IGNORED

2013 PGA Championship at Oak Hill Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If we're going to talk about awesomesauce suave cool guys then Neil DeGrasse Tyson on the list. What a phenomenal mind...

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Looks more like Neil DeGrasse Tyson to me.

(Sort of) Edit:  That's cuz it is ;) ...

"I hate that f**ing guy!", said former planet Pluto in a recent interview in Science magazine.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Huge props in this thread to boogie for properly underlining the name of a published magazine.  Even though I don't get the joke.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson was one of the main proponents of demoting Pluto from planet status.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by rehmwa

really?

really?

so which one do you think is suave and cool - the chew spitting fat guy with poor posture and three chins?  or the old balding fat guy with only two chins with the dumb cigar and the stringy hair that looks like Gene Hackman after a bad day in the tavern?

Well, to be honest, I was kind of semi-mindlessly parrotting the general consensus that Jimenez served as the model for The Most Interesting Man In The World from the Dos Equis commercials.  Personally, I don't think much of anyone who smokes cigars, as I detest the smell of them so much and I think 95+% of the people who smoke them are doing it as an pretentious affectation, a prop to say "Look at me!  I"m So Powerful, Rich and/or COOL!"  I should have written "and the other one is generally accepted as perhaps the most suave/cool-appearing-and-acting guy in the sport."  Truth be told, my opinions are closer to yours than to the more typically accepted view of Jimenez.  You have to admit, thought, that the guy does have the attitude of a sauve, bon vivant ladies man, chins, hair issues, dumb cigar and all.

Originally Posted by TJBam

There's really not any tough guy about it.  It's about being assertive.  If they stuck me and my partner in a smokey hotel room when I had reserved a different non smoking one months in advance, I'd also request another room.  Every smart consumer knows that hotels keep rooms in reserve.  I've done that before and got put in a nice suite at a steeply discounted rate because of a lack of planning on the hotel's end.

It's nice to see that at least some other people think it's reasonable to expect a business to provide what they agreed to do and not label someone a jerk or a-hole for politely, but assertively requesting that the business take responsibility and live up to its end of the bargain.  I'd rather have a few mousy, passive-aggressive types think I'm a pushy jerk than be miserable because I was a spineless pushover, too timid to say anything about unaccepable problems that were entirely the other party's fault and entirely their responsibility to fix. FYI, when I go out to eat, maybe 4-6 times a year I do speak to the restaurant's manager about the level of service we received.  Over the last few years, I'm running about a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of complimenting a server to his/her manager for really fine service I received compared to complaing about truly awful service.  One time when we had outstanding service I called the restaurant manager over and it must have been her first week, as she looked frazzled and also looked like she was utterly dreading having to address what she thought was an angry customer making a complaint (which is probably what happens most of the time a customer calls for a manager).  She visibly exhaled with relief when I explained to her what a great job our server had done - her emotional level rose about 7 points on a 10-point scale when she realized I was complimenting her employee, not complaining about him.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Well, to be honest, I was kind of semi-mindlessly parrotting the general consensus that Jimenez served as the model for The Most Interesting Man In The World from the Dos Equis commercials.  Personally, I don't think much of anyone who smokes cigars, as I detest the smell of them so much and I think 95+% of the people who smoke them are doing it as an pretentious affectation, a prop to say "Look at me!  I"m So Powerful, Rich and/or COOL!"  I should have written "and the other one is generally accepted as perhaps the most suave/cool-appearing-and-acting guy in the sport."  Truth be told, my opinions are closer to yours than to the more typically accepted view of Jimenez.  You have to admit, thought, that the guy does have the attitude of a sauve, bon vivant ladies man, chins, hair issues, dumb cigar and all. It's nice to see that at least some other people think it's reasonable to expect a business to provide what they agreed to do and not label someone a jerk or a-hole for politely, but assertively requesting that the business take responsibility and live up to its end of the bargain.  I'd rather have a few mousy, passive-aggressive types think I'm a pushy jerk than be miserable because I was a spineless pushover, too timid to say anything about unaccepable problems that were entirely the other party's fault and entirely their responsibility to fix. FYI, when I go out to eat, maybe 4-6 times a year I do speak to the restaurant's manager about the level of service we received.  Over the last few years, I'm running about a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of complimenting a server to his/her manager for really fine service I received compared to complaing about truly awful service.  One time when we had outstanding service I called the restaurant manager over and it must have been her first week, as she looked frazzled and also looked like she was utterly dreading having to address what she thought was an angry customer making a complaint (which is probably what happens most of the time a customer calls for a manager).  She visibly exhaled with relief when I explained to her what a great job our server had done - her emotional level rose about 7 points on a 10-point scale when she realized I was complimenting her employee, not complaining about him.

Seems you wasted 30 minutes of your time writing that.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Originally Posted by jamo

Neil DeGrasse Tyson was one of the main proponents of demoting Pluto from planet status.

I was in Poland for work when the vote was going on.  We joked about driving to Prague to protest for Pluto!  You just can't take away planet status dude!  It's like tenure for teachers!  The planets don't have a strong Union rep though.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Dufner on Charlie Rose:

http://www.charlierose.com/watch/60253955

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Seems you're still sore I pointed out that you didn't understand the concept of tongue-in-cheek humor.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Note: This thread is 3896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!