IGNORED

Forum Profile Handicap Indices....

David in FL
Note: This thread is 1182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Question: since handicap is about "potential," if you shoot like an 82 on a difficult rating, two 86's on a medium rating, and then you have a smattering of low 90's and like, say 5 rounds at like 101 (completely hypothetical and not my scores), would you still have a lowish handicap? Or what if you had like 2 rounds in the 70's but the rest in the mid 90's? Would you be in the single digits for awhile?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Question: since handicap is about "potential," if you shoot like an 82 on a difficult rating, two 86's on a medium rating, and then you have a smattering of low 90's and like, say 5 rounds at like 101 (completely hypothetical and not my scores), would you still have a lowish handicap?

Or what if you had like 2 rounds in the 70's but the rest in the mid 90's? Would you be in the single digits for awhile?

It's an average of the 10 lowest of last 20 scores. So if you had 2 70's and all the rest 90's you wouldn't be in the single digits. My low 10 scores range from 16.6 to 21.7 which averaged out to 18.1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

It's an average of the 10 lowest of last 20 scores. So if you had 2 70's and all the rest 90's you wouldn't be in the single digits. My low 10 scores range from 16.6 to 21.7 which averaged out to 18.1

There's more to it than even that.......   your comment got me thinking so I played around with my GHIN index numbers.

My 10 scores that count:  If I add these 10 index numbers, the total comes to 27.5/10= 2.75 index, but this isn't my index...it's 2.6.  A HC index is definitely not an average of your 10 best out of 20.  Some scores carry more weight than others.

It's definitely not taking your low and high index and averaging them out either.  If the math works out this way, it's by pure coincidence and luck.  Do you carry an official GHIN, or do you have one of those freebie internet ones that guestimate?

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

There's more to it than even that.......   your comment got me thinking so I played around with my GHIN index numbers.

My 10 scores that count:  If I add these 10 index numbers, the total comes to 27.5/10= 2.75 index, but this isn't my index...it's 2.6.  A HC index is definitely not an average of your 10 best out of 20.

It's definitely not taking your low and high index and averaging them out either.  If the math works out this way, it's by pure coincidence and luck.  Do you carry an official GHIN hc, or do you have one of those freebie internet ones that guestimate?

I have an official one through myscorecard.com, and to be honest I didn't calculate it out either. I just just lazily assumed it was the average because I had heard that before. :8)

Which is obviously wrong because when I did add them and get the average it was 20.98 for me. So, that being said, obviously I was wrong. My apologies for the incorrect information.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Exactly. I've been shooting low 90's on my bad days and mid 80's on my decent days, but I had a couple of huge outliers way above low 90's that the GHIN seemed to completely ignore. I shot an 84 and it was an adjusted 9 and apparently the handicap program really weighted that number along with a few other lower scores and basically ignored these horrible rounds.

Exactly. I've been shooting low 90's on my bad days and mid 80's on my decent days, but I had a couple of huge outliers way above low 90's that the GHIN seemed to completely ignore. I shot an 84 and it was an adjusted 9 and apparently the handicap program really weighted that number along with a few other lower scores and basically ignored these horrible rounds.

The system weighs low rounds more than high rounds, which is where the "potential" comes in I assume.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut View Post

My 10 scores that count:  If I add these 10 index numbers, the total comes to 27.5/10= 2.75 index, but this isn't my index...it's 2.6.  A HC index is definitely not an average of your 10 best out of 20.  Some scores carry more weight than others.

It's definitely not taking your low and high index and averaging them out either.  If the math works out this way, it's by pure coincidence and luck.  Do you carry an official GHIN, or do you have one of those freebie internet ones that guestimate?

27.5 * 0.96 / 10 = 2.6(4)

So yeah, it's the average of your 10 differentials… multiplied by 0.96.

Quote:
Potential ability is defined by the term Handicap Index and is measured through a calculation using the player's best scores. These best scores are determined by calculating the Handicap Differential for each score. The Handicap Index is calculated by taking 96 percent of the average of the best Handicap Differential(s) , and applying Section 10-3 for players with two or more eligible tournament scores .

http://usga.org/Rule-Books/Handicap-System-Manual/Rule-10/

If you have tournament scores that last part of the last sentence is relevant.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

27.5 * 0.96 / 10 = 2.6(4)

So yeah, it's the average of your 10 differentials… multiplied by 0.96.

http://usga.org/Rule-Books/Handicap-System-Manual/Rule-10/

If you have tournament scores that last part of the last sentence is relevant.

