IGNORED

What bounce is your sand wedge?

keller19xc
Note: This thread is 4056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

54-10.  I like it because its a nice balance between a gap wedge and traditional sand wedge and with having a 49* gap wedge and 45* PW, a 56* really wouldnt fit in with the set.

I use it for a variety of shots: pitching, chipping, full shots.  Its good off of the fairway.  Thats one of the nice things about the Mizuno JPX wedges, they have a moderate amount of bounce and a cavityback design, so they are forgiving, easy to hit wedges.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I picked up a 54.12 nike sv tour for $20 and I am excited to use it, my only worry is fairway shots. I am more of a digger so I don't believe this will be a problem, but I was also looking at the taylormade because of the various bounce angles. Any problems with hitting thin from the fairway?

I think you're on the wrong track here. I've been wanting to try different bounces on my wedges, but I need to use them a bit to see. Your swing will have some influence on this not to mention on how much you like to open and close the face as you use the club. Also, if you play public courses that tend to be hard and dry and bouncy in the summer you may want less bounce as to fluffy moist ground.

Somebody tell me if I'm wrong here: It seems to be conditions would influence bounce. Wouldn't wet densely packed sand trap want less bounce than a fluffy one. What about winter fairways that are mushy, maybe less bounce and nip the ball because the extra bounce gives too much contact with the ground.

I'm curious if the pro's change wedge sets in different conditions or maybe they just adjust how much they open and close the face. Phil is a great wedge player wouldn't you love to pick his brain.

I play 2 courses regularly 1. Wet fairways, thick sand 2.hard fairways, fluffy sand So really what I'm asking is how much does bounce effect your shots on a wet course compared to a dry hard course. Speaking in terms of fairways.

Originally Posted by keller19xc

Please include the degree, and the bounce.

What shots do you mainly use with it

Chips?

Sand?

Pitch?

Full shots?

How does it play from rough/fairway?

Mine is a Titleist Vokey 54.11.  It is used almost exclusively for greenside bunkers.  My other wedges (47°, 51°, and 56°) do the bulk of my short game work.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm testing a Callaway wedge for a review right now, and that one is 56-11. The Vokey that had been in there prior (and possibly in the future, depending how the Callaway test goes) is 54-11. I don't use my SW around the greens or out of the sand, so it's mainly for hitting full shots from the fairway or rough. I use the loft that give me a 100-yard shot on a stock swing.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Chips?

Sand?

Pitch?

Full shots?

Vokey 56-14.  I use it for all types of shots.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer they have a moderate amount of bounce and a cavityback design, so they are forgiving, easy to hit wedges.

I have the same wedges (mainly they were on sale when I was looking).

SW - 54/12 - but I haven't used it much, I suspect it'll be used for everything from 100yd in, in combination with my other wedges.  Need to go play with them for a bit.

((I don't really understand the point of cavity backs for the short irons and wedges............but that's just me.  I don't think it'll hurt anything, but I don't really see any benefit either other than a marketing ploy))

Bill - 

Chips?

Sand?

Pitch?

Full shots?

56 with 19 degrees of bounce

Use it mostly for pitching, works great from the fairway and rough, I hardly ever chip.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/57874/my-edel-wedges-or-super-bounce-and-why-its-good-for-you-or-the-sweet-spot-is-finally-in-the-right-place

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

TM ATV 56 Degree Wedge.  Does not have a bounce rating, but I would say it is probably around a 10.  I use it for everything around the green now.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

TM ATV 56 Degree Wedge.  Does not have a bounce rating, but I would say it is probably around a 10.  I use it for everything around the green now.

I was looking I to getting that wedge, how do you like it?

Please include the degree, and the bounce. - Ping Eye 2+ BeCu lob wedge - 58° with approximately 12°-18° bounce & Ping ISI BeCu sand wedge - 53° w/ 8° bounce

Chips? - Ping ISI BeCu sand wedge

Sand? - Ping Eye 2+ BeCu lob wedge

Pitch? - Ping Eye 2+ BeCu lob wedge

Full shots? - Ping Eye 2+ BeCu lob wedge (60-80 yards); Ping ISI BeCu sand wedge (80-100 yards)

How does it play from rough/fairway? - Both clubs are great from either lies.

There are two schools of thought about chipping, and a number of golfers use a sand wedge for a variety of shots around the green.  I like the flexibility of being able to go to different clubs for different types of shots. I use the lob wedge when my ball is in the sand, for shorter shots where the pin is close to the edge of the green, and when you have to go over bunkers, bushes and ponds. I use the sand wedge where there is room to let the ball roll out a little. I also use my 6 through pitching wedge for chip shots, as well. Years ago I read a book by Greg Norman who was an advocate of using various clubs for chipping, based on the distance of the shot. (http://www.shark.com/sharkwatch/instruction/lesson41.php)

So really what I'm asking is how much does bounce effect your shots on a wet course compared to a dry hard course. Speaking in terms of fairways. - Good question. I tend to use my sand wedge with less bounce on dry or tight courses, because I tend to blade or skull too many shots with the additional bounce on my lob wedge.  As for the wet courses, it really depends on how wet the course is. Here if the course is a little too wet, like after a long rain, I tend to get chunky and pop-up too many shots and leave them short with the additional bounce of the lob wedge, so I will use the sand wedge with less bounce. In both cases I feel that using less bounce on the sand wedge will allow me to be more consistent.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

I was looking I to getting that wedge, how do you like it?

It is kind of hard to describe.  It does not have a lot of bounce but plays like it has more.  The way it is formed you can play all kinds of shots with one wedge.  I used to have 50, 54 and 58 Vokey's.  I thought I was awesome and got them all with lower bounces.  I was and idiot.  Now I just have a 50 that goes with my set for gap control and the ATV 56 for everything else.  Here in WI we do not get very hard surfaces so I do not see a situation where I would open it up and have to worry about blading it.  If I lived where there was hard pan type surfaces, I might go with a 58 or 60, but I don't believe anymore that higher lofted wedges with low bounce help most of us.  I like to take 20-30 yard pitch shots in lower anyway with a lot of spin so the 56 helps with that.  A lot of people look at them and say they are gimmicky, but it does not play like that and it looks completely traditional at address.  To use it well you have to utilize the large sole and bounce that it has, which is easy to do.  It is better if you have the money to get fit properly for wedges, but I don't trust most fitters and the ATV is the next best thing for me.  PM me if you have more questions about it, glad to help.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I use a taylormade 60* ATV wedge anywhere from 50 meters out to around the green and out of bunkers. I'm not sure what or how the bounce works but I know it serves me well. It's one of my fav clubs along with my 54* ATV wedge.

R11s driver 

R11s 3 wood

Rescue 11 3  18*

Rescue 11 4  21*

MP-59 5-pw

ATV wedge 54* 60*

Metal-X 2 ball putter

3.0 buggy

DX-3 ball

FLX glove

Shoes

Towel

Oakley antix sunglasses 

solar umbrella 

Chips?

Sand?

Pitch?

Full shots?

Vokey TVD 54 with 10 degrees of effective bounce, TVD 60 with 8

Chips - 54, occasionally the 60 when it is delicate and downhill

Sand - 60, over 15 yards 54

Pitch - either depending on obstacles, I prefer the 54 for a lower trajectory

Full shots - both clubs are great and have a versatile grind

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

58-12 Vokey for most sand and pitch shots.  54-14 for longer sand shots and chipping.  I use both for full shots and the 58-12 for partial wedge shots from the fairway.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 4056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!