IGNORED

Did Tiger earn back any of your respect?

Kevin18
Note: This thread is 3967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by WhySoSerious

I've never met the guy but he's good at playing golf.He said something snarky about hockey one time that I didn't care for but as far as his personal life goes, it's really none of my business. Hero worship is never a good  thing and I've never really understood it, if you were someone who had idolized Tiger before his 'scandal', look how heartbroken you would have been.

I almost forgot about that one…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I never looked up to him as anything but a golfer, so I had no reason to tear him down.
  • Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

When he's playing good, and he's tearing it up like no other. I enjoy watching that over the years.

But he's never been a friendly guy. Thats why Phil Mickelson is my favorite golfer for 15 years. Phil is very respectful, always has a smile, looks fans in the face, and you'll always see him signing autographs after each round.

Tiger doesn't do that, he will never be like that. He's a robot out there. He's gotten a little better with it, but thats just his personality.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by jamo

I never looked up to him as anything but a golfer, so I had no reason to tear him down.

Good call, jamo.

Kevin18,

Tiger doesn't lose a lot of sleep over whether the USA FanNation likes him or not. He's a public figure who happens to be an athlete. On a slow news day, the media's sporties shift into gossip column mode about things athletes supposedly did or didn't do to someone else. And too many fans get all heated up about it.

His marriage problems were not pleasant to watch, but that's over now. Most of the rest has been Nancy-Grace style nonsense.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Tiger has the heart of a lion, but he's a tiger. Which makes him a liger, bred for their skills in magic. It's pretty much my favorite animal. [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYwU6aiGCgA[/VIDEO]

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Having an affair is between his wife and their families, has nothing at all to do with him as a golfer.  Role models should be parents, grandparents and maybe some teachers, not professional athletes or actors.

Joe Paradiso

Not really.  Tiger has done plenty of other things to prove that he is just as much of a jerk as Sergio is.  Tiger and really Sergio for that matter are both human.  They are prone to making mistakes, listening to their egos a bit too much and saying stupid things from time to time, just like the rest of us.  Their skill in golf does nothing to change that fact.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

Not really.  Tiger has done plenty of other things to prove that he is just as much of a jerk as Sergio is.  Tiger and really Sergio for that matter are both human.  They are prone to making mistakes, listening to their egos a bit too much and saying stupid things from time to time, just like the rest of us.  Their skill in golf does nothing to change that fact.

Agree here.  If you know a lot about someone you make judgments about the kind of person they are automatically.  No one's walking around crying all day because Tiger turned out to be a crappy person, but if you can just disregard his off the course actions completely then I'd say that's worse because you think his status and job title puts him above you and your judgment.  Being disappointed someone you liked didn't turn out to be who you thought they were isn't idol worship.  I still root for him, but I can't say my perception of someone isn't going to change when they do certain things.

Originally Posted by jshots

I realize I have Tiger bias.

shit.

for or against?  makes all the difference.

Colin P.

First and foremost - Sergio is terrible.  I can't find a way to pull for this guy.  I thought he had a small but valid point about the club pull situation, but then just took it to a ridiculous place.  What the hell was he thinking?  Is that something you can say in Spain and everyone thinks it is OK?  WTF?  If Tiger was cold to him - good.

As for Tiger, I try not to hold him too responsible for the wife-cheating thing.  I didn't really follow golf when all that went down anyway.  And I'm sure I enjoy the work of some other athlete, musician actor/actress, etc that cheated on their spouse at one time or another.  Happens all the time.  But it certainly didn't help.

In the "Pro" column, I've got to respect the amount of work he does and his approach to the game.  He really stalks the field.  It's scary.  And when I see him lift the trophy, I tend to think the guy who put in the most work probably won this tournament.  It seems fitting.

In the "Con" column, I do have trouble pulling for him - I guess because of his personality.  He just seems joyless or humorless.  The first golf tournament I ever watched was the 2011 Masters - and Tiger was about the only name I knew. So I was pulling for him.  Since then he has totally lost me. I tend to pull for the Bubba / Phil types.  Also, I just hate to see the same person win all the time.  Most people I talk to about it would love to see him win every weekend - and its like they expect you to think so too.

Breaking! Did you gentlemen hear about Sergio apparently leaving a handwritten note in Tiger Woods' locker at Merion? How do you feel about THIS now?

In My Bag..

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 9.5* Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Taylormade Burner 2009 15* Stiff GraphiteShaft
5 Wood: Powerbilt Oversized 21* Stiff Steel Shaft
3-PW Irons: Cleveland 588 Forged MB Irons with Stiff Shaft
SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 2009 56* wedge with 14* of bounce, Stiff Steel Shaft

LW: N/A yet
Putter: Taylormade Monte Carlo 7 -34" with Superstroke 3.0 Slim grip
Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

Thats pretty lame if you ask me. Be man enough to look Tiger in the eye and apologize to him like man. Who writes notes????? This ainit high school
  • Upvote 1

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Tiger didn't cheat on me and I never slept with him so I have no opinion or care in the world about his off-course activities.

The guy is a phenom and I root for him every chance that I get and I enjoy watching him play golf and be dominant too. That will not change and I just think he is too damn exciting and "once-in-a-lifetime" to ignore or waste time hating someone that I have no personal attachment to.

Long story short, he never gained any respect in my opinion because he never lost any. I enjoy watching Tiger Woods the golfer, not reading about Tiger Woods according to People Magazine and TMZ.

• Upvote 1

I dont understand anyone who is a real fan of golf not like Tiger at least as a player. The personal life shit it what it is but his ability to play golf is unbelievable hes the most creative shot maker in my life time(30 I never saw Jack) and the best winner in history.

Unfortunatley, all famous athletes are looked up to by kids. When you act like a jerk, the kids act like jerks. Sure the parents should be role models, but it simply doesn't happen.

When you make millions of dollars playing professional golf, you should act like a professional.

Sure me you and everybody here does things in life, that we all regret. But I aint making a million dollars and famous for it either. If I was, I would act like Phil does.

Its not that hard?

• Upvote 1

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Breaking! Did you gentlemen hear about Sergio apparently leaving a handwritten note in Tiger Woods' locker at Merion? How do you feel about THIS now?

Nothing. Any drama regarding public figures making apologies is always overblown.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 3967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!