Ah, I was just missing the .96 part.. Thanks for the help. This does make it come out to 18.1536 which I guess rounds down to 18.1? I would have thought it rounded up to 18.2.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Up 0.2 strokes, to 18.8.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Golf is supposed to be a game of honor and skill. I found It is anything but that. I find gamesmanship raises its ugly head and takes over from someone who is lacking in skill or jealous or both. Usually he is so far down that they have to resort to something other than skill to try and compensate for the lack there of.

I maintain a handicap and I do play in a lot of charity tournaments.... I NEVER declare one though. That is just marking yourself as a sitting duck. We have a style that is pretty good. It works out this way:  If no declared handicap then you get assigned a 20 handicap. It is decreased one stroke for every birdey you get,  THEN they figure out your handicap from there. Then your gross score is posted. It is infinitely more fair.

I lost a tournament one time with play that was within 1 stroke of my handicap to a player that "sand bagged" with a score that was 15 strokes less than his declared handicap. Never again....talk about feeling like a tool....Oh well, it was for a good cause.

Of course he was the "lawyer" in the group, along with a bartender and a used car sales salesman and his boss the used car lot manager,  for a large dealership in town. Im not saying anything, but if the proverbial shoe fits, then.............(Well, you know what to do.)

Golf is supposed to be a game of honor and skill. I found It is anything but that. I find gamesmanship raises its ugly head and takes over from someone who is lacking in skill or jealous or both. Usually he is so far down that they have to resort to something other than skill to try and compensate for the lack there of. I maintain a handicap and I do play in a lot of charity tournaments.... I NEVER declare one though. That is just marking yourself as a sitting duck. We have a style that is pretty good. It works out this way:  If no declared handicap then you get assigned a 20 handicap. It is decreased one stroke for every birdey you get,  THEN they figure out your handicap from there. Then your gross score is posted. It is infinitely more fair. I lost a tournament one time with play that was within 1 stroke of my handicap to a player that "sand bagged" with a score that was 15 strokes less than his declared handicap. Never again....talk about feeling like a tool....Oh well, it was for a good cause. Of course he was the "lawyer" in the group, along with a bartender and a used car sales salesman and his boss the used car lot manager,  for a large dealership in town. Im not saying anything, but if the proverbial shoe fits, then.............(Well, you know what to do.)

Haha how did you manage to put so many over generalizations and so many bad points into one post? ;) I don't think your proposed tournament thing is anywhere close to fair or accurate. I am also an attorney and the most ethical person you will ever meet. Just ask any of my former clients.

• Administrator

Golf is supposed to be a game of honor and skill.

I maintain a handicap and I do play in a lot of charity tournaments.... I NEVER declare one though.

So much for that.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not surprising at all on the amateur level.

If that was a 'personal shot' at my integrity, then you have taken my comment out of context. A true example of the "association fallacy".

Please finish the ENTIRE statement if you are going to use the "quote" mechanism in english grammar. It can be construed as disingenuous otherwise.

DiabloGolf is an internet HI app.  And it's an official USGA HI, that is the USGA has given DiabloGolf the right to issue official HI.  Why would the app make a guesstimate?  It's a simple calculation.

August 1 handicap: 14.4, personal best so far. Trend index after today's round: 14.2.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
Not surprising at all on the amateur level.

If that was a 'personal shot' at my integrity, then you have taken my comment out of context. A true example of the "association fallacy".

Please finish the ENTIRE statement if you are going to use the "quote" mechanism in english grammar. It can be construed as disingenuous otherwise.

The rest of the statement was simply you justifying your actions. Then you impugned lawyers, shoe salesmen, etc.?

You complain that people don't have honor, then say that while you keep a handicap you don't declare it for the tournaments in which you play. The rest was just noise that hid the hypocrisy.

Better choices you could make:

• Declare your proper handicap and play to it.
  • Don't play in those kind of tournaments.

Integrity can not be rationalized away as "but everyone else is doing it." You're playing in charity tournaments - just go have fun. Or go do something else with your time. Play in actual tournaments where handicaps are legitimate if you want to play competitive events.

• Upvote 1

Down to 17.2 [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/129112/] [/URL]

Huge improvement this season...congrats!

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Note: This thread is 1182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!