Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr Smell Good

Do you guys prefer to walk or ride 18 holes?

54 posts in this topic

Personally I really love getting the cart.  I'm not lazy but when I am playing golf I like to relax as much as possible.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

The course I play all the younger ones ride in carts and all the older ones walk.

Once you reach a certain age, I belive everybody should walk if capable. Say what you will, however, carts are being lazy.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I walk as long as it is an option. I have occasionally used a cart when playing with someone who can't walk, but even then I like to walk a lot between shots and let the other guy drive. I also carry my bag and have no plan to stop doing that. I may get a push cart if my back starts complaining, but I'm fine so far. I prefer carrying and being able to put the bag down anywhere. I never have to bring multiple clubs and risk leaving one behind in the grass. Enjoying the walk and feeling the grass is a big part of the round for me. I wouldn't enjoy it as much if I drove around all the time and just played golf. I don't play golf to relax. ;-)
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In order of option

Walk with a caddie, did this at TPC sawgrass, it was the best way to enjoy a course. To walk the same course as the pro's do, with a caddie, that was just as awesome as the course. So, if this was an option, and not to outrageously priced, walk + caddie

Walk carrying clubs

Walk w/ pull cart

Ride, even when i ride in a cart, i will get out and walk a lot as well. Riding in a cart does not mean faster play. If everyone is crowding around one golf ball. So what i will do is, pick 3-4 clubs, or if i am by the green, take my wedges and putter, and just walk it, while the other person goes to park by the green. Alot of times, you can't get near your ball with a cart. This speeds up play, and gets me some exercise as well.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There are only two courses I play where walking is an option. Because I am usually at those before or after work the only way to finish is to ride so I ride all the time. Here in CO many of the newer courses are so spread out that it would be torture to walk, some won't let you. Not uncommon to travel several hundred yards from a green to the next tee.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I started walking in January because we had a really wet winter and it was always cart path only - which is the worst of all scenarios.  And I found I really prefer walking.  As mentioned, you always have the right club b/c you have the whole bag.  I did get one of the push carts.  I definitely prefer that to carrying the bag.

In the dead of Georgia summer, I might need to go cart.  But for now - all walking all the time.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Mr Smell Good

Personally I really love getting the cart.  I'm not lazy but when I am playing golf I like to relax as much as possible.


It largely depends on the course.  If the course is walking friendly (tee box for the next hole not 2 blocks away) and it isn't SUPER SUPER hilly, I would prefer to walk.

I think walking has a few solid benefits

#1 - it is harder to lose your ball when you walk.  Because you can leave the tee box and have a single point of reference to your ball, you are more likely to be able to walk straight to it, instead of riding where you first have to sometimes go to your partners ball and by that point you have lost your frame of reference for your ball

#2 - when you hit a bad shot, you have to walk to it, which gives you a chance to burn off some of the anger from the bad shot, allowing you to cool off a little bit and clear your head prior to the next shot.  Also, when you have a great shot, the euphoria of that great shot lasts longer because it takes you longer to get to the next shot.

#3 - you don't have to make compromises when you walk in the spirit of pace of play.  The perfect example of this is green side shots and cart path only cart golf.  In the case of Green side shots, lets say you have a sand shot into a very narrow green.  As a result of the narrow green you end up either out of the sand and just off the green (short or long) but because the cart is off on the path, you only have your sand wedge and your putter to choose from, or you have to make everybody wait as you run back to your cart to grab a different club.  If you walk, your clubs are likely not far from you so you can take the 5-6 paces to get the appropriate club.  In the sense of cart path only, often times you don't know exactly which club to hit so you have to bring several clubs, and sometimes they all end up being the wrong club.

#4 - walking is healthier.  I am as guilty as Most of the rest of this country.  I eat too much bad food, I work at a desk and don't work out as often as I should.  Walking a golf course is a great way to ENJOY a workout.  Sure it isn't as good as a 5k, or other higher intensity workouts, but I don't like running a 5k and I do like to play golf, so it makes it more tolerable.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting... never heard of walking not being an option

Originally Posted by thescarecrow

The course I play all the younger ones ride in carts and all the older ones walk.

Once you reach a certain age, I belive everybody should walk if capable. Say what you will, however, carts are being lazy.

I'll have to disagree about carts being lazy.  I know i'm not lazy because I work out every day M-F.  I love being able to golf on the weekends using a cart, plus my legs are usually pretty sore.  Can't argue that it's healthier to walk though

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do a search, you'll find a hundred threads on this very subject.  They tend to get a little acrimonious.......

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

If you do a search, you'll find a hundred threads on this very subject.  They tend to get a little acrimonious.......

sorry... mistake of being new I guess

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Mr Smell Good

sorry... mistake of being new I guess

That wasn't meant to complain.  Just to let you know that the history is there.  Makes for some fun reading.....

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by clearwaterms

It largely depends on the course.  If the course is walking friendly (tee box for the next hole not 2 blocks away) and it isn't SUPER SUPER hilly, I would prefer to walk.

I think walking has a few solid benefits

#1 - it is harder to lose your ball when you walk.  Because you can leave the tee box and have a single point of reference to your ball, you are more likely to be able to walk straight to it, instead of riding where you first have to sometimes go to your partners ball and by that point you have lost your frame of reference for your ball

#2 - when you hit a bad shot, you have to walk to it, which gives you a chance to burn off some of the anger from the bad shot, allowing you to cool off a little bit and clear your head prior to the next shot.  Also, when you have a great shot, the euphoria of that great shot lasts longer because it takes you longer to get to the next shot.

