IGNORED

Stevie Williams and the Winning Putt

zipazoid
Note: This thread is 3990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by NM Golf

I think if you read the thread in its entirety you will see most people don't really have an issue with his behavior with Adam Scott at the Masters. Its more of a complete picture type of deal. If he wasn't a total ass all the time then I don't think people would have even noticed his behavior at the Masters.

Exactly! And for me, it has absolutely zero to do with anything he's ever said about Tiger Woods. If it did, I'd be quite hypocritical, since I've said a lot of bad things about Woods myself. It has everything to do with his behavior toward others.

Perhaps he felt he was just doing his job in those instances. I don't really care if that's how he perceived it or not - he stepped way out of line numerous times.

I should've mentioned that I didn't see any real issue with his actions on the final green at the Masters.

John

I think if you read the thread in its entirety you will see most people don't really have an issue with his behavior with Adam Scott at the Masters. Its more of a complete picture type of deal. If he wasn't a total ass all the time then I don't think people would have even noticed his behavior at the Masters.

What this thread shows clearly is the extreme bias that many have against Steve. He's no angel but is he really as bad as all that? I think he's probably one of the best at what he does, partly because of his experience at the top. His behavior at the Masters was entirely proper and appropriate. Nice job Steve!

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I liken Steve to an offensive lineman in football.  He's not the star, but he opens holes for the running back and protects the quarterback.  When the team wins, he gets to celebrate.  Nothing wrong with that.  Sean Folley is also part of the team.  He gets to celebrate as well, but he's more like the head coach without the Gatorade bath.

How many strokes is Steve worth?  Is it a stroke a tournament?  A stroke a round?  A stroke a side?  More importantly, how much better is he than another professional caddy, or a relative or one of the Patrons?  Hard to say.  We know that he was worth that one stroke at the playoff hole.

A lot of people say he's just an a-hole, bag ape.  Clearly Adam Scott thinks enough of him as a teamate to read the most important putt of his career!  Hey, maybe Steve should have talked him out of some of those club selections in the 2012 Open.  That was a meltdown of biblical proportions.  I think some of the blame has to go to Steve.

Occam's razor

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Seriously? The caddy is usually the first person to congratulate the player regardless....yes, Stevie is a tool, but his celebration with Adam on Sunday was no different to 99% of other caddies out there

sigh

Well said. Agreed.

Bubba hugged his caddy, there was no thread about that...

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Originally Posted by saturday

Well said. Agreed.

Ted Scott (Bubba's Caddy) is not know to be a total asshat.

To reiterate (again), for the most part the people contributing to this thread do not have an issue with his behavior at the Masters just his overall a$$hole existance.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by NM Golf

Steve would probably have pouted for the rest of the summer had he not received the kudos he felt he deserved.

Because Steve Williams is an asshat.

I have no doubt he is good at his job, he has worked for some of the biggest names on Tour. But then again there are many caddies out there who work for Tour stars yet still conduct themselves as gentlemen and don't come off as total pricks. Bones Mackay, Fluff Cowan, and JP Fitzgerald to name a few. Not sure what your point is with the narrow minded comment, but his conduct doesn't upset me, he just rubs me the wrong way.

Being a strong willed Kiwi myself I find it hard to not to take offence to a moderator calling me an *******.

Steve Williams has an ego that doesn't suit golf, which is why I think so many people get rubbed the wrong way. But I think it is an ego that a lot of pro's would put up with for his experience and knowledge.

Originally Posted by NickA

Being a strong willed Kiwi myself I find it hard to not to take offence to a moderator calling me an *******.

Steve Williams has an ego that doesn't suit golf, which is why I think so many people get rubbed the wrong way. But I think it is an ego that a lot of pro's would put up with for his experience and knowledge.

I missed the post where anyone, moderator or otherwise, called you an *******.

The only reference I saw was to Williams, who is indeed an *******.

John

Please read why he said again, he was calling Stevie an a$$hole

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Williams has an ego that doesn't suit any sport given his role within the sport.  He's not the professional athlete, he's the guy that lugs a bag around and helps his pro win tournaments.  You don't see the lead mechanic of a NASCAR team taking credit for his driver winning the race.

I gave him credit for helping Scott read the putt that won, but overall, he's an ass and very fortunate that Scott isn't a guy that minds sharing the limelight.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by mvmac

Please read why he said again, he was calling Stevie an a$$hole

Calling Steve an a$$hole and the comment of a strong willed Kiwi being slang for being an a$$hole are two different things in my opinion. I realise it was probably a tongue and cheek comment not meant to offend but it poked me in my patriotism.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Williams has an ego that doesn't suit any sport given his role within the sport.  He's not the professional athlete, he's the guy that lugs a bag around and helps his pro win tournaments.  You don't see the lead mechanic of a NASCAR team taking credit for his driver winning the race.

I gave him credit for helping Scott read the putt that won, but overall, he's an ass and very fortunate that Scott isn't a guy that minds sharing the limelight.

I agree completely that he shouldn't act like he acts a lot of the time. But I think caddies in general deserve more than 'the guy who lugs the clubs around'.

• Administrator

Calling Steve an a$$hole and the comment of a strong willed Kiwi being slang for being an a$$hole are two different things in my opinion. I realise it was probably a tongue and cheek comment not meant to offend but it poked me in my patriotism.

That's not how the comment reads. It's specific to Stevie Williams, as is this entire conversation .

Stop trying to find ways in which to be offended.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Can we change the title of this thread to 'Steve Williams is a tool' or something along the lines of that. Seeing as it has gone from being about the putt, to just being about Steve.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Can we change the title of this thread to 'Steve Williams is a tool' or something along the lines of that. Seeing as it has gone from being about the putt, to just being about Steve.

Come on, Kieran... nothing is everrrrr just about Stevie.

• Upvote 1

As the thread starter, my initial title was 'Stevie Williams...Ugh' & it was changed to its current title.

Point being, my intent of the thread was to discuss his over-the-top reaction & attention-monopolizing after the putt was made.

Originally Posted by saturday

Well said. Agreed.

Did Bubba's caddy once caddie for Woods, then go on to criticize the "holy" Woods? No. That's why there was not a thread about that.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

Did Bubba's caddy once caddie for Woods, then go on to criticize the "holy" Woods? No. That's why there was not a thread about that.

The problem with your line of thinking is this: lots and lots of people thought Stevie was a douche when he was with Tiger, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!