IGNORED

The Films and Movies Thread

iacas

Initial reviews, there are only a few though, of Pixar's Inside Out is that... ist gut! Hope Pixar gets back to being Pixar, Pixar/Disney, whatever...

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Watched some more:

Waiting... - Par

Seventh Son - Par

Cut Bank - Par

Stretch - Par

Last Knights - Birdie

Blackhat - Par

Bad Country - Par

Everly - Par

Mad Max (2015) - Birdie

Max Max: Fury Road , chip-in birdie from 30 yards. The movie should be named Imperator Furiosa: Fury Road. Wanted to watch, but then over the top hyperbole reaction, held off, but was glad I saw it. Having recently seen Road Warrior, it's amazing how far special effects have come in 30 years. Loved the color palette. Great casting, Theron, Hardy, Hoult. Charlize Theron killed her role and Hardy, again with another face mask, does his man of few words character only he can do. Soooo, this is what California will look like in 5 years. :-P

To add: the action is very visceral, it doesn't feel like overdone CGI. It's disappointing to see it only made $45m its opening weekend. It's a much better movie than the $45m infers. That group fight sequence with the chains in the beginning was mad.

Much better than Ultron.

Steve

+nevets88: thanks for the review. I'm going to see that probably early next week, and I can't wait. And any movie that upsets the crowds that this one has managed to do is worth supporting! I re-watched [i]Road Warrior[/i] the other night, giving it a birdie. Every bit as good as I remember it, did what it set out to accomplish, and was lots of fun to watch. If you want to see Tom Hardy's face in a movie, check out [i]Layer Cake[/i] (if you haven't already). Come to think of it, watch that movie anyway.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

To add, the director and cinematographer of Fury Road are both in their 70s. Take that young 'uns!

I've seen a bunch of Hardy movies - Layer Cake, Inception, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Warrior, Locke - all birdies.

Steve

To add: the action is very visceral, it doesn't feel like overdone CGI.

I thought the CGI was way overdone actually, it was probably the worst part of the movie.  The guitar guy in particular looked fake every single time they showed him which is too bad because he was the coolest badguy in the entire movie.

Also, I didn't realize who Tom Hardy was until I saw this and every time he stood still in a scene or said something I kept imagining him go durrrrrr grrrrrrrr uhhhhh durrrrr like he does in Lawless.

Anyway, I haven't seen the original Mad Max movies in quite a few years now but I thought they were pretty gritty and depressing.  This movie wasn't like that at all which was disappointing, it was bubble-gum action the whole time like I thought it would be.  I still liked it though, like my post above says I still gave it a birdie. B-)

Yeah, the guitar guy could have been better CGI'd I'm not going to complain about that, just the over the top-ness of that guy was fun to watch but the action revolving around the cars looked real to me.

It wasn't gritty and depressing? In addition to the piece below, I think the warm color palette took the dystopia out of the world a bit.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/17/the-ultra-violent-world-of-mad-max-no-longer-shocks-us-its-too-close-to-reality

I recognized Hardy right from the get go, even w/the mask and I'm terrible w/faces. Probably 'cause I saw the trailer. :-)

Steve

Slow West. Birdie. A western, made in NZ, with barely any Americans in the lead. Fassy does a good cowboy, despite the title, not slow paced, just right. Some great set pieces although some scenes that didn't make sense. Whimsical yet brutal and real. And it doesn't romanticize the West like most Classic westerns. More westerns like this, please. Saw this instead of Tomorrowland, but will probably see Tomorrowland just for the 1st half, heard the ending was god awful suckititude. DAMN YOU Lindelof. :-) Enigma. Birdie. Another POV of Bletchley park code breaking the Nazis. I think this is a better movie than the Imitation Game. None of the hagiography and Oscar baiting. Complex plot though, but you get more insight into how the mundane part of the code breaking worked mixed in w/a love triangle. A couple of Game of Thrones faces you'll recognize. Jaime Lannister. Maester Lewin. Saffron Burrows is a stunning blonde.

Steve

Tomorrowland. Did not finish hole, in pocket after a great drive and approach shot. Player got distracted and went off to get a chocolate shake. There are some great set pieces in this movie. I would watch this movie again just for the first half. The lead actress and supporting actress are perfectly casted, especially the 13 yo who plays Athena. Love the score. Giacchino composed a great the future looks great riff. I don't hate Lindelof completely and you can't put the entire blame on him for how this movie utterly falls apart. I like both Star Trek movies and the setup of LOST was good enough for me to overlook the ending. But his favorite writing tool, time travel (again?) is used in the movie. Guy uses time travel in almost all his writing. This movie tries to inspire but I got more inspiration from Jodie Foster's speech to a funding committee in Contact. And holy product placement Coca Cola. I have a knot on my head from the bang of the Coke bottle on my noggin. Screw you CC, I haven't drunk a Coca Cola in like, years.

