Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Socrates

Help, Hybrids Not for Me?

16 posts in this topic

I find it hard to believe that an average golfer like myself couldn't benefit from a hybrid, but I went today and...

Anyone had an experience of hitting a hybrid and having it only go as far as your 6 iron? I hit ball after ball today with a RBZ stage 2 rescue 3 19 degree and that was the outcome. I could have sworn the monitor was off so I grabbed a bunch of irons and they were spot on and consistent with my distances. Baffled as the hybrid made it feel as though the ball was flying off the face and they had a very straight flight. Moved is back in my stance, up in my stance, moved closer, backed away. Same result every time; easy to hit straight from any of those positions, but a consistent distance 30-40 yards shorter that what I hit my 3 iron.

Thoughts?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

There are lots of variations on hybrids out there. First time I played a hybrid it just didn't work - a 3H, it was great out of the rough, but did whatever it wanted from the tee or the fairway.

I later found I could hit an Adams pro head (can't remember model) and a Callaway Edge Tour hybrid OK, as long as they had an R flex shaft. I didn't have trouble hooking like I did with standard hybrid heads with more offset.

Advantage of hybrids is a shorter shaft for better control, and (usually) a smaller head than FWs for moving through the rough (less resistance). Advantage of FWs is more distance (longer shaft) and generally more bulge on the clubface. Bulge is the left-to-right horizontal arc that spins toe and heel hits back toward center.

Most golfers find hybrids work better if you hit down on them like an iron, rather than sweeping them.

Check around on hybrids, try more than just the TMs. You might try Nickent, the "Mr. Hybrid" company that went out of business, but was resurrected last year. Adams also leads in hybrids.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Bad shaft?

I like the Stage 2's but they are getting re-shafted.

Try the Adams Super S or LS and Titleist 913. The Nike has a lot of adjustability, too.

Try Titleist 913h and Ping are a different animal you might give them a swing. They inspire confidence.

I had the same issues, I tried a lot of hybrids, Callaway, Ping, Adams, Cobra, Mizuno and didn't like any of them.  Then I tried a TaylorMade rescue club and found that one worked for me.  So try a variety of hybrids, if you are set on having one, I think you will find one that you like but you will have to try several different models.

I reckon I got lucky on my hybrid additions. The ones I own are the only ones I have ever hit. I bought them from a friend and he let me try them before I bought them. I got the 3 first then wend back and got the 4. I hit both a good deal further than the respective irons. I play them around my forward heel most of the time and for some reason focus on keeping my head very still.

Depends on your swing style too.  If you have an upright swing, the hybrid might balloon and land short.  I find that a swing plane in between a 3 wood sweep and a 5 iron works for me.  I know some people that just cannot hit hybrids.  I suspect it is because they only know two swings - fairway wood and irons.

Driving irons like the MP Fli Hi, Callaway X Utility and Adams DHY might suit your better.  I can't stand hybrids and much prefer the beefed up iron appearance of the clubs mentioned.  You will likely suffer a bit with the performance from the rough when you get to the 18* 2 iron range but otherwise I love them and that's what I'll play as opposed to hybrids.

Hybrids are funny like that so you're not the only one.  But I generally classify them in 3 categories.

Mini woods - The majority of hybrids out there. Head just looks like a smaller version of a fairway wood.  They have more sole camber like woods, little to no offset.  (RBZ, Superfast, JPX825, Xhot, Anser, ..etc)  These are for those looking to replace their fairway woods with something shorter and easier to hit, typically you'd swing these much like you would with a fw. Much like a fw, they do best in a better lie scenario.

Driving irons - (H4, 712U) Less common and usually for players who already hit their long irons fairly well but would like something more forgiving or a bit easier to get more air on them.  They just look like a bulkier version of an iron, flatter soles, little bit of offset..etc.  Usually the same or only 1/2" longer than its iron counterpart.  You swing these much like an iron, slightly steeper approach, hitting down on it a bit more than you would with a "mini wood".

Utility Hybrids -  (G20, Super 9031, original TM rescues)  These have face much like an iron with a slight bulge in the back like a wood.  These types are more utility than anything.  Mid to higher cappers tend to benefit from these because its a very in the middle of the road type of club.  They also work fairly well out of light rough.  Variations in swings like if they sweep it too much or hit down on them too steep, it stays rather forgiving and keeps the ball out of serious trouble.

Ofcourse these lines are very blurred but when looking for a hybrid, I think the first thing you want to ask yourself is what you are trying to replace.  Are you looking for an easier to hit woods for those long approach shots, or are you a descent irons player looking for a slight edge, or a little bit of both with something that can be your long range club to get you out of trouble.

Hybrids ... they're different for each of us as the answers above attest.

I think the most useful ones out of rough have a rounded sole without a large footprint -- see the Callaway Hybrids (2013) or Bobby Jones Hybrids (especially the older versions).

As to lofts, I am a low speed player so I look for a hybrid in lofts that are 21 and above. Anything below that and I'm searching for a fairway.

I am done with hybrids myself, I am just too inconsistent with them.  Have had the G20 4i iron in the bag this year and love it.  Got rid of my i20 hybrid today and bought the G20 3i to match.

My Titleist 910H 21* (3i equivalent) has always been consistant from either the rough or fairway, it is definitely my 200 yard go to club.

Thanks all for the replies...long story short, I ended up buying the TM R11 Rescue...the guy at Golfsmith was insistent on me trying all the $200 hybrids when I finally just told him to go get the R11 that was on sale. $80 later I'm happy and have a decent 200 yd club that I can rely on (and the best one I hit in the bay). I've only had a it out a few times so far, but I'm getting used to the shape and swing plane I need to make it work.

Originally Posted by Socrates

I find it hard to believe that an average golfer like myself couldn't benefit from a hybrid, but I went today and...

Anyone had an experience of hitting a hybrid and having it only go as far as your 6 iron? I hit ball after ball today with a RBZ stage 2 rescue 3 19 degree and that was the outcome. I could have sworn the monitor was off so I grabbed a bunch of irons and they were spot on and consistent with my distances. Baffled as the hybrid made it feel as though the ball was flying off the face and they had a very straight flight. Moved is back in my stance, up in my stance, moved closer, backed away. Same result every time; easy to hit straight from any of those positions, but a consistent distance 30-40 yards shorter that what I hit my 3 iron.

Thoughts?

That's strange, hybrids are made so they give you more distance on the lower lofted clubs. The reason is that amateurs can't produce the club head speed to get a good gap with there long irons. So they end up with 2-3 clubs that they hit about the same distance.

You might be really mis-hitting the hybrid. For me, i hit the hybrid like my long irons, a slightly descending blow, very shallow divot.

I too just purchased the R11 on sale at Golfsmith, the 16* but I dialed it down to 15.5 as soon as I bought it. What loft did you get?

18 degree and I haven't messed with the loft. I still carry my 15.5 3 wood; if anything I may adjust it up. I'm learning to hit it right now and will have a better feel for it in a week or so.