IGNORED

2013 WGC-Cadillac Championship at Doral Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 4069 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Ah crap. I need some HELP!

Just got informed by the little lady that I'm going to the in laws for dinner tomorrow. These in laws, heathens really, don't have the golf channel (I know, I know) so I need to know when NBC coverage takes over so I can try to plan ( manipulate) things so I can catch the finish of this.

I'm thinking of faking an illness, maybe start power slamming' scotch right now so I can plead hangover tomorrow.

having a wife that dont understand golf is a call for divorce.

Robert Something

Originally Posted by Chas

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbishop15

Listening to Miller about Tiger only hitting cuts is infuriating. For one, he's a professional golfer: he knows how to hit a draw. Two, he's Tiger freaking Woods! I think he knows what he's doing.

I missed that bit - what did Miller say exactly?  Later in the day, on TGC, someone (Chambliss?) said that T. was basically only hitting cuts (no draws) and that this is a big part of his current high level of confidence.   He has almost completely eliminated the miss to the left (is this true?) and so can deal with certain dangerous situations better than anyone.  He certainly wasn't implying that Tiger is incapable of hitting a draw, not to me anyway.  Was Miller implying this in your view?

It is clear that Tiger now expects to make putts in the 15-25 ft range, I mean genuinely so.  He is disappointed when he misses (usually not by much) in a way that indicates his confidence.  I haven't seen this in him since the glory days.

Had Miller been in the booth during Jack's playing days he could have made the same statement.  Yes, Jack could hit a draw, but not with the same control that he played a fade, and he just didn't like to play a draw unless he had to.

Tiger is doing the same thing, playing the fade because it's more natural for him, and more importantly, it's working.  Of course he can hit a draw, but not with the same kind of consistency as that fade, so he's going to go with what works unless he actually needs to play a draw.  Most good players do the same thing - they go with their stock shot unless something else is actually required.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This smells like a Tiger rout. Birdeing 18 after the bad break on 17 with the ball in the tree shows me he's singularly focused on getting the job done. I think he wins by at least 6 shots.

There's still the off chance that Woods' putter goes cold and hits a couple of loose shots at the wrong time. Not likely, but possible.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

There's still the off chance that Woods' putter goes cold and hits a couple of loose shots at the wrong time. Not likely, but possible.

That would make things interesting but Tiger is looking like the old Cyborg Terminator version of Tiger right now so I'd say its doubtful. Still pulling for GMAC but I always pull for Europe. Still, as a golf fan can't complain about a Tiger blowout.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Had Miller been in the booth during Jack's playing days he could have made the same statement.  Yes, Jack could hit a draw, but not with the same control that he played a fade, and he just didn't like to play a draw unless he had to.

Tiger is doing the same thing, playing the fade because it's more natural for him, and more importantly, it's working.  Of course he can hit a draw, but not with the same kind of consistency as that fade, so he's going to go with what works unless he actually needs to play a draw.  Most good players do the same thing - they go with their stock shot unless something else is actually required.

Tiger goes after the ball with everything off a driver, so my guess is the only shape that can control his errors off the driver is a cut.

He picked up a Covert 5 wood to replace the yellow SQ - I've seen him hit draws with the 5 wood. Haven't seen him enough to comment on irons, but I would think he would go both ways. The driver and 3 wood - probably a cut unless the shot must call for a draw.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I missed that bit - what did Miller say exactly?  Later in the day, on TGC, someone (Chambliss?) said that T. was basically only hitting cuts (no draws) and that this is a big part of his current high level of confidence.   He has almost completely eliminated the miss to the left (is this true?) and so can deal with certain dangerous situations better than anyone.  He certainly wasn't implying that Tiger is incapable of hitting a draw, not to me anyway.  Was Miller implying this in your view?

He wasn't just implying it, he was pretty explicit about how he is going to need to hit a draw to win the Masters and was unsure if Tiger would be able to.  Just before he hit the draw at 18 to set up the birdie putt, Miller was asking if he could still hit a draw or not, and then after he hit the draw, he remarked that he was glad he was still able to do it.

To me it seems really silly because I've seen Tiger hit draws at least a handful of times per round over the past 12 months or so.  But Johnny and others sometimes act like he hasn't hit a draw in 2 years or something.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Didn't there used to be a chat room somewhere on TST, I could have sworn I've chatted during tournaments on here? Maybe it was a dream?

Maybe I need a life...LOL.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I have TGC on in the other room and I think I heard Chamblee just say that it could be argued that GMAC's 69 was better than Tiger's 67????

And......7 is more than 11. C'mon, we know you hate Tiger but seriously????

Chamblee is an idiot. Or an ID-10-T as we used to call 'em.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Rory, sorry, Schlory is looking pretty solid. Obviously he is way outta this tournament but it looks like has turned the corner.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

He wasn't just implying it, he was pretty explicit about how he is going to need to hit a draw to win the Masters and was unsure if Tiger would be able to.  Just before he hit the draw at 18 to set up the birdie putt, Miller was asking if he could still hit a draw or not, and then after he hit the draw, he remarked that he was glad he was still able to do it. To me it seems really silly because I've seen Tiger hit draws at least a handful of times per round over the past 12 months or so.  But Johnny and others sometimes act like he hasn't hit a draw in 2 years or something.

Perhaps he only meant that T can't hit a draw as consistently and so trying to do it would introduce unnecessary risk. I don't know but it makes sense. Someone should ask Tiger why he isn't hitting more draws. "Err Tiger Sir, err, we on TST forum have been wondering why you've, err, been hitting so few draws. Is it perhaps, err, because you fear the snap hook or something .... Sir?"

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Another solid round for McIlroy, he sure doesn't look like the number 1 player. But at least he doesn't look like the number 400 either.

They just showed Woods on the range. I don't know if it's a bad sign, that he looked a bit frustrated and rehearsing swings. I guess we can tell after the first tee shot.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I have TGC on in the other room and I think  I heard Chamblee just say that it could be argued that GMAC's 69 was better than Tiger's 67????

And......7 is more than 11. C'mon, we know you hate Tiger but seriously????

Chamblee is an idiot. Or an ID-10-T as we used to call 'em.

I thought Tiger's round was pretty impressive when you consider he didn't drive it well.

Perhaps he only meant that T can't hit a draw as consistently and so trying to do it would introduce unnecessary risk. I don't know but it makes sense.

Maybe.  But that doesn't explain why he was acting surprised and relieved on 18 when Tiger hit 1 stinking draw with a 9 iron.  He acted like the mystery had been solved.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Tiger and Grame both made birdie putts on 2 during the transition from GC to NBC. Have they showed them or did it just miss it?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Sergio is well on his way to a typical Sergio Sunday. Just close enough to the lead where he can make it interesting if he puts up a low number, but far enough away so that there's no pressure. Aaaaaaand just as Tiger takes a 5-shot league, he sprays one into the trees.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 4069 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!