IGNORED

Pants/Slacks or Shorts??

PapaBear
Note: This thread is 3829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's more about what type of weather than the temp here. It can be 50 and sunny and shorts are fine but 50 and damp feels colder. It was 39 when I left this AM and I have shorts on but it's a sunny day. Even in the winter summer weight golf pants are usually enough on days with nice enough weather to golf.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would wear shorts all the time if the weather cooperated.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Like most others, I dress for the weather. If the temps are 70 degrees plus, I'm wearing shorts. Below 70, I'll go with the pants... The pants do look better though so if I can wear them comfortably without getting warm then I will. If the morning temps are going to be mid 60's with highs in the mid 70's, I will wear pants.

I don't wear shorts at all, never been a big shorts wearer because I have super skinny legs *big shock there* and since my accident and subsequent recovery with needing to wear a brace on my foot/leg I just would rather not have to answer the inevitable questions about it.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I'm the old guy you all see on the course who is wearing long pants and a wide-brim straw hat. Had a malignant melanoma removed from my forehead two years ago. I'll still wear short sleeves, but everything else I try to keep covered up. I love chasing that white ball too much to quit.

Approaching "70"....age, not score...

Ping G5 10.5 driver and 3w, TFC 100 R

Maltby H3, H4, H5, Maltby Pro Series R

Pinhawk SL 6i-Aw, Maltby Pro Series R

Maltby TSW 54 & 58, Maltby Pro Series S (tip trimmed to 8i length for the "spinner shaft" effect...experiment that seems to be one of my better decisions!)

Maltby Pure-Track PTM-1, 33" with +2* loft added

If it's not going to be rainy and/or windy, I'll wear shorts as long as the high temperature will be at least 53-55*F. Shorts are much more comfortable for me than pants - much cooler and less sweaty, less restrictive. I don't happen to like the feel of any sort of pants - lightweight or not - on my legs when it's hot. To whatever extent they block the hot sun, that is usually outweighed by the extent that they block the breeze and just feel hotter to me. I also don't bother with sunscreen on my legs when I play golf, although I apply it quite generously to my face, arms and neck. I've got kind of hairy legs that my wife teases me insulates me from the cold and shields me from the sun - there may be some truth in that, as I'm comfortable in shorts about 10* cooler than most people and never get sunburned legs and they don't even tan very much. I also play most of my golf these days from a cart, so I'm often in the shade. If I'm spending the afternoon at the pool or on a beach, I'll put sunscreen on the legs and particularly the ankles and tops of feet, but there is no real need for sunscreen on my legs that I can discern when I play golf. I understand and don't really have a problem with a course/club pro wearing pants - it's part of an uniform and shows professionalism and attention to detail, much as one expects one's doctor or lawyer to wear a tie even when there is no practical purpose for wearing one. However, I think it's silly and old-fashioned to require tour pros to wear pants regardless of the weather - why not go back to the dawn of the sport and require jackets and ties while you're at it?. Let them be grown ups and decide for themselves what they want to wear or at least make shorts an option if the heat index is over 85*F. At the moment I can't think of any other sport that has a uniform that is so unathletic - even equestrian outfits are more purpose-built for their sport than requiring golfers to wear pants while competing at the highest levels. I have to laugh at all of the people I've seen on really hot days sweating through pants on a golf course, which looks ridiculous. I understand the old guys ashamed of really scrawny legs or the people with some genuine skin concerns and medical issues, but I suspect that they're in the minority. Most people wearing pants on the golf course when it's clearly shorts weather are doing so for one of two similar reasons: 1) "It's a matter of decorum!" - somehow wearing a nice pair of shorts isn't showing the game enough "respect" (these same guys somehow think it makes them look classier if they refer to Bobby Jones or Ben Hogan as "MISTER Jones" or "MISTER Hogan" ); and/or 2) because they want to emulate the tour pros and have everyone perceive them as a super-duper-serious golfer who dresses just like his favorite PGA player. Sorry, but business casual attire neither looks nor feels comfortable while engaged in an athletic activity on a hot day and I really don't feel any need to dress like my heroes - I'll leave that to 11 year-old girls who want to dress like Katy Perry or Selena Gomez. For those claiming they don't find shorts comfortable, I think that's analogous to someone saying that after working for hours out in the yard on a hot day, they'd rather have a glass of warm water than a tall glass of icy, fresh-squeezed lemonade. The bottom line is that when the thermometer is hitting over 85*, most guys wearing pants on a golf course, when it's not part of a formal or semi-formal golf employment-related dress code, are doing it because they are pretentious. I'm anticipating that some people will retort "Why do you care?" My response: "Why do you dislike the Judge Smails character in Caddyshack?" Same reason.
  • Upvote 1

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

I have to laugh at all of the people I've seen on really hot days sweating through pants on a golf course, which looks ridiculous. I understand the old guys ashamed of really scrawny legs or the people with some genuine skin concerns and medical issues, but I suspect that they're in the minority. Most people wearing pants on the golf course when it's clearly shorts weather are doing so for one of two similar reasons: 1) "It's a matter of decorum!" - somehow wearing a nice pair of shorts isn't showing the game enough "respect" (these same guys somehow think it makes them look classier if they refer to Bobby Jones or Ben Hogan as "MISTER Jones" or "MISTER Hogan" ); and/or 2) because they want to emulate the tour pros and have everyone perceive them as a super-duper-serious golfer who dresses just like his favorite PGA player. Sorry, but business casual attire neither looks nor feels comfortable while engaged in an athletic activity on a hot day and I really don't feel any need to dress like my heros - I'll leave that to 11 year-old girls who want to dress like Katy Perry or Selena Gomez.