Steve

Mad Max: Fury Road. Birdie. I know this review is hackneyed at this point, but a week ago, I didn't realize I wanted a two hour car chase in my life, and now I don't know how I lived without it. And like many others, I would like to believe that Tom Hardy's character in this movie is not Mel Gibson's character from the original trilogy, but rather Emil Minty's character from the second one, all grown up. Yes, I know that doesn't jive with the opening monologue, so I'm fine not believing that. [quote name="nevets88" url="/t/70277/the-films-and-movies-thread/774#post_1146318"]And holy product placement Coca Cola. I have a knot on my head from the bang of the Coke bottle on my noggin. Screw you CC, I haven't drunk a Coca Cola in like, years.[/quote] Coca-Cola's product placement in [i]Scott Pilgrim vs the World[/i] (eagle, btw) got me drinking Coke Zero as my main soda (at least until I discovered there was a cherry variety)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Mad Max: Fury Road. Birdie. I know this review is hackneyed at this point, but a week ago, I didn't realize I wanted a two hour car chase in my life, and now I don't know how I lived without it. And like many others, I would like to believe that Tom Hardy's character in this movie is not Mel Gibson's character from the original trilogy, but rather Emil Minty's character from the second one, all grown up. Yes, I know that doesn't jive with the opening monologue, so I'm fine not believing that.

Coca-Cola's product placement in Scott Pilgrim vs the World (eagle, btw) got me drinking Coke Zero as my main soda (at least until I discovered there was a cherry variety)

I always know when I really liked a movie when I don't realize how long it was. From start to finish Mad Max felt like a super short movie but that was most likely due to it's basically non-stop action. I seriously felt like the movie was over in about an hour. I avoided all reviews before watching it, as I do with pretty much any movie, so not sure what was meant b y " any movie that upsets the crowds that this one".

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

not sure what was meant by "[COLOR=181818]any movie that upsets the crowds that this one".[/COLOR]

There are a number of ... I'd like to believe they're internet trolls, but an unfortunate number of them genuinely believe some horrible things. Anyway, there are a group whose complaints about the movie amount to their desire to avoid seeing strong female characters; you may have noticed that Furiosa wasn't a love interest/trophy for Max, and that she had one of the critical shots with the rifle (and he didn't). There's also one angle of the movie about how difficult it was for some characters to leave what was essentially a DV situation. Needless to say, I'm not in the group that got upset about these things. But that's what I meant by that I'd like to see more movies be successes that upset that crowd.

-- Michael | My swing! 

There are a number of ... I'd like to believe they're internet trolls, but an unfortunate number of them genuinely believe some horrible things. Anyway, there are a group whose complaints about the movie amount to their desire to avoid seeing strong female characters; you may have noticed that Furiosa wasn't a love interest/trophy for Max, and that she had one of the critical shots with the rifle (and he didn't). There's also one angle of the movie about how difficult it was for some characters to leave what was essentially a DV situation.

Needless to say, I'm not in the group that got upset about these things. But that's what I meant by that I'd like to see more movies be successes that upset that crowd.

Interesting, I had no problem with her being a strong role in the film and didn't realize anyone would. I don't mind strong female roles in films so I guess that explains why that angle never occurred to me. I did, however, get the impression that Furiosa had developed some feelings for Max and he for her as the movie progressed. I was pretty sure, though, that it wouldn't amount to anything because I was hoping they'd follow the previous movies where he doesn't settle down and keeps moving. As crazy as it sounds, I'd love it if they kept this new story line going a bit with at least one more movie because they did such an excellent job with this one.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

O Brother, Where Art Thou? Hole in One

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Mad Max: Fury Road gets a birdie from me. Not quite as good as others are making it to be, it's basically just a chase movie but the CGI and cinematography was excellent. Some crazy, cool scenes and Furiosa is a great character. Max was kind of dull.

Also Batman will be making an appearance in the Suicide Squad movie.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/new-suicide-squad-set-photos-offer-clearer-look-at-batman-jokers-car-chase

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I give Fury Road a birdie as well. The story is a bit weak, but the visuals are impressive. Watched Generation Iron this afternoon. It's a par. Not a bad documentary, but to me it loses points due to the state of bodybuilding these days. Nice distended guts, guys.

Corey

Riddick- Par

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones