IGNORED

Forum Profile Handicap Indices....

David in FL
Note: This thread is 1190 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What's the difference?

I know how to calculate handicap. How do you come up with the index number?

Your handicap index is the number, rounded to the 10th, that you get from GHIN or whatever handicap service you use twice each month.  Your course handicap is calculated from the index and varies from course to course based on the slope of each course.

Because the handicap index is the constant (between revisions), while the course handicap varies depending of where you play, the index is what should be shown.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[QUOTE name="RFKFREAK" url="/t/68730/forum-profile-handicaps/504#post_935816"] What's the difference? I know how to calculate handicap. How do you come up with the index number?[/QUOTE] Your handicap index is the number, rounded to the 10th, that you get from GHIN or whatever handicap service you use twice each month.  Your course handicap is calculated from the index and varies from course to course based on the slope of each course. Because the handicap index is the constant (between revisions), while the course handicap varies depending of where you play, the index is what should be shown.

Oh, then I know how to calculate the index. How do you calculate your course handicap?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• Administrator

What's the difference?

I know how to calculate handicap. How do you come up with the index number?

If you know how to calculate your handicap, you have to use the index to do it, so…

The difference is that the index is yours. The handicap itself changes depending on the tees or course you play.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Oh, then I know how to calculate the index. How do you calculate your course handicap?

Multiply your index by the slope of the course/tees that you're playing, and divide by 113.  Round to the nearest whole number.

For example:

-  My index is 5.5 and I'm playing a course with a slope of 128......  5.5 x 128 / 113 = 6.23.  My course handicap is 6.

-  Your index is 32.0 and we're playing the same course/tees....  32.0 x 128 / 113 = 36.24.  Your course handicap is 36.

When playing a handicapped event, or just against your buddy using handicaps, you give/receive strokes based on the difference in your individual course handicaps, not based on the difference in your indexes.  That means in the above example, you would get 30 strokes from me, not 26.

So watch those low handicap rat-bastards, because on the first tee box I would.......I mean they would ;-) offer you 26 for the difference in the indexes and you'd be at a 4 stroke disadvantage from the start.

In David's bag....

[QUOTE name="RFKFREAK" url="/t/68730/forum-profile-handicaps/522#post_935822"] Oh, then I know how to calculate the index. How do you calculate your course handicap?[/QUOTE] Multiply your index by the slope of the course/tees that you're playing, and divide by 113.  Round to the nearest whole number. For example: -  My index is 5.5 and I'm playing a course with a slope of 128......  5.5 x 128 / 113 = 6.23.  My course handicap is 6. -  Your index is 32.0 and we're playing the same course/tees....  32.0 x 128 / 113 = 36.24.  Your course handicap is 36. When playing a handicapped event, or just against your buddy using handicaps, you give/receive strokes based on the difference in your individual course handicaps, not based on the difference in your indexes.  That means in the above example, you would get 30 strokes from me, not 26. So watch those low handicap rat-bastards, because on the first tee box I would.......I mean they would ;-)   offer you 26 for the difference in the indexes and you'd be at a 4 stroke disadvantage from the start.

Haha, I always thought the number of strokes you'd get is the difference between the handicaps. Thanks for dropping some knowledge on me! :)

• Upvote 1

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• 2 weeks later...

18.9 and dropping fast.    I've got my swing back and back to playing high 80 & low 90 scores, with occasional foray into low 80s.   I expect my HI to fall to 17 by next update.

Barely made to 17s (17.9).

May go even lower b/c ... for reasons I can't explain, I was treating most lateral hazards in my course as OB.  I was having too many triples and quads which could have been doubles and triples, respectively.   Making a mental note that I need to check the colors of those sticks carefully.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Well back up to 5.4, I lost a 2.9 entry this revision and couldn't keep it up. Going to go out today and see if I can get something low, I'm playing with a good friend of mine that I always seem to score good with, let's see if it works this time and it's supposed to reach 70 today in N CA and that always helps me I always play my best during the summer which is true amongst most of us. I don't expect the fall off I had last year when I injured my ankle.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Barely made to 17s (17.9).

May go even lower b/c ... for reasons I can't explain, I was treating most lateral hazards in my course as OB.  I was having too many triples and quads which could have been doubles and triples, respectively.   Making a mental note that I need to check the colors of those sticks carefully.

Yep that will definitely make a difference, I mean you can do that I believe it's just your losing your distance.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

No change here.  Did realize, though, that I'm pretty sure I could easily knock a stroke, or even two, off of my handicap by doing nothing but moving back a set of tees.

I played a new course Monday, one I may never get to play again, and my friend and I decided to play the "gold" tees, which were 6,794 yards, 73.4, and 137.  I shot a mediocre 88, and that returned a 12 differential.  The thing is, the shots that cost me had absolutely no correlation to the extra distance.  It's not like I was struggling to hit greens because I was hitting a 7 iron instead of a 9 iron.  I was missing fairways with drivers and 3 woods, just like I do with any distance.  Had we played our blue tees (6,419, 72.0, 132) there is a fine chance I still would have shot an 87 or 88.