For those claiming they don't find shorts comfortable, I think that's analogous to someone saying that after working for hours out in the yard on a hot day, they'd rather have a glass of warm water than a tall glass of icy, fresh-squeezed lemonade.

The bottom line is that when the thermometer is hitting over 85*, most guys wearing pants on a golf course, when it's not part of a formal or semi-formal golf employment-related dress code, are doing it because they are pretentious.

I'm anticipating that some people will retort "Why do you care?" My response: "Why do you dislike the Judge Smails character in Caddyshack?" Same reason.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to start explaining to me my reasons for doing, or not doing, something. Didn't have to wait long, I should have started an over/under on it. I posted my reasons and none of them had anything to do with what pros are doing, but I'm glad you're around to tell me that I like lemonade more than water.

Hey, while you're at it, I can't decide on salmon or ham for dinner, could you tell which I prefer please? Thanks, you truly are wis.

LOL.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Trying to settle an argument with golf buddy.  In sunny and humid Florida, I wear shorts more often than not.  Other guy says we should always wear slacks, I say dress comfortable and nice.  Do most prefer shorts or slacks when playing a casual round?

Weather dependent. I almost always wear shorts, but I'll be wearing slacks this afternoon. Finally got a little nippy here in Philly.

Bill M

Sorry, my BS detector was going off almost as strongly in this thread as in the "I Hate Tiger" threads when every last person denies that race has anything to do with why they can't stand that damn Tiger (definitely not MISTER Woods). Of course no one is going to admit that he's a pretentious twit who just wants to play dress-up when he's out for a round. Of course every last one of you pants-no-matter-how-hot guys has a legitimate reason unrelated to keeping up appearances. But hey, it's a free country. Say what you want if it makes you feel better. And if the course allows it, wear what you want. This thread almost makes me want to go buy a black Dale Earnhardt, Sr. wifebeater and take a pair of scissors to an old pair of jeans for my next golf outing. Maybe I'll cut 'em high enough to have to use sunscreen on my legs after all. Ouch. P.S. My moniker here has to do with geography (i.e. the Badger State), not the adjective "wise." It was coincidental that it had a bit of a double entendre effect with the admins tacking on the Wise Guy photo.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to start explaining to me my reasons for doing, or not doing, something. Didn't have to wait long, I should have started an over/under on it. I posted my reasons and none of them had anything to do with what pros are doing, but I'm glad you're around to tell me that I like lemonade more than water.

Hey, while you're at it, I can't decide on salmon or ham for dinner, could you tell which I prefer please? Thanks, you truly are wis.

LOL.

Sorry, my BS detector was going off almost as strongly in this thread as in the "I Hate Tiger" threads when every last person denies that race has anything to do with why they can't stand that damn Tiger (definitely not MISTER Woods).

Of course no one is going to admit that he's a pretentious twit who just wants to play dress-up when he's out for a round. Of course every last one of you pants-no-matter-how-hot guys has a legitimate reason unrelated to keeping up appearances.

But hey, it's a free country. Say what you want if it makes you feel better. And if the course allows it, wear what you want.

This thread almost makes me want to go buy a black Dale Earnhardt, Sr. wifebeater and take a pair of scissors to an old pair of jeans for my next golf outing. Maybe I'll cut 'em high enough to have to use sunscreen on my legs after all. Ouch.

P.S. My moniker here has to do with geography (i.e. the Badger State), not the adjective "wise." It was coincidental that it had a bit of a double entendre effect with the admins tacking on the Wise Guy photo.

Do you ever get spittle on your chin when you post? You seem pretty angry. Maybe it's because of the constant ringing from the BS detector in your head? Hey, maybe you're keeping the BS detector in your head too close to the...well...never mind.

No Smiley for you and your stupid shorts.

