IGNORED

Why Does Everyone Eat While Golfing?

golf55
Note: This thread is 1783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by BostonBrew

... Energy. You're burning calories as you play golf. To keep energy levels up so that you don't "crash" towards the end, you need to consume more calories.

When I was younger, I could warm up for a half hour and make through 18 with just a bottle of GatorAde at the turn.

That was 20 years ago. Now I need a good meal before I play, lots of water on the front nine, plus GatorAde and a Clif's energy bar at the turn. Otherwise, I too "crash at the end."

On Friday mornings, I bring along extra Clif's bars. Sometimes I get paired with young guys who have been up for 26 hours straight, and missed breakfast.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I only eat a pack of peanut butter crackers if I eat anything while playing 18. I carry 5 hour energy drinks in my bag and will drink one if I start feeling tired. My swing  goes to pot when I get hot and tired. I'm working on getting in better shape and losing a few pounds. I'm 53 years old.

DLX cart bag...white/red

R1
913F 15*

913H 19*

G25s 4 iron - U wedge

CG 14 Black Pearl 56* -  60*

... KOMBI 35" 

...ProV1

I was a "drink water only" player for a long time, but I started toting a bag of trail mix or just nuts or sometimes a powerbar, and it really does help out, especially if you're walking.  I would never do like some guys and call ahead for a sandwich at the turn or something like that, but a little goes a long ways when I'm out there.

Nike SQ MachSpeed Driver 

Calloway RAZR Fit 3W  

Taylor Made R7 Irons 

White Ice #1 35" 

Mizuno F50 5-7W 

Bushnell Medalist Range Finder 

Last year I bought a few bottles of some berry flavored protein liquid that you mix with water and I drank it as I played my round.

When it ran out I got another cheaper brand about like it, but with an awful flavor, and I don't get the urge to use it except for occasionally choking down a glass in the morning, and then brushing my teeth to get rid of the aftertaste.

I need to order some more of the first brand I used.

Morning Tee Times -Nutrigrain Bar -Water -Cigar... Afternoon Tee Times -Apple or fruit of some sort -Diet Coke -Cigar...

What's in the bag?
2 Iron, 3 Iron, 4 Iron, 5 Iron, 6 Iron, 7 Iron, 8 Iron, 9 Iron, PW, GW, 3 Wood, 5 Wood, Putter
Titleist Irons, Callaway Woods and a Jack Nicklaus putter. Cigars and a case of Stella.

If it's good enough for Tiger Woods, it's good enough for me.

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

I started out playing golf without eating anything during a round.

Then I started to grab something at the turn.  And at first, that used to be my case (see highlighted section below).  Whenever I would grab something to eat at the turn, my score would suffer for the next few holes.  Turns out, it was because I ate too much at the turn.

Now, I would grab a couple of protein drinks and put them in my bag.  I drink one every 6 holes.  Sometimes I would also grab some almonds.

I do notice the difference when I don't have anything during a round.  My score suffers the last few holes as I get tired and lethargic.

Originally Posted by golf55

I get distracted when I have food. Even simple as banana I lose my concentration. I just don't understand how people can switch on and off with golf.

I always walk. I eat FULL right before I leave my house. I'm usually hungry by the 6th hole lol. I have done it but I was losing so much focus on golf. The golf bag you move around and stopping every minute to hit the shot. Eating while riding a cart makes sense. Store food in the cart and eat while your buddies hit but it's harder when your walking. When I have a large group in front it takes 5hours to finish a round and I can't afford to eat at the golf restaurant so that's more than 6hrs of no food.

Now I think about it I should buy those mini size chocolate bars but I think they melt in the heat. I don't want a mess all over my hand. Small crackers maybe?

EDIT: I guess the question I"m asking is, am I the only one who doesn't eat while playing golf.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• 5 years later...

My favorite food on the course is large Pretzel Rods, the ones that look like a big cigar. I load them into a Pringles tube so they don't get broken and pull one out when I get a little hungry. You can actually swing the club with them in your mouth to keep you relaxed from biting down too hard. I saw a tip from Martin Hall where he said to put a cookie in your mouth to keep you from getting too tensed up. If you bite through the cookie during your swing, you're not relaxed. Same thing with the pretzel rod. Of course, if you're eating salty pretzels, don't forget some water.

Because the hot dog and drink  at the turn is included in my green fees.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• iacas changed the title to Why Does Everyone Eat While Golfing?

A large coffee.  Water on the back nine.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

It's a seasonal thing for me. I always have food in my bag. Mostly snack bars. However, a good, totally loaded up 12" ham/turkey from Subway also works well.

One time we were on a course that just on the other side of the fence, was a pizza place. We made arrangements with the cart girl to pick up two pizzas for us. 

But, for me, the important thing is to stay hydrated Lots of water, and other caffeine/sugar free beverages. Especially in triple digit temps.

I don't have a problem with others eating during play. That is, except for the occassional butt head who spits their sun flower seed, and peanut shells all over the place. That's pretty annoying. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Every once in a while I'll eat if I start feeling the hunger pangs, but if I do, it's typically something salty with good protein. My goto is either a small bag of cashews or even a small snack size bag of bacon that I throw in my golf bag. I'm not looking for a meal, just something to keep me going. Staying hydrated is a must. 

Note: This thread is 1783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!