IGNORED

Etiquette: Having lunch after 9

David-Dj Bryant
Note: This thread is 3599 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not saying I haven't used the "natural facilities", but there are a couple of issues with it. One, public urination is illegal. Two, not very convenient when there are women sprinkled in the surrounding groups on a wide open course. Most courses in my area have plenty of convenient places to hide. Not so on the muni that I am talking about.

I have an interesting take on this following my experience playin gat the Bangalore Golf Club in southern India ... I was matched up with 2 local players and the custom is that you take a break after 9 holes for lunch or a snack, depending on the time of day. However this is more than a snack bar stop, this is an opportunity to catch up with friends, network & so on. The 10th tee is worryingly close to the dining area (think 1st tee at Merion East Course!) and you siomply re-start your round at an appropriate time. It was all very relaxed. As an aside, Bangalore Golf Club provided a wonderful experience & welcome, I recommend their hospitality & course highly!

It all depends.

Weekends on the busy munis I play, it's a sprint to the bathroom, a sprint to the concession, a sprint to 10th tee, you hit the drive and wolf down the hot dog on the way to your second shot.

If you get the chance to play on a weekday, some courses will be so dead it won't matter. You could take a hour and a half and just pop on the 10th with no issue.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nope, never take a long break period. If you want to hit up the bar after the round, go ahead. During the round get your quick to go stuff and back on the course.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

It all depends.

Weekends on the busy munis I play, it's a sprint to the bathroom, a sprint to the concession, a sprint to 10th tee, you hit the drive and wolf down the hot dog on the way to your second shot.

If you get the chance to play on a weekday, some courses will be so dead it won't matter. You could take a hour and a half and just pop on the 10th with no issue.

Last weekend there was a foursome complaining that they couldn't get back out because they went into the clubhouse to get 6 beers each in little to-go coolers and they each got hot dogs. They came back out to realize people were turning without waiting on them and they were going ballistic about it. The GM finally said, in front of everyone inside, "Listen, you can either sit down and eat and wait until you're able to seamlessly re-enter the flow of play, or you're welcome to leave and I'll rain check you 9 holes". The group was 3 groups ahead of us and this "scene" unfolded when we got into the clubhouse so I can only assume that they were inside for at least 20 minutes. You just can't and shouldn't do that on the weekend and expect to not mess things up for others, or yourself.

Grab a damn hot dog and a drink and go, as @mcanadiens said. +1 :beer:

• Upvote 1

Last weekend there was a foursome complaining that they couldn't get back out because they went into the clubhouse to get 6 beers each in little to-go coolers and they each got hot dogs. They came back out to realize people were turning without waiting on them and they were going ballistic about it. The GM finally said, in front of everyone inside, "Listen, you can either sit down and eat and wait until you're able to seamlessly re-enter the flow of play, or you're welcome to leave and I'll rain check you 9 holes". The group was 3 groups ahead of us and this "scene" unfolded when we got into the clubhouse so I can only assume that they were inside for at least 20 minutes. You just can't and shouldn't do that on the weekend and expect to not mess things up for others, or yourself.

Grab a damn hot dog and a drink and go, as @mcanadiens said. +1

To me it would depend on whether or not they sat down to eat their hot dogs and to drink their beers or were they purchasing them to consume out on the course.

If they were going to sit down and eat then they should have to wait until they could re-enter the flow of play seamlessly.

BUT if they were merely buying the beers and hot dogs then how is that any different from all the previous comments about going in to buy a beer and hot dog and then continuing on the round .... as @mcanadiens stated and was quoted " Grab a damn hot dog and a drink and go". Seems to me that is exactly what they were trying to do.

IMHO if it took 20 MINS to get 24 beers and 4 hot dogs then it is not the golfer's fault rather it is a clubhouse operations issue and the general manager should have address his staff issues and it is not the golfer's fault at all.

24 beers and 4 hot dogs is a good sale for the golf course. Any GM should be welcoming client's like that.

At our club we have a separate area for food and drink purchases at the turn also during the busy summer months a second food (bbq) area is put right next to the 9th green to speed things up (I actually think it is very cleaver marketing to be grilling onions which can be smelled all the way up the 9th fairway.)

To me it would depend on whether or not they sat down to eat their hot dogs and to drink their beers or were they purchasing them to consume out on the course.

If they were going to sit down and eat then they should have to wait until they could re-enter the flow of play seamlessly.

BUT if they were merely buying the beers and hot dogs then how is that any different from all the previous comments about going in to buy a beer and hot dog and then continuing on the round .... as @mcanadiens stated and was quoted "Grab a damn hot dog and a drink and go". Seems to me that is exactly what they were trying to do.

