IGNORED

My Swing (RFKFREAK)

RFKFREAK

Looks like you've come a long way, Christian! Seriously. To my eye, it looks much improved. I'll look forward to hearing about lower scores. Right? 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...
On 6/27/2017 at 4:51 PM, RandallT said:

Looks like you've come a long way, Christian! Seriously. To my eye, it looks much improved. I'll look forward to hearing about lower scores. Right? 

Never saw this response.  Thanks, @RandallT!

Couple of new swings.  Working with my Evolvr instructor on my path.lately.  In this video I think my clubhead is too far inside of my hands at A2, I'm crossing the line at the top of my backswing, I'm not keeping my head still, and my hands aren't far enough forward at impact.  The latter two issues are probably keeping my from getting more distance as I don't think my weight is far enough forward.  One bright spot, I think my left wrist at the top isn't cupped and in this swing, it looks flat and I didn't even think about it - the position is natural. :)

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

46 minutes ago, amishboy51 said:

I realize this is a golf website, and you’re looking for swing analysis, but did you also lose weight? Say 30+ pounds? If so, congrats!

Ditto, and @RFKFREAK, your swings also coming along!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

15 hours ago, amishboy51 said:

I realize this is a golf website, and you’re looking for swing analysis, but did you also lose weight? Say 30+ pounds? If so, congrats!

More than 30 but thanks for noticing, @amishboy51!

15 hours ago, Lihu said:

Ditto, and @RFKFREAK, your swings also coming along!

Thank you, sir!  I feel as though I've made a breakthrough!

Christian

• 6 months later...
(edited)

Took some video of some swings this afternoon.

Shocking that the winter layoff did nothing to improve my swing. :-$

I seem to go way too back with my backswing on my irons.  Any tips on how to work on that would be helpful.

Of course, any feedback is always appreciated. :-)

Edited by RFKFREAK

Christian

I think you turn your shoulders too flat and not enough. You don't really get a 90° turn, it just looks that way because of the way you retract your left shoulder at the top.

If you turn your shoulders properly, your arms wouldn't have to get so far across your chest to get loaded.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

I think you turn your shoulders too flat and not enough. You don't really get a 90° turn, it just looks that way because of the way you retract your left shoulder at the top.

If you turn your shoulders properly, your arms wouldn't have to get so far across your chest to get loaded.

Can you elaborate?  I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Christian

Interesting obs from @billchao, I was noticing how you are moving back and standing up a bit at the very top of the BS.

3 hours ago, billchao said:

And now that I watch it again, I agree. The left shoulder isn't getting down enough, and it's not turning nearly 90 degrees.the flat turn is causing the left shoulder to slam into your chin, pushing your head back and up.

Colin P.

15 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Interesting obs from @billchao, I was noticing how you are moving back and standing up a bit at the very top of the BS.

And now that I watch it again, I agree. The left shoulder isn't getting down enough, and it's not turning nearly 90 degrees.the flat turn is causing the left shoulder to slam into your chin, pushing your head back and up.

So I should dip more at the start of the swing?

Christian

11 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

So I should dip more at the start of the swing?

Put a club or an alignment stick across your shoulders and just see where they point. you're gonna want it pointing more between your legs and closer to you rather than so far out in front of you. also, the turning of your shoulders shouldn't affect your chin or bump into it 

At this point I would guesstimate your shoulder turn to be around 75° 

• Thumbs Up 1

Colin P.

2 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Can you elaborate?  I'm not quite sure what you mean.

You don't turn your shoulders enough. Or much at all, really. Tour pros are turned almost 90° by A3. You're closer to like 40° there (I can't draw to give you a real number, but you get my point) and you don't really turn much more after that. Instead, you get to the top by overloading your left arm across your chest. All of that ends up with you flipping at the ball.

