IGNORED

The Films and Movies Thread

iacas

(edited)

Sicario - birdie. I enjoyed Enemy and Prisoners too. Great everything. Intense, taut. Some will find the pace too slow, but I like it when a film breathes. That set piece in the middle was something.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/08/juarez-mexico-mayor-boycott-sicario

It feels like there's a surfeit of shows and movies about the drug war these days Sicario, Narcos, Cartel, Kingdom of Shadows, even Amazon made a slapstick show, Borderline - think Airplane! meets Narcos - and the sense I'm getting from them is a shrugging of the shoulders, it's out of everyone's hands. What can you do, it's out of control, there's nothing you can do unless everyone stops taking drugs.

New YouTube channel - Paramount Vault:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzMVH2jEyEwXPBvyht8xQNw/videos

Lots of movie clips I haven't seen in a long time. The full length movies are way off in the long tail, but an old school giant taking the slow slog to adapting to the times.

Edited by nevets88

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

La casa del fin de los tiempos

The house at the end of time 

Birdie. Tempted to give it an eagle. 

This was unlike any haunted house movie I've seen before. Saying more will spoil it, just watch it. It's on US Netflix. Yes, it's scary. Basically jump scares. Like the Babadook. Wouldn't be surprised if a US version is in the works. 

The Gift. Par. Heard high praises for this but the characterization of one of the major character killed it for me. Another movie like the above that isn't what you think it is but it doesn't close the deal. 

Edited by nevets88

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

It's Complicated with Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin.  Solid par.  Streep is excellent and Baldwin is great at playing the Ex.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It's Complicated with Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin.  Solid par.  Streep is excellent and Baldwin is great at playing the Ex.

Lo how about the last where they do it and afterwards Baldwin pats her crotch and goes "home sweet home"??

Ex Machina - hole in one. Phenomenal. Just freaking awesome.

Colin P.

(edited)

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (birdie) is on US Netflix. Highly recommend watching this classic if you have Netflix.

Edited by nevets88

Steve

It's a decent movie. Completely ridiculous, of course. But mindless entertainment is needed once in a while.

Just saw San Andreas.  Loved it.  Birdie for me.  Awesome scenes of destruction are the highlights of the film and worth watching.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I saw the Intern ... just a Par for me ... sort of ho hum, get the point for me.  The wife loved it.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

• Administrator

Saw The Martian today with the family.

I don't rate it as an eagle, but it was pretty good. I'd have loved to see a bit more of the science, I'd have liked to see a bit more drama, but it was easily a birdie as it kept my attention.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My wife and I watched The Great Santini again. We hadn't seen it in long time. I forgot how good a movie it was (birdie) and even a better book. Michael O'Keefe got an Oscar nomination for this movie before he was Danny Noonan in Caddyshack

Scott

My Swing Thread

(edited)

The Assassin - Not sure - Long holding shots, movie a la art gallery, the confusing plot and the clinical coldness of it enough to justify a bogey, but withholding rating till I watch it again, felt like I missed something.

Goodnight Mommy - par - hard to say anything about this w/o spoiling it but if you watch a lot of movies, you'll probably have it figured out early, but to me, it was interestingly made. The torture scenes were awful, but felt no compunction to leave, it's not Saw.

Edited by nevets88

Steve

We had a nice stay at a B&B in St. Augustine for my wife's birthday this past weekend and they have a bunch of movies.  Being October and her being a lover of horror movies we found Oculus in their collection and watched it one night.  It was par, most horror movies are a little campy and cheesy to begin with and this one was not bad, provided some entertainment and a few jumps.

Watched "Spy" (with Melissa McCarthy) the other day.  It was surprisingly funny and good.  Just missed being a birdie.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

(edited)

The Natural. Eagle. 

Go pick me out a winner Bobby. 

Try this one Grandpa.

I don't know how to spell it, but it sure eats good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjk3RsytFZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Ancd0WztU

Edited by nevets88

Steve

Bridge of Spies - par - Given the amount of talent involved, this was a little bit of a letdown. I love slow burn movies, like Tinker Tailer Spy which I've seen many times, so it's not the slow pace. It was just very, milquetoast and towards the end, sentimental and preachy, which isn't surprising given it's Spielberg. Abel was the most interesting part of the movie.

Steve

Bridge of Spies - par - Given the amount of talent involved, this was a little bit of a letdown. I love slow burn movies, like Tinker Tailer Spy which I've seen many times, so it's not the slow pace. It was just very, milquetoast and towards the end, sentimental and preachy, which isn't surprising given it's Spielberg. Abel was the most interesting part of the movie.

that's too bad. I didn't like Tinker, Taylor, Soldier zzzzzzz for that reason.

Scott

My Swing Thread

The Martian - Bogey. The movie just didn't work for me at all. It was too Hollywoody and silly and yeah. 

If anyone wants a Halloween movie, try Event Horizon. A creepy movie with really good atmosphere.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1