IMHO if it took 20 MINS to get 24 beers and 4 hot dogs then it is not the golfer's fault rather it is a clubhouse operations issue and the general manager should have address his staff issues and it is not the golfer's fault at all.

24 beers and 4 hot dogs is a good sale for the golf course. Any GM should be welcoming client's like that.

At our club we have a separate area for food and drink purchases at the turn also during the busy summer months a second food (bbq) area is put right next to the 9th green to speed things up (I actually think it is very cleaver marketing to be grilling onions which can be smelled all the way up the 9th fairway.)

You could definitely be right, I don't know the details since I walked in and grabbed a beer and a dog and walked right back out.

It's not the matter of discussion or the point here either, but on a side note I strongly disagree with pounding 6 beers on the last 9. 4 guys drinking 6 beers each is probably not a great recipe for "pace of play" and the atmosphere you want around your course. Sure, it's a great sale. But, these guys drive off of that course and smash into someone because they had 6-10 beers on your course and that's a problem in my opinion. I wouldn't necessarily be too receptive to their repeat business from the few minutes I experienced around that guy and his tone and demeanor.

My point is, this could go both ways. They're great customers in terms of revenue, but there's certainly the potential for some problems to arise when you have guys saucing up on your course.

Haven't been to a course in years that doesn't have call ahead service for people wanting food at the turn. At the home course it flashes on the GPS on the 8th tee and there is a call box there. Push a button and you are talking to the restaurant or pro shop. Other courses have signs on the course just before the 9th tee. Really no reason to stand in a line waiting for food or whatever.

Dave :-)

I'm surprised anyone can afford clubhouse food, it's as bad as a movie theater.  When I got the hot dog and Gatorade a couple weeks ago... $8.  First and last time I'm getting burned like that.

Haven't been to a course in years that doesn't have call ahead service for people wanting food at the turn. At the home course it flashes on the GPS on the 8th tee and there is a call box there. Push a button and you are talking to the restaurant or pro shop. Other courses have signs on the course just before the 9th tee. Really no reason to stand in a line waiting for food or whatever.

This particular course was fairly cheap in terms of rates ($37 for 18 on Saturday at 8 AM) and the carts had no GPS. Courses around here that incorporate GPS in the carts with that service typically run around $55 (or much more) for 18.

Suppose it depends where you live. The on course signs with the phone number for the grill are pretty much at every course I play. I rarely eat at the course but I see people running in to grabbed a boxed meal all the time. Most will let you run a tab if you are comfortable leaving a credit card with them. I do it just to speed up my transactions. If the cart comes along and I need something they hand it over and I close my tab when I finish. Though both courses I play most have coolers on the carts. I buy everything I need at one time.

Dave :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ay33660

BUT if they were merely buying the beers and hot dogs then how is that any different from all the previous comments about going in to buy a beer and hot dog and then continuing on the round .... as @mcanadiens stated and was quoted "Grab a damn hot dog and a drink and go". Seems to me that is exactly what they were trying to do.

You could definitely be right, I don't know the details since I walked in and grabbed a beer and a dog and walked right back out.

It's not the matter of discussion or the point here either, but on a side note I strongly disagree with pounding 6 beers on the last 9. 4 guys drinking 6 beers each is probably not a great recipe for "pace of play" and the atmosphere you want around your course. Sure, it's a great sale. But, these guys drive off of that course and smash into someone because they had 6-10 beers on your course and that's a problem in my opinion. I wouldn't necessarily be too receptive to their repeat business from the few minutes I experienced around that guy and his tone and demeanor.

My point is, this could go both ways. They're great customers in terms of revenue, but there's certainly the potential for some problems to arise when you have guys saucing up on your course.

My home course has a snack bar that is located right on the way from the 9th green to the 10th tee.  You can stop and grab a hot dog or sandwich and something to drink and still get to the 10th tee by the time the fairway is clear.  We often just send two people to the snack bar to fetch any desired refreshments while the other two go hit if the fairway is open, rather than all four standing in line to buy one at a time.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Stopping at 9 for drinks and food and expecting people to wait for you is ridiculous! Stopping at 9 and then expecting to muscle ya way back in is also ridiculous! Jeez! No wonder there's pace problems in some courses! I wouldn't even contemplate it! I prepare my own snacks and drinks before I tee off! On a rare occasion I have ordered food on the 7th hole, and collected between 9 & 10, causing no problems to anyone! We need to stamp this inconsiderate behaviour out of the game before concentrating on attracting new players or everyone will think golf is an all day picnic and beer event!

