IGNORED

Golf lessons - Do you take them?

RRLavigne
Note: This thread is 3986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. do you or have you taken formal golf lessons?

• Yes
    • No

I just took my 1st formal golf lesson and already learned a lot about what I've been doing wrong in my swing. I'm wondering how many on this forum take or took lessons and how many just do their thing? Please chime in.

I used to take lessons.... but he had no idea how to explain anything about the swing. He had a good swing but no idea how to explain it. Didn't know how to explaining what clearing the hips means... just told me to do it. Didn't know ball flight laws (the real ones) I wish you had to show a teaching ability before becoming a PGA pro

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

Originally Posted by onephenom

I used to take lessons.... but he had no idea how to explain anything about the swing. He had a good swing but no idea how to explain it. Didn't know how to explaining what clearing the hips means... just told me to do it. Didn't know ball flight laws (the real ones)

I wish you had to show a teaching ability before becoming a PGA pro

Wow, how can you be a PGA pro and not know how and why things happen in golf and not be able to explain it? The guy i went too seemd to be able to explain everything including questions about things we haven't gotten to yet in the lessons. Gave me a few exercises to help me with the fundamentals and set up (I'm a beginner) and explained exactly WHY the exercises will help my swing. He also explained exactly why I seem to be able to hit decent with my irons and not my driver ,,, made perfect sense once he explained it. I'm really looking forward to my next lesson.

Originally Posted by RRLavigne

Wow, how can you be a PGA pro and not know how and why things happen in golf and not be able to explain it? The guy i went too seemd to be able to explain everything including questions about things we haven't gotten to yet in the lessons. Gave me a few exercises to help me with the fundamentals and set up (I'm a beginner) and explained exactly WHY the exercises will help my swing. He also explained exactly why I seem to be able to hit decent with my irons and not my driver ,,, made perfect sense once he explained it. I'm really looking forward to my next lesson.

Because they could pass the PAT, pass the written tests, and put in the hours as an apprentice but aren't good at teaching.

May even have a totally different idea of what is "correct" than another golf pro down the road and neither one is wrong...Just different.

Because they could pass the PAT, pass the written tests, and put in the hours as an apprentice but aren't good at teaching. May even have a totally different idea of what is "correct" than another golf pro down the road and neither one is wrong...Just different.

Also, you don't have to be a PGA pro to teach golf. You just can't claim to be a PGA pro, use their name/logo in promotional material, stuff like that. But you can still teach golf, call yourself a "golf pro" or "teaching pro" or whatever.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Actually the place I'm going for lessons is owned by a PGA pro however the owner not the person who's personally teaching me. Come to think of it I have no idea if my actual teacher is a PGA pro, he may simply be an experienced teacher who works for one. That said I think he's a good teacher so regardless, as a beginner I know he can help me.

I've recently started getting lessons and couldn't be happier with them.  I played when I was a kid and was taught by my Dad, but haven't played properly in years. When I decided to get back into it I thought  it would be pretty beneficial to get some lessons early on, work the kinks out and get rid of any bad habits that I'd picked up before they became truly ingrained.

Luckily, the bloke I'm taking lessons from knows what he's talking about and is really good at getting things across and explaining stuff.

Lessons are of course a luxury that not every one can afford, especially on a regular basis.  But I'd defo recommend a lesson(s) to people like me trying to get the fundamentals right, it's only gonna pay off in the long run!

Took lessons twice. Once when I was just starting and they helped a ton, took 8/10 strokes off my average. I just finished a set of 4 lessons and the results so far, have been kinda hit & miss. The pro was awesome, got his points across and did a great job of explaining what I was doing wrong & how to fix it. The issue for me, is lack of practice time and therefore, having trouble making the new swing repeatable. Last week is a perfect example. I played "Ok" on the front and had 3 pars & a birdie on the back but also had a stretch of 3 holes that I played in 8 over.

