IGNORED

Who Is Your All-time Favorite Golfer?

dfreuter415
Note: This thread is 2854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The golfer I currently root for to win the most is Phil Mickelson.  He is also the pro golfer I would most want to golf with.  He's not a cold robot like Tiger.  Tiger is unquestionably better, but he is way down on the list of pros I would want to spend time with.

Driver: Nike Covert Driver

Irons: Mizuno JPX-825 Pro 5-GW 

Cleveland Mashie 1, 2, 3, & 4 hybrids

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 Black Nickel 54* & 58*

Putter: Wack-e with super stroke grip

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

Originally Posted by Norm3333

The golfer I currently root for to win the most is Phil Mickelson.  He is also the pro golfer I would most want to golf with.  He's not a cold robot like Tiger.  Tiger is unquestionably better, but he is way down on the list of pros I would want to spend time with.

Phil is a robot more than Tiger. Mr Excuses is his name.

Steve Stricker for me.

Steve just seems like a cool laid back guy.

• Upvote 1

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I honestly can't think of anyone on the tour who'd be MORE fun to hang with than Tiger...I mean, c'mon...the dude clearly knows how to have a good time.  Especially compared to guys like Johnson, Simpson, etc. who, while seem to be extremely good guys, are much more likely to be found in a bible study session than a bar.

Tiger or Adam Scott.

Arnie is definitely up there at the top of any such list.

However I also have great regard for Tom Watson.

To have had such an accomplished career and to be still competitive at his age is an inspiration to all old duffers like meself.

I also respect the fact that he, unlike so many Tour pros, had the courage to confront the racism of the golfing world when he resigned  his membership from the Kansas City Country Club because of their exclusionary policies toward admitting Jews as members.

Tom Watson is a class act.

• Upvote 1

Tough one, but it has to be Jack Nicklaus. We're both from The Ohio State University, and he's the best of all time with the most major championships. There are a ton of other players I also enjoy watching, mainly Tiger Woods I guess and even Sergio Garcia when he's ball striking and behaving. I've always liked Freddie Couples smooth swing.

Phil is a robot more than Tiger. Mr Excuses is his Steve Stricker for me. Steve just seems like a cool laid back guy.

Mr. Excuses? What are you talking about? All he does is smile, sign more autographs than Tiger & Stricker combined, & acknowledge the crowd during a round. If you don't like that, fine. But don't make up crap to justify whom you like.

• Administrator
Mr. Excuses? What are you talking about? All he does is smile, sign more autographs than Tiger & Stricker combined, & acknowledge the crowd during a round. If you don't like that, fine. But don't make up crap to justify whom you like.

There have been PLENTY of times when Phil has skipped out on post-round press conferences after bad rounds, etc. Tiger almost never has. Phil is a good sport when he wants to be.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

There have been PLENTY of times when Phil has skipped out on post-round press conferences after bad rounds, etc. Tiger almost never has. Phil is a good sport when he wants to be.

You're right.  Tiger Woods is a better person than Phil.  Don't know what i was thinking.  I now want my children to grow up EXACTLY like Tiger.  Why would I want them to be like Phil?

So peace all you Tiger-worshippers, I now am on your side.  Tiger is perfect.  Phil is a piece of crap.  So please save your whining.

You're right.  Tiger Woods is a better person than Phil.  Don't know what i was thinking.  I now want my children to grow up EXACTLY like Tiger.  Why would I want them to be like Phil?

So peace all you Tiger-worshippers, I now am on your side.  Tiger is perfect.  Phil is a piece of crap.  So please save your whining.

........no one said anything like that......did they??

Driver: Mizuno MP-630 10.5* S-Flex

Irons: 4-6 Mizuno JPX 800 S-Flex, 7-P Mizuno MP-58 S-Flex

Wedge: Mizuno MP-10 56*

Putter: Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2

Ball: Gamer V2, Q-Star, e-6

Typical mindless Phil lover.  There isn't a phonier professional athlete, let alone tour pro in the entire country.  It's shocking people can't see right through his utterly manufactured "gee golly" bullshit persona.

Most importantly who would you rather drink with Phil or Tiger? Pretty f'ing obvious if you as me.

• Upvote 2

Originally Posted by SoundandFury

It's shocking people can't see right through his utterly manufactured "gee golly" bullshit persona.

It is shocking.  However, I've resigned myself to assuming they simply don't want to see through it.  They want to believe he is the antithesis to Tiger and every other athlete they hate, so there is a halo-effect in play for him.

Same thing happens in other sports.  Two athletes can behave the same way under similar circumstances and one of the athletes will be labeled a selfish, spoiled athlete and the other a passionate leader.

• Upvote 2

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by iacas

So does that make Phil more phony because he doesn't do his due diligence to the press?

Or does it make him less phony because his rounds affect him so much he skips a press conference because he's upset?

I bet some people will choose option 1.

I bet some will choose option 2.........