PS. Anyone who doesn't like Tiger is a racist??? Really? That's some rock solid logic right there.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

If it's not going to be rainy and/or windy, I'll wear shorts as long as the high temperature will be at least 53-55*F. Shorts are much more comfortable for me than pants - much cooler and less sweaty, less restrictive. I don't happen to like the feel of any sort of pants - lightweight or not - on my legs when it's hot. To whatever extent they block the hot sun, that is usually outweighed by the extent that they block the breeze and just feel hotter to me. I also don't bother with sunscreen on my legs when I play golf, although I apply it quite generously to my face, arms and neck. I've got kind of hairy legs that my wife teases me insulates me from the cold and shields me from the sun - there may be some truth in that, as I'm comfortable in shorts about 10* cooler than most people and never get sunburned legs and they don't even tan very much. I also play most of my golf these days from a cart, so I'm often in the shade. If I'm spending the afternoon at the pool or on a beach, I'll put sunscreen on the legs and particularly the ankles and tops of feet, but there is no real need for sunscreen on my legs that I can discern when I play golf. I understand and don't really have a problem with a course/club pro wearing pants - it's part of an uniform and shows professionalism and attention to detail, much as one expects one's doctor or lawyer to wear a tie even when there is no practical purpose for wearing one. However, I think it's silly and old-fashioned to require tour pros to wear pants regardless of the weather - why not go back to the dawn of the sport and require jackets and ties while you're at it?. Let them be grown ups and decide for themselves what they want to wear or at least make shorts an option if the heat index is over 85*F. At the moment I can't think of any other sport that has a uniform that is so unathletic - even equestrian outfits are more purpose-built for their sport than requiring golfers to wear pants while competing at the highest levels. I have to laugh at all of the people I've seen on really hot days sweating through pants on a golf course, which looks ridiculous. I understand the old guys ashamed of really scrawny legs or the people with some genuine skin concerns and medical issues, but I suspect that they're in the minority. Most people wearing pants on the golf course when it's clearly shorts weather are doing so for one of two similar reasons: 1) "It's a matter of decorum!" - somehow wearing a nice pair of shorts isn't showing the game enough "respect" (these same guys somehow think it makes them look classier if they refer to Bobby Jones or Ben Hogan as "MISTER Jones" or "MISTER Hogan" ); and/or 2) because they want to emulate the tour pros and have everyone perceive them as a super-duper-serious golfer who dresses just like his favorite PGA player. Sorry, but business casual attire neither looks nor feels comfortable while engaged in an athletic activity on a hot day and I really don't feel any need to dress like my heroes - I'll leave that to 11 year-old girls who want to dress like Katy Perry or Selena Gomez. For those claiming they don't find shorts comfortable, I think that's analogous to someone saying that after working for hours out in the yard on a hot day, they'd rather have a glass of warm water than a tall glass of icy, fresh-squeezed lemonade. The bottom line is that when the thermometer is hitting over 85*, most guys wearing pants on a golf course, when it's not part of a formal or semi-formal golf employment-related dress code, are doing it because they are pretentious. I'm anticipating that some people will retort "Why do you care?" My response: "Why do you dislike the Judge Smails character in Caddyshack?" Same reason.

Is this the topic of your Doctoral Thesis? If so, we are privileged to see the outline.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Come on guys, lets get back on topic.

I prefer to wear pants while I play.  And for only one reason:  I am a pretentious twit who just wants to play dress-up when I'm out for a round.

Come on guys, lets get back on topic. I prefer to wear pants while I play.  And for only one reason:  I am a pretentious twit who just wants to play dress-up when I'm out for a round.

I wear pants because it gets wisguy all wound up, kinda feels like I have superpowers. :-P I think I'll get a big staff bag with my name on it and I'll keep extra pants in it. :w00t:

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Personally, if I have to wear long pants, I prefer jeans.  At least that way I avoid being tagged as pretentious. :smartass:

I do agree with much of Wisguy's rant though.  And I do wear jeans on courses where they are allowed.  I've practically lived in them in cooler weather since I was in grade school, so for me they just feel right.  The arguments that they are uncomfortable are pure bunk.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Personally, if I have to wear long pants, I prefer jeans.  At least that way I avoid being tagged as pretentious.  :smartass: I do agree with much of Wisguy's rant though.  And I do wear jeans on courses where they are allowed.  I've practically lived in them in cooler weather since I was in grade school, so for me they just feel right.  The arguments that they are uncomfortable are pure bunk.

I wear jeans a lot too, definitely comfortable but I'm not sure I'd enjoy wearing them to golf but I guess that would depend on the weather. Humid, no way but fall golf, yes. I Iike a light weight pair for golf.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Here in San Antonio it's ridiculously hot for a large portion of the year .. so I wear shorts.  In the dead of summer, I wear Tevas, too.  It's just too hot for anything more.  When it's cold, obviously, I wear pants.

I have seen people in the dead of summer, 100+ heat, wearing pants, though.  That just seems crazy to me.  If it wasn't for January and February, I probably wouldn't even own pants, lol.

Personally, if I have to wear long pants, I prefer jeans.  At least that way I avoid being tagged as pretentious.  :smartass: I do agree with much of Wisguy's rant though.  And I do wear jeans on courses where they are allowed.  I've practically lived in them in cooler weather since I was in grade school, so for me they just feel right.  The arguments that they are uncomfortable are pure bunk.

Personal preference. I only wear jeans from November through mid-March anyway. And I would never wear them playing golf because they are too stiff and it's tough to get things in and out of my pocket, like tees, markers, etc.

Bill M

Note: This thread is 3829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!