IGNORED

My Swing (Slice of Life)

Slice of Life
Note: This thread is 1333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Alright, new video!

Contact is consistently solid. Not topping shots, I have an occasional fat shot, but when it's fat, it's 15 yards short instead of 100...so even that's greatly improving.

I've gotten much more used to the shortened backswing, and it's helped a lot. Still hammering in weight forward/steady head. It's getting more natural, but I still F it up every once in a while (or more...)...

I think I've reverted back to my gangly teenager follow through though...not extending the arms through the finish (Though it could be a mental timidness of fully swinging in my garage)...maybe an expert will chime in...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I gotta start hitting more greens...

I'd been averaging about 5-6 a round the past few weeks, which is good for me, but I had a bad ball striking day yesterday. Only hit 1 green. ONE!!! And it was on the first hole...3 wood middle of fairway, then a wedge to 15 feet. Part of it was just getting in trouble off the tees, and I only hit driver once or twice all day. Seemed like I was constantly scrambling, fortunately with only 1 green, I still managed 5 pars...but still gotta fix that...

Ryan M

No expert here but the length of the backswing is looking much improved. Turn looks better, I can see why contact has improved as well. I will leave it to the experts for further advice.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Hi Slice,

No expert here either, but I'm working on the steady head here. Watch the last swing on that video (down the line). Your head starts near the top right of that electrical panel (I think). Then the backswing starts and your head goes down and to the right quite a bit. I think you want your head a bit more steady. From what I've seen, the head can dip a bit on the downswing, but yours goes back up. Watch some of the head still videos on 5SK, and you might get some useful tips about head stillness. Good luck!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

agree with Randal regarding head movement. I have the same problem but not quite so drastic. Your backswing is still nearly parallel but it does not look excessive. The lighting could be improved, (stating the obvious). Looks like you have plenty of speed. I have not been following your previous videos so can not really compare. Keep it up and good luck.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Slice,

No expert here either, but I'm working on the steady head here. Watch the last swing on that video (down the line). Your head starts near the top right of that electrical panel (I think). Then the backswing starts and your head goes down and to the right quite a bit. I think you want your head a bit more steady. From what I've seen, the head can dip a bit on the downswing, but yours goes back up. Watch some of the head still videos on 5SK, and you might get some useful tips about head stillness. Good luck!

Definitely. Still trying to get the feel for it. I've been working on keeping it down, but it's still swaying.

Here's a new one with me trying to focus on keeping the head down...

Positives:

Head looks like it's staying down more

Backswing length is much closer to where I want it

Club is striking the ball first and then taking a "divot"

Weight is forward

Lag looks ok to this untrained eye

Improved garage lighting :-)

Negatives:

Head is still moving back and forth wayyyy too much...especially on the downswing

Follow through is terrible (May be due to tentativeness to fully swing in my garage)

Again, after I hit the ball, it just goes to garbage. Am I not extending enough? Do I need that "swing to right field" feel?

Ryan M

Length of that backswing is looking good as has been said by others. I'm looking to copy what you've done there in shortening my swing, hopefully making some progress next week. By the way out of curiosity what feeling do you now have on that back swing? Does it still feel like a 1/2 or 3/4 swing or not?

Henry

Looks like great progress to me, Slice!

-Followthrough looks perfectly fine- is there something specific you don't like about it? When I swing in my garage the ceiling keeps me from fully extending, even though there's plenty of room, but your extension looks good.

- You've done much better on moving the head less, but I think a tiny bit more to go.

All in all, looks pretty darned good, man.

If I were pressed to give feedback, I'd suggest (my humble opinion, as I'm UNTRAINED!!!):

- Your backswing looks a tad rushed to me, maybe think about Kenny Perry and slow it down. Or Inbee Park! Lol. I know if you exaggerate the feeling, it can help. To me, it looks like you sling it back quickly.

- Your backswing also looks like a little bit of a "C" action, where you head dips down and right a bit. I think it should be more of a coiling, with weight shifting back (not the head, of course). You look like you're in good position to HIT the ball (and you make good contact, but maybe not in the classic "coiled' position to uncoil and let a nice easy relaxed swing whip the club around.

-Looks like your first move on the backswing in slow-mo is your hands. Have you tried delaying your hands a bit, and start moving back as "one piece?"

Again, take with a grain of salt. Let's see what the experts say. Looks pretty darned good, and I bet you are hitting more consistently recently. I've lapsed a bit from golf myself, but need to get my groove back before the season ends! I'm thinking of actually getting some 5SK sessions over the winter.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Length of that backswing is looking good as has been said by others. I'm looking to copy what you've done there in shortening my swing, hopefully making some progress next week. By the way out of curiosity what feeling do you now have on that back swing? Does it still feel like a 1/2 or 3/4 swing or not?

Thanks. It doesn't even feel like a 1/2 swing. It feels more like a 1/4 swing. I just keep that feel, and it's getting easier to maintain a lower more consistent backswing. Also eliminating some shoulder irritation I've had.

Looks like great progress to me, Slice!

