IGNORED

Advice on pre-round warm up to establish tempo/rhythm and to get in sync before first tee

Odogesq
Note: This thread is 3853 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping to solicit some advice on a solid pre-round warm up routine to get in-sync and establish some tempo in my full swing prior to teeing off.  My main problem of late is that I will feel "out of sync" and/or my tempo/rhythm will be off on the front nine, only to come around on the back nine such that my score on the back nine is almost always 2-4 strokes better than the front nine.  It's almost as if it takes a minimum of nine holes for my body to remember how to hit a golf shot.  I usually start out hitting big draws/pulls/hooks (in order of worst case scenario, ha) and by the time I hit the 10th or 11th hole my shots have straightened out to the point of being just a slight draw and much more under my control.  Inevitably, I find that my problem is one of tempo and timing, with my body not being in sync with my arms during the swing.  For whatever reason, it just takes 8-10 holes to get everything to sync up just right and I am wondering if there are not some good drills/warm up routines to do to tee off on the first hole with everything in sync.

Any advise would be helpful, both in terms of time spent warming up, drills, etc.  While I am sure that it takes most amateurs some time to settle into their rounds, it seems unusual that it is taking me half my round.  If I am wrong, let me know!

My current routine is as follows: show up at the range at least 1 hour prior to teeing off and hit approx 60-80 balls, working up from wedges to short irons, mid irons, long irons, and 3wood/driver.  I spend about 20 min. putting before heading out.  I do not do any drills really, just try to focus on getting comfortable swinging each club and try to fine tune my feel.  Obviously, this is not working.

In My Bag:

:tmade: 9.5˚ Rocketballz | :callaway: 15˚ X-Hot 3 Wood :tmade: ran TP (3-PW) | :vokey: Vokey 52˚ & 56˚ | :odyssey: White Smoke MC-72 

I've never tried the OrangeWhip but from what I've heard, it may be exactly what you need as it targets the areas you've brought up. I'm thinking of getting one but they're priced pretty steep.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the response Ernest.  Does anyone out there incorporate the orange whip into their routine and care to share their thoughts?

In My Bag:

:tmade: 9.5˚ Rocketballz | :callaway: 15˚ X-Hot 3 Wood :tmade: ran TP (3-PW) | :vokey: Vokey 52˚ & 56˚ | :odyssey: White Smoke MC-72 

Will let you know tomorrow, I have the same exact issue with respect to being out of sync early in my rounds. I purchased the orange whip a few days ago mainly to help with overall flexibility, however, I have a round scheduled for tomorrow morning and was planning on working into my warm-up to see if it helps at all.

Could also be mental.  Maybe you are stressing yourself out too much and keep trying more and more, when perhaps less is better.  Good tempo and rythym, I imagine, come from being relaxed.

Maybe try to get there 20 minutes early and only hit 10-15 balls on the range, and putt/chip for 4 or 5 minutes just prior to teeing off?

Just a thought ...

Thanks for the response Ernest.  Does anyone out there incorporate the orange whip into their routine and care to share their thoughts?

Here's a pile of member reviews, all pretty positive.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I use the Orange Whip.   Usually I don't get to the golf course early enough to hit range balls but I religiously use the Orange Whip before a round.   I'm 56 and I not only use it to get the muscles a little more limber but it helps with tempo and timing.   If you have never tried it, run to the closest dealer and try one.   I highly recommend it.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I changed my pre-round warm up earlier this year and it seems to have helped me get ready for the first few holes. I'll get to the course about 40 minutes prior to my tee time. I them warm up starting at the green and going back. With 3 golf balls, I'll practice 3 to 6 footers for 5 minutes or so. Then hit some lag putts for another 5 minutes. Then, 5 minutes each of green side chips followed by short pitches. The last 15 minutes is spent hitting full shots on the range. I'll just hit a small bucket, which I'm guessing is 30 balls. For me, the short game stuff loosens me up. By the time I take full swings, I already feel in a groove. It also gives me more confidence that I've hit about every shot warming up that I will see on the course. This replaced a routine where I hit the range first, then just spent 10 minutes or so on and around the practice green.

These drills are geared towards helping you hit it more solid.  Good way to exaggerate some feels before you go play.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I have had this same problem, but I found that the more warm up I would do the worse it would be.  I think what used to happen is I'd hit balls before and then all my flaws would get in my head.  So now I hit maybe 10 balls with my 9 iron just to loosen up and then do maybe 3-4 with my driver just to get a full range of motion.  After that I chip a few and then putt a few just to get a feel.  Then I play.

Now, I'm not a great golfer so take that for what it's worth, but I do much better the first couple holes than I used to.

Like you, I arrive at a course one hour before. I'd actually like more time.

Go to a quiet area and stretch. I use an Orange Whip to help me stretch - side to side, over my head, etc.

Then I'll use the Orange Whip to stretch out golf swing muscles and use it to swing slowly and get a rhythm.

Go to Putting Green and get accustomed to speed of greens.

Hit a few chips

Go to range, swing the Orange Whip, and then get some feels with and without a ball - as MVMAC said - a few drills.

Hit about 30 balls. And then with the last 10 or less, play the first two holes - hit a tee shot, approach, pitch, and/or chip.

Go to first hole.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I like mvmac posted. Since the body feels different every day. Some days i work out, some days i am sitting around, everything changes how i move, how my muscle activate. So i need to do those type of drills and get some solid ball flight to sort of re-wire my body to do what I need it to do to score.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I have had this same problem, but I found that the more warm up I would do the worse it would be.  I think what used to happen is I'd hit balls before and then all my flaws would get in my head.  So now I hit maybe 10 balls with my 9 iron just to loosen up and then do maybe 3-4 with my driver just to get a full range of motion.  After that I chip a few and then putt a few just to get a feel.  Then I play.

Now, I'm not a great golfer so take that for what it's worth, but I do much better the first couple holes than I used to.

^^I like this approach^^- I have also found that less is more for me.  I think that the more I hit longer clubs before I play, the more likely I am to lose good tempo.

The driving range where I played most of my rounds this season is terrible, so I never visited it once.  What I did was to hit 5 to 15 nine irons into a blanket I have set up in my basement before going to the course.  The first 2-5 shots would be using Leadbetter's Swing Link, then the rest without it.  At the course I would hit some short pitches and chips, then tee off.  I would do a few rotational exercises and a bit of stretching before hitting balls at home and sometimes at the course as well.

Bottom line- I would work on shots that are comfortable for you and promote good tempo before the round while leaving stuff that you are not as comfortable with for post round or days you are not playing.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Took the orange whip out with me for warm up today for the first time and really found it helpful.  Just felt more physically comfortable then usual on the first few holes.

My current routine is as follows: show up at the range at least 1 hour prior to teeing off and hit approx 60-80 balls, working up from wedges to short irons, mid irons, long irons, and 3wood/driver.  I spend about 20 min. putting before heading out.  I do not do any drills really, just try to focus on getting comfortable swinging each club and try to fine tune my feel.  Obviously, this is not working.

I do almost the same thing except I keep my putting at the end to about 5 mins.  Any longer than the 5 minutes, I feel I get cool down from all that swing warm up.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3853 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!