IGNORED

Brutual NE weather this week. I recently tried to take a swing with a small towel over my head.

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3929 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Without too much of a hassle. I think I might be rigging up something of the sort. Keep in the shade when you can and plenty of fluids. Stay safe. Heat stroke is not fun.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You know it's bad when you sweat buckets just talking out the trash.  I know some of TST members from the South and Southwest have it worse, but we are not used to it in New England.  My league is tonight.  I will drink one bottle on the way to the course, 2 - 3 during the round and 1-2 on the way home.  I did this last week and it helped.  I sweat a lot and get cramps unless I do this.

Funny thing is I had my best round of the year, 1 over for 9 holes last week.  Go figure.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Weather changed from cold and wet to hot and steamy. Walked 9 yesterday on a very hilly course with very little shade.  After 6 holes it was more of a survival walk and it became difficult to really concentrate.  I wore my rain gloves on due to the volume sweat.  I can at least rinse those out whereas a leather glove starts to get "crispy" after a few rounds in this weather.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Originally Posted by TJBam

Welcome to TX weather, enjoy your stay.

I'm sure you would stomp me in this weather.  Now 45F and snowing, I'll take you on there!

Scott

My Swing Thread

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJBam

Welcome to TX weather, enjoy your stay.

I'm sure you would stomp me in this weather.  Now 45F and snowing, I'll take you on there!

Not me. I'd be in the woods hunting something, not playing golf!

Tyler Martin

Look around for a Frogg Togg Chilly pad/towel. Wet it and use it around your neck and under your shirt. works a treat. I will also take a wet/very damp(not dripping wet) wash cloth or similar, and put it under my hat. keep a small cooler with some ice and water nearby to refresh both.

Originally Posted by RayG

Look around for a Frogg Togg Chilly pad/towel. Wet it and use it around your neck and under your shirt. works a treat. I will also take a wet/very damp(not dripping wet) wash cloth or similar, and put it under my hat. keep a small cooler with some ice and water nearby to refresh both.

When it's really hot, we fill a cooler with ice, water, spirit of ammonia, and a little lemon juice, then keep hand towels in it. The ice water gets the towels really cold, and the spirit of ammonia has a great cooling effect.

Tyler Martin

Thanks for the tips Gentlemen.  I've done the wet towel.  The Chilly Pad sounds interesting.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Originally Posted by RayG

Hmmm, maybe soaking the chilly pad in Ammonia would be REALLY coldish... possibly fatal, though...

Not ammonia, spirit of ammonia, which is essentially smelling salts in a solution. Perfectly fine when it's diluted.

Tyler Martin

This would be high among the reasons not many walk in Florida. A couple of other thoughts: - Loose fitting light colors are cooler. - Hats (again light colors) are better than visors. Hat hats with a decent size brim all around are better than bill caps. I like the light weight Tilley hats, but there are lots to choose from. - If you stop needing to pee, you are NOT drinking enough!

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I recommend buying a more expensive cotton shirt. They breath a lot better than artificial threads.

Also, drink a lot of water. In some cases you might need 3-4 bottles per 9 holes. I would recommend bringing in your own if your course are expensive on water.

Also, go out of your way to find shade if you are waiting to hit. If my ball is 10 yards from a tree, i will go stand underneath the shade until its my turn. It adds about 10 seconds to my shot, but its better than waiting for others to hit, and being cooked.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Cotton?  I sweat like a pig and any cotton shirt that I wear becomes saturated and is like wearing a wet towel.  I've found DriFit (or similar) fabrics to be superior....and they also breath.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Cotton?  I sweat like a pig and any cotton shirt that I wear becomes saturated and is like wearing a wet towel.  I've found DriFit (or similar) fabrics to be superior....and they also breath.

I'll agree with that. Playing in Florida in August and Myrtle Beach in June, cotton Izod type shirts turned into bath towels. The DryFit or similar shirts were much cooler and lighter. I will say that they work better if you leave them tucked in. They're meant to wick moisture off your skin. If they're flapping about, they aren't working as well. You can pick them up (PGA branded) on sale at Kohl;s or Penney's for 20-25 bucks on sale. Even the PGA branded shorts that go with them will wick off as well, so you aren't walking around in soggy shorts.

Note: This thread is 3929 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!