IGNORED

Who can defend Sergio?

albatross
Note: This thread is 3989 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Spyder

As if anyone with 1/10th of a functioning brain in today's society needed to have this explained to them?

Sergio apparently didn't know. Heck, he apparently missed the Fuzzy thing 16 years ago.

Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan

Sergio apparently didn't know. Heck, he apparently missed the Fuzzy thing 16 years ago.

In his defense, he is also European and from a completly different culture. I'm sure he's not up to par with all American sterotypes.

In The Bag:

Driver: None

3 Wood: None

5 Wood: Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz

2 Iron: Spalding Top Flite 73

4-PW: Giga Golf C510 Pursuit

60 Degree Wedge by Titleist 

Putter: Wilson Harmonized Augusta

Ball: Slazenger Raw Distance Feel

Originally Posted by Joe Jordan

In his defense, he is also European and from a completly different culture. I'm sure he's not up to par with all American sterotypes.

Then what in the world was the point of saying fried chicken? He knew exactly what he was saying when he said it.

KFC has a deal on Monday and Pioneer has one on Tuesday. These guys need to get some gloves on..lol Fuzzy lost a million a year over his statement with Kmart.

What is really troubling is how many people are poo-pooing what he said, thereby showing their own true colors.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan

Then what in the world was the point of saying fried chicken? He knew exactly what he was saying when he said it.

Perhaps he likes fried chicken? Besides, Tiger is known to enjoy chicken. He even says so on his personal website.

Its not that big of a deal anyway. If this is the best "controversy" we can get in the PGA, then obviously the PGA is doing something right (unlike other sports associations, such as the NBA or the MLB). And I do recall hearing Tiger make a comment a few years back in regards to Sergio, calling him a "wetback". So is it racist for someone, like Woods, to call someone a "Wetback?" I don't remember Woods making a public apology after that. I could be wrong, but I don't remember much. This happened back in the late 90's early 00's.

In The Bag:

Driver: None

3 Wood: None

5 Wood: Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz

2 Iron: Spalding Top Flite 73

4-PW: Giga Golf C510 Pursuit

60 Degree Wedge by Titleist 

Putter: Wilson Harmonized Augusta

Ball: Slazenger Raw Distance Feel

No, it's not a big deal. At the end of the day, it's one golf pro not liking another. But it's sure entertaining watching Sergio constantly show his envy/jealousy.

• Upvote 1

So they don't like each other...we are in a too "politically correct" world....fried chicken or tacos or spanish sardines...who cares! Sit back and enjoy the fireworks...at least Sergio isn't another "clone".

• Upvote 1

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade:

Perhaps he likes fried chicken? Besides, Tiger is known to enjoy chicken. He even says so on his personal website.

Its not that big of a deal anyway. If this is the best "controversy" we can get in the PGA, then obviously the PGA is doing something right (unlike other sports associations, such as the NBA or the MLB). And I do recall hearing Tiger make a comment a few years back in regards to Sergio, calling him a "wetback". So is it racist for someone, like Woods, to call someone a "Wetback?" I don't remember Woods making a public apology after that. I could be wrong, but I don't remember much. This happened back in the late 90's early 00's.

I really do not recall this. I believe this would have been really major news at the time and I was not able to go back and find anything on this. Please link me to the source.

Originally Posted by turtleback

What is really troubling is how many people are poo-pooing what he said, thereby showing their own true colors.

I am not sure what you mean by this at all. There are only one way to look at this and that is to know that it was a stereotypical winger that Sergio threw out there, while knowing what he was saying and the meaning behind it. He can say that he felt "sick" and "couldn't sleep or hit a shot the next day from feeling like my heart was going to pop out" all he wants. In reality, he's only sorry because it blew up. This is no different than when a common criminal tells the judge that they're sorry and they made a mistake. No, it was not a mistake. It was an action that he/they were fully aware of at the time and they are only sorry when faced with consequences and negativity for their careless remarks/actions.

This is a poor, poor defense. He knew exactly what he was saying and what it meant. He acknowledged that he knew what it meant in his "apology" and also in TaylorMade's canned (pre-written and ready to deploy upon a moment's notice) publicist statement as well.

