IGNORED

I Hate Getting Paired Up With "That Guy"

D-Man
Note: This thread is 1704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just spent the past 45 minutes reading people's opinions on this topic. I have had a few people ask me my opinion at the driving range about various swing issues but I will certainly be keeping my opinions to myself when on the course. Didn't know so many people felt that strongly about not getting advice. Makes sense though. If someone doesn't ask, don't offer, not matter how bad they suck. 2 cents...

I don't mind getting advice, but giving it is another thing.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just spent the past 45 minutes reading people's opinions on this topic. I have had a few people ask me my opinion at the driving range about various swing issues but I will certainly be keeping my opinions to myself when on the course. Didn't know so many people felt that strongly about not getting advice. Makes sense though. If someone doesn't ask, don't offer, not matter how bad they suck. 2 cents...

Then again, how do you know IF your getting good advice, or bad advice..?  IMHO it's best to keep to yourself. If a person wants to improve, they will seek out some help.

IMHO it's best to keep to yourself. If a person wants to improve, they will seek out some help.

Indeed - I had a revelation this year ... I wanted to help this guy so bad, but he was obviously ok with his gawdawful slice (he consistently aimed 50yards left off the tee allowing for it to curve back into play).    Some people aren't as avid as we are & apparently don't really care about playing the game "correctly" or to the level that we strive to.    And that's ok, but hard for many of us (OK, me)  to come to grips with...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

[QUOTE]   IMHO it's best to keep to yourself. If a person wants to improve, they will seek out some help.[/QUOTE] Indeed - I had a revelation this year ... I wanted to help this guy so bad, but he was obviously ok with his gawdawful slice (he consistently aimed 50yards left off the tee allowing for it to curve back into play).    Some people aren't as avid as we are & apparently don't really care about playing the game "correctly" or to the level that we strive to.    And that's ok, but hard for many of us (OK, me)  to come to grips with...

Someday, he'll be at a dogleg right par 4 where that slice would have been an asset, but he would not be able to do it anymore because you "fixed" it. Instead of finding the fairway he goes straight long and into a lake. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Someday, he'll be at a dogleg right par 4 where that slice would have been an asset, but he would not be able to do it anymore because you "fixed" it. Instead of finding the fairway he goes straight long and into a lake.

funny and true ;-)

whenever paired up with "that guy" i find that one nasty/mean comment to them shuts them up for the round or they quit after a few holes cause i dont talk to them at all. its really pretty simple.

'I'm amazed at how well you scoot the ball around the course with that hitch, how long have you been playing with? have you ever considered trying to patent it?' A couple of my favorite lines ... One of them usually works lol Anyone else have some good 'shut the f@&$ up' lines they would like to share? This should be good ;-)

'I'm amazed at how well you scoot the ball around the course with that hitch, how long have you been playing with? have you ever considered trying to patent it?' A couple of my favorite lines ... One of them usually works lol

Anyone else have some good 'shut the f@&$ up' lines they would like to share? This should be good

The timing has to be right but I heard someone say "your standing too close to the ball after you hit it".

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

How about giving a distance reading out loud with a laser after he makes his shot? :loco:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 5 years later...
On 5/5/2013 at 4:07 AM, mad max said:

I think you are that guy.  Never, never give advice to someone unless they give you an opening.  The way you described the first scenario the woman or (hacking chick) didn't want your advice.  You should just accept that and play your round not glare back at her when you do something good.  She had every right to let you know that she did not want any more advice.

How would you feel if after you thinned your ball O.B. she told you "you know you should try and hit about 1" behind the ball in the sand."  If it was me it would piss me off more than I was already.  I know that.  I was thinking I had a shot at birdie and now I have to hole the ball from the sand just to make par.

Sorry if I came of harsh or rude but my mother played for 20+ years and would constantly get swing advice from strangers.  I shoot about the same scores as her but have never gotten unsolicited advice even though I am sure a few good tips could make me better at the short game and putting, but I don't think any tip could help my mother drive the ball 200.  It was also usually the foot wedge guy, or the guy that drops his ball 30 yards past his longest drive of the day when he can't find the ball that was quickest to give advice.

Agree 100%, never give advice...gotta admit that what you did would annoy me very much

• iacas changed the title to I Hate Getting Paired Up With "That Guy"

This looks to be a very old thread, but I found it interesting.

As a (lousy) woman golfer who sometimes goes out to play by myself, I must have a sign on my back that says, "PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO"!  Very few women golfers—even good ones—give unsolicited advice to anyone, but it seems to be a knee-jerk reaction for the men.

For me, it’s not whether you play well enough to give me advice; you probably do.  Rather, I’ve been taking lessons and already have two or three swing thoughts in my head already.  Please don’t add to the cacophony in there!  My own husband can’t help himself, but at least his motives are pure:  he WANTS me to play well and get joy from the game.

So, please—no advice, no phony praise, let’s just enjoy the day and the course...and be thankful we are playing golf!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This can be a touchy subject. A couple years ago I got into the bad habit of shanking short chips and less than full pitch shots. My life long buddy said, "I see what you're doing wrong, but I'll only tell you if you want me to." I asked him to tell me. I was just flipping the club behind me and basically throwing the hosel at the ball. I wan't making any backswing or shoulder turn at all! I still have to remind myself of this, but I rarely shank one of those shots anymore. 

Another time we were paired up with a couple of ladies at a local, upscale daily fee course. That was fine. The ladies could play, and were not slow. One of them, however, was having an issue with her tee shots. She held on to the Driver like grim death, and at waist high in the through swing the clubface was looking at the sky! She was hitting weak little popups to the right. After yet another one of these, she walked off the tee saying, "What is wrong with me today?" 

I said to her that I could see what she was doing, and would she mind terribly if I gave her a tip? She welcomed the advice. I demonstrated what she was doing, and what she should be doing to straighten out her Driver. On the next tee, she asked me to come up and watch her practice swing! Her first still had a little to much "hold on" in it, and I told her to do more of what I showed her. Her next practice swing looked great, and I told her, "Yes! Do that! Put that swing on the ball." Crack! Right down the middle and for good distance. I don't think she missed a fairway the rest of the round. At the end of the round she came up to me, shook my hand, and thanked me for helping her! 

These are a couple of instances where things went well. In both cases the advice was not "unsolicited". Permission was asked for, and received. I am generally loathe to give advice on the course, my buddy not so much. But, he knew he could help me, and I knew I could help that lady. All we wanted to do was help another person play better.

Edited by Buckeyebowman
  • Thumbs Up 1

Today, paired up with a guy with little to no basic golf course related courtesy.

When it was time for my shots from the tee, he would talk somewhat loudly to himself, usually mumbling about his last shot. Also walked around more than in my vision. Solving one problem and ignoring the other, I asked him to stand still or simply be behind me.  Needed a reminder every 3 or 4 holes.

He he preferred to walk, at least I did not share my cart!

But this is what annoyed me the most!

He walked away from every fairway divot he made and every  needed green repair after his wedge shots. One the first green, I made the repair of his damage so I could make my putt.  I offered him my extra repair tool but his reply was "What would I need the for". I gave a rather low key answer and told him how the repair is simple to do, He grunted, "That's what the greens keepers are paid to do."  I guess that also applied to his simply dropping his cigars anyplace he felt was ok.

I made repairs to three wildly big divots made after his very bad 7i shots.  I did not even bother to say anything to him any more. I love this course and do my best to keep it playable after I cause damage. 

Mild revenge was achieved when the starter, who knows me fairly well, asked how my game was and I replied, "My game was OK, but never pair me with him again" He sighed and said "We get more complaints about him than any other golfer on our course. We may have to suspend his playing privileges again".  As the starter is about 6'4 and very much in shape, I suspect there was no back talk when he went to speak with him.

The starter gave me a free beverage at the 19th hole as thanks.

I will take true novices, duffers, teenagers, middle school players, old guys who no longer play well (like me), people who talk except when anybody is hitting the ball, even unique scoring system people, over guys who think they own the course!

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Note: This thread is 1704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!