Like @colin007 said, you want to turn your left shoulder more down and in front, as if it's going in front of where your sternum is at address. But the other thing is, from FO you have too much shoulder tilt at address. That position you take is going to make turning very hard, because what has to happen when the left shoulder goes down? The right has to go up. But you start with the right shoulder so low that it's going to be very hard to turn properly from there.

I'd start with a more neutral address position and work on turning the shoulders down more. If someone were to put a fist in front of your chest at address, turn your left shoulder down to meet it.

41 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I don't think it's so much the shoulder hits the chin and moves the torso, but you kind of hit the end of your range of motion by turning you shoulders that way and you actually start extending your back more to "complete" the turn, causing you to "stand up."

21 minutes ago, colin007 said:

also, the turning of your shoulders shouldn't affect your chin or bump into it 

I don't think that's necessarily true. Tiger wrote in his book that he used to wear out his shirts at the spot where his left shoulder hit his chin. Rory said he uses his shoulder hitting his chin as a trigger for when to start the downswing so he doesn't get too long. Obviously those are just players describing feels, but my point is you can turn your shoulders properly and still hit your chin.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

10 minutes ago, billchao said:

You don't turn your shoulders enough. Or much at all, really. Tour pros are turned almost 90° by A3. You're closer to like 40° there (I can't draw to give you a real number, but you get my point) and you don't really turn much more after that. Instead, you get to the top by overloading your left arm across your chest. All of that ends up with you flipping at the ball.

Like @colin007 said, you want to turn your left shoulder more down and in front, as if it's going in front of where your sternum is at address. But the other thing is, from FO you have too much shoulder tilt at address. That position you take is going to make turning very hard, because what has to happen when the left shoulder goes down? The right has to go up. But you start with the right shoulder so low that it's going to be very hard to turn properly from there.

I'd start with a more neutral address position and work on turning the shoulders down more. If someone were to put a fist in front of your chest at address, turn your left shoulder down to meet it.

I don't think it's so much the shoulder hits the chin and moves the torso, but you kind of hit the end of your range of motion by turning you shoulders that way and you actually start extending your back more to "complete" the turn, causing you to "stand up."

I don't think that's necessarily true. Tiger wrote in his book that he used to wear out his shirts at the spot where his left shoulder hit his chin. Rory said he uses his shoulder hitting his chin as a trigger for when to start the downswing so he doesn't get too long. Obviously those are just players describing feels, but my point is you can turn your shoulders properly and still hit your chin.

Re your last point, I should have clarified that I meant moving the chin (not just touching it), and by extension, the whole head. 

Colin P.

1 hour ago, billchao said:

But the other thing is, from FO you have too much shoulder tilt at address. That position you take is going to make turning very hard, because what has to happen when the left shoulder goes down? The right has to go up. But you start with the right shoulder so low that it's going to be very hard to turn properly from there.

@billchao do you mean for the driver or both driver and 6I?

I appreciate your entire insight, btw.

Christian

7 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

@billchao do you mean for the driver or both driver and 6I?

I appreciate your entire insight, btw.

Both. You're probably going to have to weaken your grip to do it. I think the reason your shoulder tilt is so extreme is because your right hand is so far under your grip.

Bill

My Swing Thread

10 hours ago, billchao said:

Both. You're probably going to have to weaken your grip to do it. I think the reason your shoulder tilt is so extreme is because your right hand is so far under your grip.

Changing my grip should bring some unexpected changes but I'm not against trying different things (especially with the way I hit them today :~().

Thanks again!

Christian

• 3 months later...

So, for the few rounds I played this year my right to left ball flight turned into a left to right ball flight as I was coming OTT.  Yesterday, while playing, mid-round, my the right to left ball flight came back, leading to a ton of penalty strokes.

So, today I decided to worked on flattening my swing because I was coming in very steep before which I think contributed to coming OTT.  Unfortunately, I left my camera at home so had to use my phone to record and manipulate the video to slow it down.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Christian

• Administrator

In trying to flatten you’ve gone flat early. So then you steepen in transition, and try to flatten again late.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets