iacas

The Films and Movies Thread

1,972 posts / 129645 viewsLast Reply

About Time, which I've seen a few times… honestly, it's an eagle for me. I think it's a great story, and I love how "time travel" is not even really the point. The performances are great, the theme is great. It's a feel good movie with great characters and a great message. It makes you want to live a better life, and see the world a bit differently.

We don't get to go back in time to erase mistakes and do things differently. We have one chance at things. So don't screw them up. Appreciate them the first time around.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Tommy’s Honour

Eagle. Comedy, drama all well represented. Great story and really enjoyed all the golf scenes of how it used to be. Amazing how they played back in those days. Makes me want to get a set of hickories.

Rewatched The Matrix (eagle) in the theater with Dolby Cinema. I watched the Blu-ray earlier in the year and still noticed new details that stood out, the dialogue, the background, facets of people's faces, etc... I don't get the big deal about Dolby Cinema, everything's a little better, the picture, the sound, but still not exactly blown away by it.

Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil, two-putt par. It was… a good idea. It felt like it was pretty badly produced. Low tech, low budget. Funny in parts, but… meh. Just okay. I mean, who jumps at a wood chipper?

Zombieland, same score. Also funny in parts, but… I just don't care about zombie movies, and it felt… just… silly? Stupid? Something. Plus, if I we're them, I wouldn't waste ammunition like they did. I'm pretty sure I could find Twinkies. And why wouldn't you just run over zombies in your car?

85% and 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, so, I'm fine being in the minority on each of these.

Rocketman - Birdie. Very different from Bohemian Rhapsody in that it is really a musical. Acting was excellent and it did a good job with Elton's story. Really enjoyed it.

Angel Has Fallen- Gerard Butler looks rugged and tough in all action films, so he appears more believable. In this one, you see he has visibly aged and has suffered for all the physical violence he has been through. But he is able to rise for one more romp to save a President and expose the bad guys in kick ass fashion. This one is probably the last but I enjoyed it as much as the first two. Without spoiling it for any of you, it has some humor injected in it too by a long term aged actor. The reason the franchise has been popular though is Butler. He like Neeson, Stateham, and Stallone look the part so well. The physicality and presence they show in their films make them more watchable. I give this a big birdie.

Shot Caller - Stars Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (of GOT Jaime Lannister fame) as Jacob/Money who is a former stock broker who ends up doing hard time for DUI manslaughter when he kills his best friend in a car crash.  This is a gritty thriller that nicely captures all of the reasons that I would never make it in prison - on his first night in prison he sees another new guy get gang raped and decides he'll do whatever it takes to stay alive.  And he does.  Really well done movie that flashes between the past, present and future in a way that really helps tell the story.  My wife and I both got a bit lost around the climax of the film, but the director nicely pulled it all back together in time for a pretty spectacular ending that you don't see coming.  Coster-Waldau is excellent in this movie, as is Jeffrey Donovan (Burn Notice).  Jon Bernthal (TWD/ The Accountant) plays the same weak person character he always does - not a fan, but he doesn't distract from the story.  If not for the jumbled climax this would have been an Eagle, but I still give it a solid birdie.  I think we watched it off of Prime.

Okay....It 2. This is a tough one. I'm going tap in birdie on a long par 5.  I thought it was good but.......

I finally got to see Parasite. Eagle. I see now why it won in Cannes. It defies categorization, it's just great storytelling and multilayered. I saw the subtitled version.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.