IGNORED

2013 Masters Discussion Thread, Update with Tiger's Illegal Drop (Post #343)

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 4037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Originally Posted by LeftyTrevor

The problem is it has nothing to do with intent. After his remarks in the post round interview it was a clear misinterpretation of the rules. He needs to do the right thing and DQ himself. If not and he does win it will always be questioned.

I guess this is my point. Why are we so quick to DQ a player when this happens? TW or any other player in any other tournament. Why not just review the questionable call, recognize what the right application should be - in this case a 1 stroke penalty, apply the penalty and move on with the tournament. With all the cameras and technology available we have the ability to do that pretty fairly these days. Why not?

I agree with Notah. And maybe its just the fan in me, but give him the penalty and move on. Tiger may be an *******, he may be an arrogant, cheating ****; but in no way does Tiger Woods intentionally cheat. It was his ignorance that deserves him the penalty, not a DQ.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland:Β CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Originally Posted by Dave H

I guess this is my point. Why are we so quick to DQ a player when this happens? TW or any other player in any other tournament. Why not just review the questionable call, recognize what the right application should be - in this case a 1 stroke penalty, apply the penalty and move on with the tournament. With all the cameras and technology available we have the ability to do that pretty fairly these days. Why not?

That's exactly what would have happened, had he not signed his scorecard.Β  Now a different rule comes into play and MUST be applied.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My earlier post with 2 possible outcomes (DQ'd and people pissed, not DQ'd and people pissed) was obviously incorrect:

Penalized, not DQ'd and people pissed is obviously the right answer.

I like that Tigers answer to the Guan penalty was rules are rules - I'm sure he will say the same thing about his penalty, because penalty strokes are better than DQ'd

And now the debate will last forever, if Tiger loses by 1 or 2 strokes that this major was stolen from him - or if he wins it that he should have been DQ'd. This will become an adjunct discussion to the who is the best player ever Jack vs. Tiger "debate"

• Upvote 1

Players play, tough players win!

As much as I would love to see Tiger play and WIN, this is clearly one of those decisions that they found the rule to fit the result that they wanted.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex:Β EZone BladesΒ (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron: Β 2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by Dave H

It's a common rule.Β  Pretty much every tournament players deal with this rule.Β  It's not some obscure situation.Β  He openly admitted breaking the rule, then signed his scorecard.Β  I don't think he did it intentionally, but intent doesn't matter.Β  He broke the rules, didn't assess a penalty, and signed for an incorrect scorecard.Β  Did Dustin Johnson gain an advantage by grounding his club at the PGA?Β  Of course not, but the rules are rules.Β  If you pick and choose when to enforce them, they are worthless.

• Upvote 1

PGA players have been DQ'd for less over the years - TW needs to do the right thing and start getting ready for Merion and write this one off.Β  He needs to take the high road on this one - for his own legacy.

Agreed. This is a disaster. PS: Replying to eich41.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Its kinda ironic that Tiger's own ability is the reason he got into this position in the first place. Just think how different the leaderboard and our conversations would be this morning had he not plunked that flag stick on his 3rd shot. Thats why this game is so lethal.

That is exactly what happens, up to the point that the player signs his card and makes his score official. He can call for assistance at any time. The obligation is on the player to make sure things are correct. I like the new rule that if the player was unable to see something on their own that they should not be punished but there is nothing in what Tiger did that related to facts he could not have known. He screwed up and took and advantage that he shouldn't have.

When I saw that yesterday, I did sit and think, hey is that allowed? Then I said, nah what was I thinking, if anyone would know, it would be Tiger. And I moved on.

I think Tiger will lose a lot of respect from fellow competitors on the tour if he doesn't WD.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I just dont get it. If the committee at the time confirmed TW did indeedΒ comply with the rules, then TW signs his card and all is well. Then all of a sudden the committee gets to review everything and even after he finishes his round, then they assess the penalty and consider a DQ. Gimme a ****ing break everyone. So TW gets all the flack, but the committee gets a break b/c they get to review everything and make sure they make the right call, but TW is the ******* b/c he didnt? **** that

We might as well get rid of all the rules then if we're going to pick and choose when/how to enforce them.Β  There is no possible explanation for how Tiger could not have clarified this situation PRIOR TO SIGNING HIS SCORECARD.Β  Signing an incorrect scorecard is automatic DQ.

I think Tiger will lose a lot of respect from fellow competitors on the tour if he doesn't WD.

I'm not sure about that. He should abide by the decision of the committee in the same way that he should if he didn't like the decision. This will reflect badly on those who made the decision, not Tiger. That said I really hope he doesn't win now as there would always be a question mark over it should he do so.

Note:Β This thread is 4037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!