IGNORED

Pants/Slacks or Shorts??

PapaBear
Note: This thread is 3836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52

He asked me if I thought it was OK for him to go to the range with the jeans. I just told him that, if he had to ask me that question, he flunked the test.

Originally Posted by rehmwa

And that's a snotty response to someone that was trying to be respectful enough to at least ask the question.

How would it have hurt to just answer kindly and directly "It's not our policy, you need to change your clothes to fit our local rules.  We even have clothes for sale in the pro shop."

Because he is a 25 year member who knows the policy, and he is also a friend of mine and he was not insulted. In fact, he laughed and said, "you're right", and put on his rain pants to go to the range.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Because he is a 25 year member who knows the policy, and he is also a friend of mine and he was not insulted. In fact, he laughed and said, "you're right", and put on his rain pants to go to the range.

Understood - my misread.  You were being wry and funny to a friend.  not snotty to a stranger.  my apologies.

Bill - 

Don't worry, you're one of several.

Not all weddings are equal, wouldn't you agree?  I got married at night in New York City, and our recommended dress was basically black-tie.  My wife's best frined got married on a beach in Kauai ... would it make sense to wear a tuxedo to that one???  Her cousin, who just got married last month, had her wedding in a barn on a ranch in upstate New York along the Hudson River.  Dress was "country casual."  Would you have worn your tux to that one too?

No, it doesn't.  Again, we're talking about courses that actually ALLOW jeans to be worn.  All it shows is that the person is more comfortable in jeans than any other type of pants.  So what?

Further, even if I saw a guy in denim at a place that DIDN't allow jeans, I would not think he was lacking taste or manners ... I would suspect that he was more likely a beginning golfer and completely unaware of the dress code.  And, I would bet, more often than not, I'd be right.

OK, here's the problem.  You are implying that there is some sort of universal dress code that should apply to the entire sport, and that is incorrect.  Think about this ... there are thousands and thousands of golf courses around the world.  From private country clubs that cost 100k a year (or more) to be a member, all the way down to junky run-down 9-hole courses that cost $2 that you slip into a box on the first tee.  If the expensive CC was equivalent to an exclusive Paris restaurant where a suit and tie was required, then I think it would be safe to say that the 9-hole place would be more like a McDonalds. eh?

Now, how ridiculous would it be if I scoffed at people at McDonalds who WEREN'T in suits and ties and said "What's the matter with you?  Don't you respect the food??"

Golfingdad - if you want to wear jeans so bad, wear them.  I'm not going to stop you...although I'll be the one behind you on the teebox questioning your choice of apparel.  Then I'll politely ask to play through so we can get out of the way of the hacks wearing jeans in front of us.

How much more formal are shorts than jeans really?  I'd think that I could get away with a nice pair of jeans, shoes, shirt etc in some restaurants where I wouldn't really consider wearing shorts.  Just a thought - but I'm not sure shorts are really any more upscale than jeans.

in all the golf shops/stores I have been in I have never seen a pair of jeans in the golf attire section :) just sayin. Just follow the courses rule and have fun. And please don't have a nutty when the pro shop staff says sorry sir /madam no jeans allowed. I cant tell you how many time I have seen this.

Golfingdad - if you want to wear jeans so bad, wear them.  I'm not going to stop you...although I'll be the one behind you on the teebox questioning your choice of apparel.  Then I'll politely ask to play through so we can get out of the way of the hacks wearing jeans in front of us.

GD and I will be happy to play you and your partner of choice in a four ball.  We'll wear jeans with extra pockets, because we'll be taking home your cash.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

in all the golf shops/stores I have been in I have never seen a pair of jeans in the golf attire section :) just sayin. Just follow the courses rule and have fun. And please don't have a nutty when the pro shop staff says sorry sir /madam no jeans allowed. I cant tell you how many time I have seen this.

It just happens to be a tradition at private CC's and it isn't changing anytime soon. Hell, when I was caddying, all the private clubs in the area didn't even allow shorts. I never saw my Dad in a pair of shorts on a golf course. The first time I played Merion I had to wear slacks (at least 25 years ago) and, when I played Seminole, I wasn't sure so I made sure I had slacks with me, just in case (they allowed shorts).

They all eventually went the shorts route but they will never allow jeans. My club is one of the more liberal, open-minded places and it just will never happen.

Bill M

With all due respect,**

I'm not trying to defend my right to wear jeans ... I don't wear them.  All I am saying is simply that anybody who forms an opinion on a persons worth, or station, or personality, or whatever, based on the fact that they wear jeans TO A COURSE THAT ALLOWS THEM, is a judgmental a**hole.