-Followthrough looks perfectly fine- is there something specific you don't like about it? When I swing in my garage the ceiling keeps me from fully extending, even though there's plenty of room, but your extension looks good.

- You've done much better on moving the head less, but I think a tiny bit more to go.

All in all, looks pretty darned good, man.

If I were pressed to give feedback, I'd suggest (my humble opinion, as I'm UNTRAINED!!!):

- Your backswing looks a tad rushed to me, maybe think about Kenny Perry and slow it down. Or Inbee Park! Lol. I know if you exaggerate the feeling, it can help. To me, it looks like you sling it back quickly.

- Your backswing also looks like a little bit of a "C" action, where you head dips down and right a bit. I think it should be more of a coiling, with weight shifting back (not the head, of course). You look like you're in good position to HIT the ball (and you make good contact, but maybe not in the classic "coiled' position to uncoil and let a nice easy relaxed swing whip the club around.

-Looks like your first move on the backswing in slow-mo is your hands. Have you tried delaying your hands a bit, and start moving back as "one piece?"

Again, take with a grain of salt. Let's see what the experts say. Looks pretty darned good, and I bet you are hitting more consistently recently. I've lapsed a bit from golf myself, but need to get my groove back before the season ends! I'm thinking of actually getting some 5SK sessions over the winter.

Thanks. It still just looks like I'm not extending right, but maybe it's just me?

Now on to your points:

-Yeah, it does look quick. Slowing it down sounds easy, but I feel like it might not be...as I know how these things go. Might just be something I need to exaggerate for a while.

-There's definitely a "C" Action but I'm not sure how to fix it. I'm gonna work on a couple of "feels" and go to the tape to see if anything is working.

-I definitely noticed the "hands first". It sure feels like a one piece takeaway, but again...the camera doesn't lie. Something else to work on.

Thanks for the critique/advice. I need to get back and see Erik at least once during the off season. It's just hard because I've been traveling a lot for work. Maybe he'll chime in and give some free advice. :-)

Ryan M

Personally I don't get importance of one piece takeaway. I've done drill of setting wrists totally first. Then rotate in backswing. Works ok! So why is slight hand motion a problem? Experts?

My Swing

It looks like your head rotates back away from the target in the backswing. It looks like this causes it to rotate forward a bit in the downswing, which the motion it self is a feeling of falling away from the target. I think you do this because you play the ball back in your stance. If i draw a line down the middle of your body, the ball is behind the center. Your golf ball should be just inside the center of your stance for wedges if your a person who varies the ball position and not the stance width.

I think if you get that ball more forward, feel like your a bit behind the ball more at impact, rather than in front, you'll clean up that reverse C.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

Free advice? Don't overdo a few things. Don't overdo the extension on the backswing, and don't overdo the hip slide at the expense of "getting your arms down" in sequence.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It looks like your head rotates back away from the target in the backswing. It looks like this causes it to rotate forward a bit in the downswing, which the motion it self is a feeling of falling away from the target. I think you do this because you play the ball back in your stance. If i draw a line down the middle of your body, the ball is behind the center. Your golf ball should be just inside the center of your stance for wedges if your a person who varies the ball position and not the stance width.

I think if you get that ball more forward, feel like your a bit behind the ball more at impact, rather than in front, you'll clean up that reverse C.

Hmm. I'm gonna mess with that and see what I see.

Free advice? Don't overdo a few things. Don't overdo the extension on the backswing, and don't overdo the hip slide at the expense of "getting your arms down" in sequence.

Thanks for the detailed advice. Feel free to be more vague next time. :-P

I'm not sure what you mean by "overdoing the extension on the backswing"...could you explain? After watching I can see that I may be moving the hips too far forward, but I'm not seeing anything on the backswing...

Ryan M

• 11 months later...

Haven't posted in here in almost a year, it's time to jump back in. Finally got a new phone which means I have a working video recorder again. Will be signing up for Evolvr in September.

It's time to start the drills again...

Ryan M

Haven't posted in here in almost a year, it's time to jump back in. Finally got a new phone which means I have a working video recorder again. Will be signing up for Evolvr in September.

It's time to start the drills again...

Can I just say I was waiting for that ball to come back in tag you in the sack? rofl What's up with the tiny bike in the background?

Other than that it looks like you head turns an awful lot at the end of your backswing. I don't know if that's due to having your shoulders too flat or what though, would need a DTL view probably to see.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Can I just say I was waiting for that ball to come back in tag you in the sack? rofl What's up with the tiny bike in the background?

Other than that it looks like you head turns an awful lot at the end of your backswing. I don't know if that's due to having your shoulders too flat or what though, would need a DTL view probably to see.

Ha, that's the woman's bike. The mower is mine lol. Yeah my head rotates a lot...I'm not focused on that right now. Actually not focused on much...still doing the same drills from last year since I had to take so much time off, and will join evolvr in September so I can work on stuff in the off season.

What were you hitting in to? Just curious.

The wall lol.

They're just foam balls...they've come back and hit me many times...they don't hurt.

Ryan M

Note: This thread is 1333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!