And I do recall hearing Tiger make a comment a few years back in regards to Sergio, calling him a "wetback". So is it racist for someone, like Woods, to call someone a "Wetback?" I don't remember Woods making a public apology after that. I could be wrong, but I don't remember much. This happened back in the late 90's early 00's.

Do you have a link to back this up? The only racially insensitive thing I remember Tiger saying was a joke about black and white penises that got printed in GQ in the very early part of his career. He asked the writer not to print it because he thought the conversation was off the record, but the journalist printed it anyway and then Woods pretty much shut down real communication with the media.

He knew it was wrong as he wished he could have taken it back immediately, however, he may not have known how wrong it was as the history and severity is American indeed.

Bottom line, Shut it Sergio. Moving your lips is getting expensive.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I said: What is really troubling is how many people are poo-pooing what he said, thereby showing their own true colors.

Then you wrote:

Originally Posted by Spyder

I am not sure what you mean by this at all. There are only one way to look at this and that is to know that it was a stereotypical winger that Sergio threw out there, while knowing what he was saying and the meaning behind it. He can say that he felt "sick" and "couldn't sleep or hit a shot the next day from feeling like my heart was going to pop out" all he wants. In reality, he's only sorry because it blew up. This is no different than when a common criminal tells the judge that they're sorry and they made a mistake. No, it was not a mistake. It was an action that he/they were fully aware of at the time and they are only sorry when faced with consequences and negativity for their careless remarks/actions.

So, by way of explanation:

I agree that there is only one way to look at it.  And those who are trying to minimize or excuse what he said or trying to make the case that it was not a racist comment are showing their own true colors.  Racism is far from dead, in the country and on this board.

And I agree with you about the whole "sorry" thing".  I think he is sorry and seemed shaken at the presser because he got read the riot act by Taylormade.  Their release said they will continue to monitor the situation, which IMO means that if it doesn't die down in a big hurry they are going to cut him loose.  He's sorry.  Sorry that he is going to lose a boatload of money.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

He's human... we all make mistakes and make comments we regret later. Racial stereotypes happens to be a popular in comedy, and society doesn't drop the "racist" bomb anymore when people make jokes. Whether in good taste or bad, a jokes a joke. Can't we go back to Stevie Williams racist comments on Tiger? That's more fun since he just won the Masters!

SMH.  Joe, I have to question your recollection of Tiger calling Sergio a racial slur. I highly doubt that occurred because it would've been a big story.

I agree with the comment above that being "a little bit racist" is like being only a little bit pregnant.  How does one decide how much bigotry is perfectly fine and hunky-dory and how much has crossed the line and is no longer acceptable?  Isn't the concept of "acceptable quantities of bigotry" analogous to saying "a non-offensive degree of rape" or "a reasonable amount of child abuse?"  Some things are just wrong regardless of the degree or quantity.

Here's a question for you:  what if Sergio (or Fuzzy before him) had instead said Tiger should have Tom Yum [soup] followed by chicken basil stir-fiy or Pad Thai?  Would it have been viewed as offensively stereotyping Woods?  He's got probably as much Thai ancestry from his mom as sub-Saharan African ancestry from his dad.  If Tiger had responded "Sergio can go choke on some paella," would anyone have been offended?  Should there be a difference?  After all, one of the most distinctive and best-appreciated aspects of any ethnic group's culture is their cuisine.  I guess the only real difference is that fried chicken and collared greens are not considered haut cuiisine or highly admirable/desirable foods.  Personally, 80% of the time, I'd prefer Popeye's spicy fried chicken to French or Spanish cuisine.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Originally Posted by Wisguy

Here's a question for you:  what if Sergio (or Fuzzy before him) had instead said Tiger should have Tom Yum [soup] followed by chicken basil stir-fiy or Pad Thai?  Would it have been viewed as offensively stereotyping Woods?

I don't know about Tiger Woods, but this is offensive to me!!!  If you are having Thai food and you don't order Panang Curry with chicken, then I don't know what to tell you.

The judge will also accept the occasional Yellow curry order to mix things up.  What can I say?  I like curry.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I don't know about Tiger Woods, but this is offensive to me!!!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Note: This thread is 3989 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!