(Just to be clear, I'm finding my impression (albeit from interviews and on course behavior only) of most pro golfers is pretty positive, i see them as pretty much regular guys put into a big spotlight - that includes both these guys to some extent - they certainly aren't anything like many big time pro basketball and football stars for sure - even with the mindless and weird golf fans that follow them around)

Still no Chi Chi fans yet?

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by rehmwa

So does that make Phil more phony because he doesn't do his due diligence to the press?

Or does it make him less phony because his rounds affect him so much he skips a press conference because he's upset?

I bet some people will choose option 1.

I bet some will choose option 2.........

(Just to be clear, I'm finding my impression (albeit from interviews and on course behavior only) of most pro golfers is pretty positive, i see them as pretty much regular guys put into a big spotlight - that includes both these guys to some extent - they certainly aren't anything like many big time pro basketball and football stars for sure - even with the mindless and weird golf fans that follow them around)

Still no Chi Chi fans yet?

I haven't posted my favorite, but I was saying last week (to myself ,after coming across this thread) that if I had to pick a golfer, it would be Chi Chi.  I didn't even watch much golf as a kid, but when I did see it on TV, the only time I would watch was if Chi Chi was playing.

Then at some point when I was a few years older, I went to the only pro tournament I've ever been to.  He made a birdie on 18, did his signature move, and then threw me the golf ball.  That cemented it.

Regarding your rhetorical question: people will likely choose the option that reinforces their opinion of him.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by SoundandFury

Typical mindless Phil lover.  There isn't a phonier professional athlete, let alone tour pro in the entire country.  It's shocking people can't see right through his utterly manufactured "gee golly" bullshit persona.

Most importantly who would you rather drink with Phil or Tiger? Pretty f'ing obvious if you as me.

I agree 100%.  I would much rather have a beer with Tiger.  Phil reminds me of David Sims from Tin Cup (Relax...I'm not saying he hates old people and dogs).  Phil just seems a little fake....maybe he is just a nerd, I don't know.  But I like Tiger as a player and I like his persona.  He has obviously done some bad things in his personal life but I really couldn't give to sh**'s about that.  I like him for his game and on TV he seems like someone I would like to have a beer with, and of course play golf with.

Found an old article about Good Ole FIGJAM

GQ polled professional athletes to find the least popular among their peers. Here's what they said about Phil, who of course "won" least popular golfer.

Quote:

8. Phil Mickelson

Last August at the PGA Championship at Baltusrol, in New Jersey, a reporter turned to a golfer on the tour and said of Phil Mickelson, “Man, the fans here love Phil.” The golfer replied, “They don’t know him the way we do.” It blew our minds a little when we heard this, since Mickelson ranks among the most admired golfers in America. But today the same reporter makes his case bluntly: “Phil Mickelson literally has no friends out there. He annoys everybody.”

Mickelson has earned many nicknames on the Tour, but our favorite is FIGJAM (F__K, I’m good—just ask me). “There are a bunch of pros who think he and his whole smiley, happy face are a fraud,” another reporter says. “They think he’s preening and insincere.” Mickelson has aggressively pursued a family-man image that is crucial to his success as an endorser. In 1999, when he nearly won the U.S. Open, Mickelson wore a beeper onto the fairway to alert him when his wife went into labor. If the beeper went off during the final round, he announced, he would simply walk off the course. Some of Mickelson’s peers, smelling a PR stunt, badly wanted to call his bluff. “Everybody’s saying, ‘Oh God, I want that beeper to go off,’ ” recalls one writer. (It didn’t.)

In 2003, Mickelson violated multiple taboos when he told a reporter that Tiger Woods was playing with “inferior equipment” and that he envied Mickelson’s longer drives from the tee. Woods was infuriated. “You just don’t say shit like that in golf,” says a reporter. (To be fair, another reporter says, “Phil was right.”)

Shortly before the 2004 Ryder Cup, though, Mickelson abruptly switched from Titleist to Callaway equipment. He left himself little time to get used to the new balls and clubs. “It wasn’t in the best interest of the team,” says a reporter. “The only thing that it was in the best interest of was his financial gain.” The contract paid a reported $7 million to $10 million annually. “What it did was set up a bull’s-eye on him if he played poorly,” says a different reporter. “Which he did.”

Most recently, Mickelson blew off the 2005 Tour Championship, though the PGA was in the midst of negotiating its new TV contract. One reporter says, “The Tour was trying to come up with a plan that would make the networks happy, so it wouldn’t have to give back a lot of money, and here’s the number three player in the world skipping the premier season-ending event. Other players said, ‘How about helping the rest of us who aren’t as rich?’ ” Adds another reporter: “It’s like not showing up for somebody’s wedding.”

There's also the whole "Phil's Bridge" rumor

• Upvote 1

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

That's the Phancy Phil I see whenever I look at him.  I'm absolutely not surprised.

What's the "Phil's Bridge" rumor?

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Note: This thread is 2854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!