That's all.

• Upvote 1

GD and I will be happy to play you and your partner of choice in a four ball.  We'll wear jeans with extra pockets, because we'll be taking home your cash.

No thanks, I'll go ahead and win so I can buy you guys some actual pants.  You two playing from the ladies tees, because you and golfingdad sure do bicker like them.

With all due respect,**

I'm not trying to defend my right to wear jeans ... I don't wear them.  All I am saying is simply that anybody who forms an opinion on a persons worth, or station, or personality, or whatever, based on the fact that they wear jeans TO A COURSE THAT ALLOWS THEM, is a judgmental a**hole.

That's all.

First of all - appreciate the clip, because I'm a big Will Ferrell fan.  Secondly, you argue a lot about a subject to not have any "judgement" towards it.  Let's break it down a bit - if you were out (let's say at a nice restaurant) and were dressed up enjoying your dinner, when all of the sudden a bum busts through the front door and sits down next to you.  Tell me for one second you aren't going to slightly judge him based on where you are (what proper attire is considered, type of clientele to be expected, etc.) vs his appearance currently and the way he handles himself.  Same thing applies at the golf course.  There are certain expectations with sports - a sprinter isn't going to wear jeans, a diver isn't going to wear a hoodie, and golfers TRADITIONALLY don't wear jeans.  That's the only point I'm trying to make.

Put me down for $50 of that action too if they'll give it to you....... ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyshackD View Post

Maybe I'm the sore thumb of the group, but I believe regardless of dress code, there shouldn't be jeans on a golf course. If you go to the beach, are you going to wear dress pants and a suit jacket while you swim?

This is really one of the stupidest attempts at making a comparison yet.

Quote:
No.  If you go to a wedding are you going to wear shorts and a t-shirt?  No.  So why would you bring jeans to a golf course...  I'm not saying it's illegal or anything, but I just think it shows bad taste.

Like most people, I will wear apparel appropriate to the wedding couple's request and the venue.  The last few weddings I have attended have been casual.  At one the groom and groomsmen were in black denim, and most of the guests wore some sort of denim.  It was even stated on the invitations.  Your personal experiences do not equal the some total  of everything known in the history of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyshackD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Don't worry, you're one of several.

Not all weddings are equal, wouldn't you agree?  I got married at night in New York City, and our recommended dress was basically black-tie.  My wife's best frined got married on a beach in Kauai ... would it make sense to wear a tuxedo to that one???  Her cousin, who just got married last month, had her wedding in a barn on a ranch in upstate New York along the Hudson River.  Dress was "country casual."  Would you have worn your tux to that one too?

No, it doesn't.  Again, we're talking about courses that actually ALLOW jeans to be worn.  All it shows is that the person is more comfortable in jeans than any other type of pants.  So what?

Further, even if I saw a guy in denim at a place that DIDN't allow jeans, I would not think he was lacking taste or manners ... I would suspect that he was more likely a beginning golfer and completely unaware of the dress code.  And, I would bet, more often than not, I'd be right.

OK, here's the problem.  You are implying that there is some sort of universal dress code that should apply to the entire sport, and that is incorrect.  Think about this ... there are thousands and thousands of golf courses around the world.  From private country clubs that cost 100k a year (or more) to be a member, all the way down to junky run-down 9-hole courses that cost $2 that you slip into a box on the first tee.  If the expensive CC was equivalent to an exclusive Paris restaurant where a suit and tie was required, then I think it would be safe to say that the 9-hole place would be more like a McDonalds. eh?

Now, how ridiculous would it be if I scoffed at people at McDonalds who WEREN'T in suits and ties and said "What's the matter with you?  Don't you respect the food??"

Once again I see where you're coming from, but we're talking about the same venue...a golf course.  A golf course is a golf course is a golf course.  There are always going to be differences from place to place, but bottom line is you're playing the same sport.  If you're on a baseball team, are you going to wear baseball pants in Fenway and jeans at a local parks and recreation field because it's not "as nice"?  No...you're going to wear what is generally expected in that sport's dress code (i.e. baseball pants).  Why would you not carry those same values in a sport that demands more courtesy and professionalism than the other major sports around the world?  How many times have you seen professional golfers wearing jeans/jean shorts?  I'm going to guess between ZERO and maybe two (and I know that guess is right). It could also be possible that EVERY golfer I have ever seen wearing jeans has zero respect for the course, NO golf etiquette, and couldn't hit a golf ball into the ocean from the shore if they were aiming at it has something to do with my "jean opinion". Wear what you want, but just know that I'm one of MANY golfers out there that are going to look at you and say, "Wow...do you see this redneck over here in jeans?"