#3 - you don't have to make compromises when you walk in the spirit of pace of play.  The perfect example of this is green side shots and cart path only cart golf.  In the case of Green side shots, lets say you have a sand shot into a very narrow green.  As a result of the narrow green you end up either out of the sand and just off the green (short or long) but because the cart is off on the path, you only have your sand wedge and your putter to choose from, or you have to make everybody wait as you run back to your cart to grab a different club.  If you walk, your clubs are likely not far from you so you can take the 5-6 paces to get the appropriate club.  In the sense of cart path only, often times you don't know exactly which club to hit so you have to bring several clubs, and sometimes they all end up being the wrong club.

#4 - walking is healthier.  I am as guilty as Most of the rest of this country.  I eat too much bad food, I work at a desk and don't work out as often as I should.  Walking a golf course is a great way to ENJOY a workout.  Sure it isn't as good as a 5k, or other higher intensity workouts, but I don't like running a 5k and I do like to play golf, so it makes it more tolerable.

This 100%

I enjoy walking as I get to take more of the course in, to really see the beauty of the course.

I can go either way with walking or riding though.  I'm good as long as I get to golf

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it just depends on the course, time of day and who I am playing with or even the deal we got.

But I love to walk early morning crack of dawn tee times and not being rushed or will get a cart if it is going to be really hot afternoon.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I much prefer to walk. I generally play better too.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Mr Smell Good

Interesting... never heard of walking not being an option

I'll have to disagree about carts being lazy.  I know i'm not lazy because I work out every day M-F.  I love being able to golf on the weekends using a cart, plus my legs are usually pretty sore.  Can't argue that it's healthier to walk though

Agree, I go to the gym 5-6 times a week for my workouts. When im on the course i want the relax.

If i was someone who didnt hit the gym then its a good way to get a little workout in i suppose.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

one other thing I would like to point out.  Often times (at least in my experience) if you are shopping for a deal for golf (golfnow, etc.) the courses will include the cart for the deal.  Even if I prefer to walk, I am too cheap to pass up a freebie.  So if a course wants to give me a cart for the same price, I am likely to take it because of the deal.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently, I'm dealing with a heel spur and plantar fasciitis.  So, nothing but riding.

However, last year I picked up a not-so-fancy remote bag caddy.  This way, I don't have to carry and wear out my back (surgery in '11).

I'll get back to walking eventually

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since there is no practice range nearby and there are usually only a few (if any) people on the course most of our "practice" is on the course, except for what I can practice in the yard at home. Because of that we almost always play multiple rounds in a cart, usually two or three, sometimes playing multiple balls and extra shots that we are working on, and if we walked we would be so tired by then that the "practice" would be pretty much worthless.

I think it's comical that someone would accuse those of us that ride of being "lazy" since I run and/or walk 10 miles every day and work out 3 times a week. I just prefer to get most of my exercise away from the golf course and relax on the golf course.

That said, if all I'm going to do is play one round of golf, and I'm not in any hurry, I don't mind walking and playing and I actually play better when I walk.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • I always use Swing x Swing for the statistical feedback so it keeps track for me.  When playing with buddies and there's a friendly wager at stake, I will also keep traditional scorecard for all parties so that it's all transparent and easily reviewable by all.
    • well since 2013, i've been messing around with the Maxfli U series balls..  started with the U2,  cuz i had a nasty slice lol..   tried the U3's and U4's both had bad results cuz i still had a awful slice...  then in 2015, i tried the Maxfli Softfli figuring if i worked on slowing my swing down and just making better contact, i'd get straighter drives / keep the ball in play  and lower my scores...   while at first it didnt happen....  this summer has been a world of difference.... So this summer i started out just working on keeping my swing short and making good contact... which has worked wonders!!   i was still using the SoftFli, and hitting my drives a lot straighter and longer..  my iron shots also ended up being better too...     but then my issue became stopping the ball on the green.. cuz i was hitting a lot of greens but having the ball roll off or i'd go past the pin, but no backspin..     So today, i decided to try some of the U6lc balls i bought last summer...  and i dont know if they are any longer or shorter off the driver or even the irons..didnt notice anything...   i did lose 2..  1 cuz i grabbed the wrong wedge lol  56-12 on a tight lie and shanked one off into the tree's...  and 2nd ball i tried to cut across a small dogleg right... and sliced the ball into a corn field lol...    but this ball was awesome on iron and wedge shots..  had several wedge shots, where i spun the ball back..  had a 7iron on a par 3, that i spun the ball back too...    so for green side shots, this ball surprised me alot..  i have tried playing PRoV's and the U4's in the past but my short game wasnt great so i didnt get the good short game control..     But for someone looking for a good " Tour Type " of ball at a reasonable price, look into the U6's    i plan on using the U6's for a long time!!      hopefully they dont discontiue these anytime soon  
    • I understand it is subjective but how do you measure 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 on an Erik pitch and a full swing?
    • How is it playing from a wrong place when the ball was still moving when it was struck?  It should be 14-2 and 18-5, and you refer to 1-4/12 for the explanation as to why breaching two two stroke rules doesn't result in a total of 4 penalty strokes.
    • Encouraging signs that the U.S. Ryder Cup approach to pairings has entered the modern age. http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2016/8/29/ryder-cup-fun-sets-in-luke-donald-considered-for-pick-davis.html
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Arthurd561
      Arthurd561
      (34 years old)
    2. Wineguy
      Wineguy
      (48 years old)
  • Blog Entries