit the balls out 275 yards, if you can do this efficiently it will allow you to focus on accuracy which is more important than just distance. The previous poster said when you can get the lag naturally, you will increase your swing speed. That's also true, because to do that you need really good swing mechanics.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!