Once again we have the snobbery showing through.  And I'm calling the lie to your blanket statement that I put in bold.   That is so much bull that I simply disregard it, along with pretty much everything else you have said.  Thanks for joining up and giving us all such an easy target.  And if you sniggle like that last statement at any of a half dozen quite nice courses in my home area in Colorado which DO allow denim, you may need to defend your statement physically.  Might be healthier for you and your buddies to stay at your club and avoid joining the real world.  Just sayin'... :smartass:

• Upvote 2

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Like most people, I will wear apparel appropriate to the wedding couple's request and the venue.  The last few weddings I have attended have been casual.  At one the groom and groomsmen were in black denim, and most of the guests wore some sort of denim.  It was even stated on the invitations.  Your personal experiences do not equal the some total  of everything known in the history of the world.

Once again we have the snobbery showing through.  And I'm calling the lie to your blanket statement that I put in bold.   That is so much bull that I simply disregard it, along with pretty much everything else you have said.  Thanks for joining up and giving us all such an easy target.  And if you sniggle like that last statement at any of a half dozen quite nice courses in my home area in Colorado which DO allow denim, you may need to defend your statement physically.  Might be healthier for you and your buddies to stay at your club and avoid joining the real world.  Just sayin'...

What's a "sniggle"?  Last time I checked it was about fishing, and had nothing to do with what we were talking about?  I'm not trying to impress anyone in here, so if my comments come off as a "snob", then it is what it is.  Basically it comes down to this: jeans look like garbage on a golf course.  And for you to have so much disregard towards my statements, you sure put a lot of effort into replying to me, so I guess I should say thank you?  Have fun in your jeans, d-bag.

Once again we have the snobbery showing through.  And I'm calling the lie to your blanket statement that I put in bold.   That is so much bull that I simply disregard it, along with pretty much everything else you have said.  Thanks for joining up and giving us all such an easy target.  And if you sniggle like that last statement at any of a half dozen quite nice courses in my home area in Colorado which DO allow denim, you may need to defend your statement physically.  Might be healthier for you and your buddies to stay at your club and avoid joining the real world.  Just sayin'...

Absolutely agree, but.........

......what the HELL is a sniggle?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Absolutely agree, but.........

......what the HELL is a sniggle?

It's one of those things that just rolls off the keyboard without effort or forethought.  My Chrome spell-checker didn't like it either, but it seemed to say what I was feeling, so I let it go.  After all, where do new words come from anyway?  Someone has to make them up, why not us? ;-)

Apparently when  he gets a reply that he can't refute, he stoops to name calling.  His age is now showing too.  Great start for 20 posts. :doh:

• Upvote 1

Rick

What's a "sniggle"?  Last time I checked it was about fishing, and had nothing to do with what we were talking about?  I'm not trying to impress anyone in here, so if my comments come off as a "snob", then it is what it is.  Basically it comes down to this: jeans look like garbage on a golf course.  And for you to have so much disregard towards my statements, you sure put a lot of effort into replying to me, so I guess I should say thank you?  Have fun in your jeans, d-bag.

Calm down, we don't want you to soil your tux.

Dave :-)

It's one of those things that just rolls off the keyboard without effort or forethought.  My Chrome spell-checker didn't like it either, but it seemed to say what I was feeling, so I let it go.  After all, where do new words come from anyway?  Someone has to make them up, why not us?

Apparently when  he gets a reply that he can't refute, he stoops to name calling.  His age is now showing too.  Great start for 20 posts.

I think someone called me a "snob" to start all of this...and I thought an old man wouldn't do something so silly.

Calm down, we don't want you to soil your tux.

Too late - there is dookie everywhere.  It doesn't smell good either...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

It's one of those things that just rolls off the keyboard without effort or forethought.  My Chrome spell-checker didn't like it either, but it seemed to say what I was feeling, so I let it go.  After all, where do new words come from anyway?  Someone has to make them up, why not us?

Apparently when  he gets a reply that he can't refute, he stoops to name calling.  His age is now showing too.  Great start for 20 posts.

I think someone called me a "snob" to start all of this...and I thought an old man wouldn't do something so silly.

What you said, only a snob would say - it's not name calling to speak truth.  A rational person would give another the benefit of the doubt, especially when he's brand new to the board and the discussion.  You however, jumped with both feet and fell on your prat.

Rick

Note: This thread is 3836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!