IGNORED

wedge overkill?

wedgeman
Note: This thread is 4048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How many wedges do you consider too many? I currently have a pitching wedge at 44°, A wedge at 48°, a gap wedge at 52°, sw 56°, and then a 60° and 64°. I like being able to have alot of versatility inside 150. I know shorter hitters dont carry many wedges due to needing woods etc. But how many wedges do you carry?

I only carry three. 48* PW, 54* SW, and a 60* LW so I think it is overkill but if that's what your comfortable with then go for it.  My distance gaps work well for me so I choose to carry more long clubs.

I carry 3: 47, 51, and 56. If the count worries you, would you change things if you had a 48 degree PW, a 44 degree 9-iron, and so on? And are you missing anything in the long club department? Just because a 9-iron isn't called a wedge doesn't mean I can't use it as one. For example, I know how far my quarter and half swings with it go, just as I would with a "real" wedge.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

PW 48* 52-08 56-14 60-08

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

This is wedge overkill at it's finest. [quote name="wedgeman" url="/t/65127/wedge-overkill#post_813678"]How many wedges do you consider too many? I currently have a pitching wedge at 44°, A wedge at 48°, a gap wedge at 52°, sw 56°, and then a 60° and 64°. I like being able to have alot of versatility inside 150. I know shorter hitters dont carry many wedges due to needing woods etc. But how many wedges do you carry?[/quote]

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I never understood the wedge-mania thing either. No matter how many wedges you bag, there are still going to be some distances that aren't covered, and you're still going to have to depend on creative wedge play, unless you have a 5 yd wedge, a 10 yd wedge, a 20 yd wedge...

I can use a 56* SW for everything from 2" to 110yd, and a PW for everything from 2" to 125 yd. No gaps. I'd rather use my money on hoeing iron sets rather than umpteen wedges..

dak4n6

Originally Posted by wedgeman

How many wedges do you consider too many? I currently have a pitching wedge at 44°, A wedge at 48°, a gap wedge at 52°, sw 56°, and then a 60° and 64°. I like being able to have alot of versatility inside 150. I know shorter hitters dont carry many wedges due to needing woods etc. But how many wedges do you carry?

Well for starters you can't call the 44 degree a true wedge, as it was a 9 iron yesterday.  It's great for chipping and it does have some versatility but I would exclude it in this discussion.

I play 48-54-60. I have tried 48-52-56-60 but it seemed to give me too many options and never helped my scoring average. I can cover pretty well with my current set-up or by my older set-up of 48-56-60.  Having 3 wedges just simplified things.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Currently a PW, 54, and 58. May get a gap wedge, but not 100% on that now.

Driver - Cobra S3 10.5*

Hybrid/Rescue - Cobra Amp Cell 2-3

Irons - Cobra S3 Max 3H, 4H, 5-PW

Wedges - 54* and 58* Cleveland 588-RTX

Putter - Carbite Polar Balanced Mallet

I remember when sets came with a PW and a SW, custom wedges didn't exist. In the mid 90's I got a set of Petron Boss GB100s that came with an XW, i.e. an early gap wedge.

I now carry my R7 TP PW, a Titleist 52.08 gap wedge and 56.14 sand wedge. I find I can hit most shots with my 52 and can open up the face quite reliably and hit any shot inside about 110 yards. My 56 has lots of bounce and is primarily used as a sand wedge, I rarely use it from the fairway or round the green. Given a 70-80 yard shot I'd rather hit an easy 52 than a hard 56, I find I can control the distance better.

For me I use:

Titleist 775 cb PW 48

Titleist 775 cb GW 52

Mizuno T 10 56/10

Mizuno T10 60/5

I feel that these 4 clubs give me the best yardage and give me more options for woods and hybrid

Driver:  905R 9.5* Project X 6.0

3 Wood:  910FD 15* Project X 8C4

Hybrid:  Vr Pro 21* 3H Project X HD2

Irons:  775 CB 4-G Project X Pxi 6.0

Wedges:  MP T-10 56/8, 60/5

Putter:  Anser 2

Ball:  Gamer V2 or  NXT

I don't have a need for anything over 56 so 46, 50, 56 for me.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

We sometimes do a case on the golf industry for my strategy classes, and one of my grad students said he carries 5 wedges. He's 6-foot-6, has fairly long arms, and played small-college golf and basketball.

He hits his PW 150 yds., so he needs his five-pack so he can get some yardage separation up close. He carries P, G, S, L and L+.

I asked a mini-tour pro who plays out of my golf club about wedges among his competitors. He says the medium-length hitters tend to have 3 wedges so they can get an extra club into the 210 yd. range, while longer hitters tend to go with 4 wedges.

I played 3 wedges for a long time, went to 4 for about a year, then went back to 3 last summer.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

i think you loft gaps are fine. stick with that setups. gives u more club options up top

Driver:  905R 9.5* Project X 6.0

3 Wood:  910FD 15* Project X 8C4

Hybrid:  Vr Pro 21* 3H Project X HD2

Irons:  775 CB 4-G Project X Pxi 6.0

Wedges:  MP T-10 56/8, 60/5

Putter:  Anser 2

Ball:  Gamer V2 or  NXT

Major wedge overkill in my opinion.  But my main question is what kind of course you play?  I vary my set by what type of course I'm playing.  I carry a driver (280), 3-wood (245), 23* hybrid (205), 4-PW, 51* GW, 56* SW and a putter.  I'll add in a 60* lob wedge or a 19* hybrid (225) depending on the course.  I don't have to have the 60 all the time because I only use it when I absolutely have to.

My personal opinion is that nobody who's an amateur golfer has any business with a 64*, and you're much better off learning to play one wedge and vary your swing and the club to achieve different shot shapes and distances.  For me, that's the 56* wedge.  98% of shots from inside 90 yards are either the 56* wedge or a putter for me.  I'm more likely to use my hybrid for a bump & run off the green than I am to use my 60* wedge.

What's in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag:

Driver - Taylormade Superfast 2.0 TP 10.5
3 Wood - Taylormade Burner 15* REAX
Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro 18* GD YSQ-HL

Irons - Callaway X-18 4-PW

GW - Cleveland 588 51*

SW - Cleveland CG 12 56*

LW - Cleveland CG15 60*

Putter - Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Bushnell Medalist rangefinder

Well the way my course is i don't have a need for woods or hybrids. I prefer to use long irons anyway. Which leaves room for wedges, and i don't use the 64 much it's in there for the rare 1 every 3 rounds shot.

Note: This thread is 4048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!