Gaz Lee

Our group most always finishes the round and then goes in to eat. If someone wants a cold drink or snack at the turn the rest of the group goes on to the 10th tee to hold their position on the course. The group then tees off when it's their time. If the player in the grill isn't ready he just catches up to the group (I've never had this happen). You stop and eat a meal at the turn you forfeit your position on the course.

I play twice a weekend morning rounds with a foursome and we almost always stop to get hot dogs and drinks. Sure, sometimes someone wants a breakfast sandwich or something and it takes a little longer but still we never had an issue. Sit down lunch is a little much to expect though. If it takes us 5 to 7 minutes at the turn and we can't get back in our spot then maybe the course shouldn't pack them in so tight and I am sure at that point pace has already been a problem. And I chuckled at the thought of a starter keeping me from making the turn. How are you going to stop me, stand in front of me while I tee off?

James

I play twice a weekend morning rounds with a foursome and we almost always stop to get hot dogs and drinks. Sure, sometimes someone wants a breakfast sandwich or something and it takes a little longer but still we never had an issue. Sit down lunch is a little much to expect though. If it takes us 5 to 7 minutes at the turn and we can't get back in our spot then maybe the course shouldn't pack them in so tight and I am sure at that point pace has already been a problem. And I chuckled at the thought of a starter keeping me from making the turn. How are you going to stop me, stand in front of me while I tee off?

You have that little respect for the course employees?  I guarantee you that if you took long enough to lose your place when I was working the shack, you wouldn't get back on until there was an opening.   If you made any threats, the sheriff was just a phone call away.  It wouldn't be the first time they were called to resolve such a situation.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

You have that little respect for the course employees?  I guarantee you that if you took long enough to lose your place when I was working the shack, you wouldn't get back on until there was an opening.   If you made any threats, the sheriff was just a phone call away.  It wouldn't be the first time they were called to resolve such a situation.

Yeah why would I let a golf course employee push me around. Contrary to what some starters may think I am a paying customer and if you don't want me at your course then you can give me a full refund and the course can lose more revenue. If you fight me on that I will leave and have my bank reverse the charges so fast it will make your head spin. Another course will get my money. A lot of starters I have interacted with seem to be power hungry for stupid little things because they think they can. For instance a couple of weeks ago I was at a course I play all the time and the starter was the slowest human being I have ever seen. He was taking tickets and writing down carts numbers like it was the first time he had ever read and wrote and I loaded my cart and he told me to take a different cart. I told him my cart was loaded already and he said he should make me switch. I simply explained I doubt that's a conversation he wants to go have with the course manager so I would suggest he change the cart number on his sheet and we move along. He decided to go with my idea. As far your statement you sound like the aggressive one. If I took 10 or 15 minutes, especially because of slow service at the turn, I would not need any threats. I would simply go tee off 10 and laugh at you getting angry and drive off. The ball would be in your court. You can decide to let it go or get aggressive. If you choose the former we go along with our day and maybe you are pissed off for a little while. If you choose the latter and come at me then I have every right to defend myself and you can call the sheriff anytime you want. I am a grownup paying $50 to $60 to hit a ball off of your grass. I am not a child in school.

James

Yeah why would I let a golf course employee push me around. Contrary to what some starters may think I am a paying customer and if you don't want me at your course then you can give me a full refund and the course can lose more revenue. If you fight me on that I will leave and have my bank reverse the charges so fast it will make your head spin. Another course will get my money. A lot of starters I have interacted with seem to be power hungry for stupid little things because they think they can. For instance a couple of weeks ago I was at a course I play all the time and the starter was the slowest human being I have ever seen. He was taking tickets and writing down carts numbers like it was the first time he had ever read and wrote and I loaded my cart and he told me to take a different cart. I told him my cart was loaded already and he said he should make me switch. I simply explained I doubt that's a conversation he wants to go have with the course manager so I would suggest he change the cart number on his sheet and we move along. He decided to go with my idea. As far your statement you sound like the aggressive one. If I took 10 or 15 minutes, especially because of slow service at the turn, I would not need any threats. I would simply go tee off 10 and laugh at you getting angry and drive off. The ball would be in your court. You can decide to let it go or get aggressive. If you choose the former we go along with our day and maybe you are pissed off for a little while. If you choose the latter and come at me then I have every right to defend myself and you can call the sheriff anytime you want. I am a grownup paying $50 to $60 to hit a ball off of your grass. I am not a child in school.

If you take 15 minutes in the grill do you actually think you keep your place on the course? By that time the following group is probably on the 10th tee and you'll be arguing with more than the starter. Call your order in ahead of time or wait until you finish your round to eat.

Note: This thread is 3599 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!