IGNORED

"Gimme" putts in league play.

TJBam
Note: This thread is 3934 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Sure.  As long as the rules don't mean anything, why not screw up the rim of the hole while you're at it?  Some people are just clueless.

When I played a Men's Club match at my home (public) course and we got paired up with a single or pair of casual golfers, we also warned them that we were playing by the rules.  In our case it was actually true.  Since the rules don't make any mention of "leather", gimme putts had to actually be conceded per the rules of match play.   (In fact, to agree to waive a rule like those 2 did with that "inside the leather" stuff is a disqualification penalty if you are actually playing by the rules)

Ha, you don't notice Adam Scott laying out his long putter to measure Tiger's gimmes?  Happens all the time man.

Originally Posted by Nutter

Quote:

Sure.  As long as the rules don't mean anything, why not screw up the rim of the hole while you're at it?  Some people are just clueless.

When I played a Men's Club match at my home (public) course and we got paired up with a single or pair of casual golfers, we also warned them that we were playing by the rules.  In our case it was actually true.  Since the rules don't make any mention of "leather", gimme putts had to actually be conceded per the rules of match play.   (In fact, to agree to waive a rule like those 2 did with that "inside the leather" stuff is a disqualification penalty if you are actually playing by the rules)

Ha, you don't notice Adam Scott laying out his long putter to measure Tiger's gimmes?  Happens all the time man.

Not in the crowd I run in.  They don't always play everything purely by the rules (read dropping illegally for a lost ball on a busy day instead of going back to the tee), but I it's literally 20 years or more since I saw anyone stick his putter in the hole to measure a "gimme".

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My League is stroke play and I always putt out.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Venting here.  I am not in said league, but my partner and I on Sunday morning were paired up with two 20-21 HCPers who told us off the bat that they were playing a league game and that they'd be playing strictly by the rules.  My bud and I said no problem, we also play it by the book. So we get to the first green and lo and behold, a putter head is sunk into the hole, stretched out, and I hear "inside the leather?"  "yeah bud that's good."  My partner and I look at each other in disbelief as this guy takes almost a 3 foot "gimme" for bogey.  Keep in mind the putter is pretty dang long. The round gets more interesting as these two get neck-and-neck near the 17th. The round gets even more interesting as we realize that not only are they playing "inside the leather" but one of the guys' putters is giving him at least a foot more "gimme" room than the other. I brought this up as they were measuring a gimme putt (which takes more time than just sinking it in the first place.)  When shorter-putter guy ended up 1" short of a gimme, I suggested he uses his partner's putter to measure the gimme so he could pick up.  The gentlemen were not entertained. My partner mentioned to one of the guys that he'd like more information on the league.  I deadpanned to my bud "Pal you might want to get a belly putter before you join that league."  The men were again not entertained but I laughed myself off the green after shaking hands. End rant.

Great post, laughed reading this lol. Reminds me of a random single they threw with our threesome last year that was giving himself putts 3-5ft away and after writing on his scorecard he'd pump himself up by going "atta boy! Machine!" Hahahahha

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

When I took up golf a couple of years ago, a buddy of mine took it upon himself to be my mentor for getting back into golf.  In the first round we played, he conceded a putt to me - but I told him I'd just go ahead and putt it out.

He told me - "You'll learn to take those."  I had to inquire why I would learn to do so.  He said because it makes your score better.  I think most folks at least think of gimmies as putts they would have made anyway.  But he was openly admitting that it is a good idea to just skip putting if you might miss it.

He has many creative ways to score golf.

Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey

When I took up golf a couple of years ago, a buddy of mine took it upon himself to be my mentor for getting back into golf.  In the first round we played, he conceded a putt to me - but I told him I'd just go ahead and putt it out.

He told me - "You'll learn to take those."  I had to inquire why I would learn to do so.  He said because it makes your score better.  I think most folks at least think of gimmies as putts they would have made anyway.  But he was openly admitting that it is a good idea to just skip putting if you might miss it.

This one made me chuckle.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

If theyre playing, "strictly by the rules"; then every putt should be holed out with no gimmies allowed.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

If theyre playing, "strictly by the rules"; then every putt should be holed out with no gimmies allowed.

Open and shut case Johnson.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey

Hey, at least he was honest about it and didn't you some crap about pace of play.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Not in the crowd I run in.  They don't always play everything purely by the rules (read dropping illegally for a lost ball on a busy day instead of going back to the tee), but I it's literally 20 years or more since I saw anyone stick his putter in the hole to measure a "gimme".

I have not been playing long and I have never seen anyone do that.  I thought it was the thing of movies, but lo and behold, one grown man with his putter lodged into the hole, stretching out to his ball and disfiguring the hole, while the other one stands over him approvingly supervising.  They both played mallets of course to make matters worse.

I was waiting for the Golf Channel to pop out of the woods like me and my partner were about to get "punk'd."

Let me add that guest fees for this course are approx $95 prime time Sunday mornings and $45 for twilight.  Not exactly a goat trail.

Originally Posted by TJBam

I have not been playing long and I have never seen anyone do that.  I thought it was the thing of movies, but lo and behold, one grown man with his putter lodged into the hole, stretching out to his ball and disfiguring the hole, while the other one stands over him approvingly supervising.  They both played mallets of course to make matters worse.

I was waiting for the Golf Channel to pop out of the woods like me and my partner were about to get "punk'd."

Let me add that guest fees for this course are approx $95 prime time Sunday mornings and $45 for twilight.  Not exactly a goat trail.

I've been playing golf for nigh onto 45 years and I have seen the same and version of it ever since I started playing golf.  Only once have I seen anything close to it in a league.  The regulars in the league had a colored tape band around the shaft of their putters at something like 18" or 20"...don't remember which.  But, they measured same way.  Head of putter in the hole and then if the ball was inside the tape mark...it was a gimmee and pick it up.  I played as a guest with them once.  But, other than that, never seen it in a league, tournament club, or anything that was not your typical Saturday round with the guys playing for nominal stuff.  My Saturday group is pretty generous at giving putts.  We do not play for much at all, mostly who is buying drinks.  Most everything else is played by the rules.  I really don't take my Saturday morning rounds with them very seriously.  For me, it is more like practice.

I might add, basically our Saturday morning stuff is playing for skins, played more like a match.  And, in match play, you can give putts.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Really anytime me or m regular group of golf buddies play we don't give any gimmies over a foot. Out of habit I still like to putt out...

My league plays match play, so "gimmies" are handed out at the discretion of the opponent. I've conceded 4' puts to guys when I can 2 putt for the win anyways...but more often the putts I concede are inside 2'.

R7

Edge 3-SW with Apex4 Steel shafts

Burner 2.0 AW

Putter

Street Shoes

Glove

Originally Posted by mvarley84

My league plays match play, so "gimmies" are handed out at the discretion of the opponent. I've conceded 4' puts to guys when I can 2 putt for the win anyways...but more often the putts I concede are inside 2'.

likewise.  my league is pretty laid back (you can fluff up a bad lie, etc), but i've found 2' and in to be the norm for gimmes.  only time i wouldn't concede a putt within that range is if it's for par or better.  ( though i've conceded longer if the guy already has a snowman and we want to speed things up a bit.)

-- In the Bag --

Cobra S3 White Driver (10.5*)

Cobra AMP Cell-S 3-Hybrid (18*)

Cobra AMP Cell-S Irons (4i-GW)

SCOR 4161 Forged Wedge (55*)

Cleveland VP1 Putter

Note: This thread is 3934 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!