Practice, practice, practice.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Originally Posted by onephenom

I used to take lessons.... but he had no idea how to explain anything about the swing. He had a good swing but no idea how to explain it. Didn't know how to explaining what clearing the hips means... just told me to do it. Didn't know ball flight laws (the real ones)

I wish you had to show a teaching ability before becoming a PGA pro

I live in Lafayette.  I'd be curious who you used to make sure I don't make the same mistake with my wife.  If you are not comfortable throwing a name out there please message me or at least give the course name since they often have several instructors.  Thanks.

I took a few lessons a couple years ago and really enjoyed them. Then unfortunately I took last year off when life got in the way, but the good news is that I just had a lesson yesterday and plan on continuing with several more this season.

I'v thought about taking lessons since I really got into golf 18 months ago, but never got round to sorting it

I'v mainly tried to teach myself using this wonderful thing (internet / forums) and I shoot 83 - 89 95% of the time.

Anyone got their first lesson/s after they have already improved beyond a beginner / major hacker?

Pretty sure I have a few fundamental swing problems though, which crop up a little too often to shoot sub 80.

Not just a no, but HAAAAAAIIIIL NO.  LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

No...And one of the worst things happened to me that could have happened.

I was good at hitting the ball the wrong way from day one. Gave me very little incentive to try to develop a fundamentally sound golf swing. It was great at first because I was pretty good without having to go through the normal learning process but it was bad because once I reached a peak there was very little chance of improvement other than improving my short game and the normal course management details.

Tried to change some things at various times but always jumped back into my same old flawed swing as soon as something wasn't going well.

Still stuck at shooting between 70 and 80 most of the time, depending on the course and how well I'm playing...And I've been stuck in that same place for a long time.

I've taken lessons a few times and found them helpful. Just finished a series of 5 lessons in March. I've got a better understanding of my swing and what I'm doing wrong when I hit mediocre and bad shots and what I'm doing right when I hit good shots. The pro I've taken lessons from is good at keeping things straightforward and keeping the change process as simple as possible, which is key because change is tough when it doesn't immediately feel natural. As said in an earlier post, practice is key. I'll probably go in for a "tune-up" sometime during the season.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I went to a local guy, but had a similar experience as the OP.  I didn't like the lesson because he couldn't tell me why I should be doing what he suggested.  I was frustrated.  Then I read a lot of material on the golf swing and found this forum.  Using this knowledge helped me understand what I wanted in an instructor.

I went to clinic with Dave, James and Erik in the Boston area, which was much better than my first lesson because they explained why the swing works the way it does and what I could do to improve.  It was a S&T; clinic, but they really focused on parts of it and not all of the S&T; methodology.  Then I took Evolvr lessons, which helped even more.

I think it is important to find a good instructor.  But I also feel that it is important for you to be a good student as well if you really want to improve.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Self taught, then took lessons after about 3-4 yrs of playing. I have a huge video and VHS library of instruction and can remember my Dad and I videotaping our swings (back in the 80s).....but now I can't see anyone trying to pick up the game without taking lessons on a regular basis. But the best way to get good is finding a competitive group and playing for money and entering tournaments.

As a gift to myself for leaving the Army, I rewarded myself with a trip to the David Leadbetter Golf  Academy after playing the game about 20+ yrs.  Former pro Bob Lohr was my instructor. Video analysis of full swing. Came back the next year for short game with another instructor. Helped me get back on track.

Saw a local guy for reinforcement. He's helped.

But my biggest help has been long distance with pro Zach Allen (zachallengolf.com, $19/video analysis) (you might have seen some of his articles on Golf Tips Magazine). I've sent in 2-3 full swing videos and he's really helped by making some adjustments to my grip and takeaway. Still working on it, but he's helped my game to a point where I enjoy going to play again.

Nope.

I've never even seen my swing on video, though I've been told that I look like I'm trying to kill a snake with a stick.  One of these days I'll grow a big enough pair to do a video and post it here.....just for the entertainment that it will likely provide.

I imagine that a session with me could make Erik or Mike seriously consider giving up teaching!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!