Anyways, while my scores aren't quite showing any improvement, I (yeah, I say this a lot) feel like I am improving.  :)

Anyways, while my scores aren't quite showing any improvement, I (yeah, I say this a lot) feel like I am improving.  :)

Feel isn't real . ;-)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Tyler Martin

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Feel isn't real.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

In that case, I feel like a scratch golfer going through a lifelong slump.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Mine's creeping up, as expected. I was a 4.9, now a 5.3. After I post a couple more rounds it's gonna be around a 6 or 7.

I hadn't posted hardly any scores in 2013...mainly cuz I didn't play much (duh). But I've started playing a lot more & there's rust in my game. And I had a couple of 71s from 2012 that were still being counted, since they were in my last 20 scores.

I just log them in Yahoo. Here's my last 20:

Yahoo Handicap Rating is 5.3
Click score to edit/view details. last updated Jan 12, 2014
Course Score Date
Crandon Park Golf Course 82 Jan 12, 2014
Crandon Park Golf Course 81 * Jan 1, 2014
Crandon Park Golf Course 82 Dec 25, 2013
Crandon Park Golf Course 86 Dec 24, 2013
Crandon Park Golf Course 84 Dec 18, 2013
Crandon Park Golf Course 83 Dec 16, 2013
Crandon Park Golf Course 83 Dec 15, 2013
Crandon Park White tees 81 * Nov 26, 2013
Crandon Park White tees 86 Nov 25, 2013
Streamsong Red 81 * Jan 26, 2013
Winter Park CC 34 * Dec 25, 2012
Casselberry Golf Club 73 * Sep 15, 2012
Dubsdread Golf Course 77 * Sep 12, 2012
Dubsdread Golf Course 81 Aug 22, 2012
Bella Collina CC 72 * Aug 18, 2012
Dubsdread Golf Course 81 Aug 17, 2012
Grand Cypress Resort - North/South 82 * Jul 4, 2012
Dubsdread Golf Course 80 Jun 13, 2012
Magnolia Plantation 75 * Jun 5, 2012
Casselberry Golf Club 71 * Apr 11, 2012
Casselberry Golf Club 71 Apr 4, 2012

5.5, up a tenth.

More telling though is that my stroke average has climbed to 80.4 for my last 20 rounds.  In a bit of a funk.....

In David's bag....

Well back up to 5.4, I lost a 2.9 entry this revision and couldn't keep it up. Going to go out today and see if I can get something low, I'm playing with a good friend of mine that I always seem to score good with, let's see if it works this time and it's supposed to reach 70 today in N CA and that always helps me I always play my best during the summer which is true amongst most of us. I don't expect the fall off I had last year when I injured my ankle.

I'm probably going to lose a couple more tenths before this turns around, just having a slump.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

Mine's creeping up, as expected. I was a 4.9, now a 5.3. After I post a couple more rounds it's gonna be around a 6 or 7.

I hadn't posted hardly any scores in 2013...mainly cuz I didn't play much (duh). But I've started playing a lot more & there's rust in my game. And I had a couple of 71s from 2012 that were still being counted, since they were in my last 20 scores.

I just log them in Yahoo. Here's my last 20:

Yahoo Handicap Rating is

Click score to edit/view details.

last updated Jan 12, 2014

Course

Score

Date

Crandon Park Golf Course

Jan 12, 2014

Crandon Park Golf Course

81*

Jan 1, 2014

Crandon Park Golf Course

Dec 25, 2013

Crandon Park Golf Course

Dec 24, 2013

Crandon Park Golf Course

Dec 18, 2013

Crandon Park Golf Course

Dec 16, 2013

Crandon Park Golf Course

Dec 15, 2013

Crandon Park White tees

81*

Nov 26, 2013

Crandon Park White tees

Nov 25, 2013

Streamsong Red

81*

Jan 26, 2013

Winter Park CC

34*

Dec 25, 2012

Casselberry Golf Club

73*

Sep 15, 2012

Dubsdread Golf Course

77*

Sep 12, 2012

Dubsdread Golf Course

Aug 22, 2012

Bella Collina CC

72*

Aug 18, 2012

Dubsdread Golf Course

Aug 17, 2012

Grand Cypress Resort - North/South

82*

Jul 4, 2012

Dubsdread Golf Course

Jun 13, 2012

Magnolia Plantation

75*

Jun 5, 2012

Casselberry Golf Club

71*

Apr 11, 2012

Casselberry Golf Club

Apr 4, 2012

Does the HC go up because of the gators?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I think it should!

How would you like to have this lie? -

I would just keep walking to the next hole.. not losing a hand or leg for a stupid game of golf :)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Note: This thread is 1190 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!