IGNORED

Pace Problem

Cartboy
Note: This thread is 1625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I believe the "play pace" is projected for a foursome walking. This imaginary group consists of four golfers with whatever the average ability of a US golfer is projected to be (15 handicap?).  The time is a product of a predetermined program and is not just made up by the course's management.

That being said, 4:23 or 4:30 is a dreadful pace, even considering the fairly long treks between several holes.  Fortunately, I almost never experience slow play at Leslie except during the Men's Championship.

• Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I wonder if there's a correlation between slow, dawdling drivers and slow golfers???  I get behind them all the time on the road and they rarely let me play through...

If so, would there be a similar correlation to the golfers who think 3 hours is too long for 18 holes, and the idiots who weave in and out of lanes, tailgate, and essentially try to pass every single car on the road?  I think probably not, for either group.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

8 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

Slow pace of play isn't going to be fixed anytime soon....why?

There are too many clueless clown golfers who don't care to play golf in under 4 hours or any consideration of other golfers playing.....I've experienced it too often....nuff said.

I don't know about some folks being "clueless clowns. I think it just has to do with with the speed, different individual's do things. Not everyone walks the same speed, talks the same speed, or takes the same number of strokes for that matter. It's genetics, and individuals have their own timing barriers.  

Say golfer "A" walks 18 (6000 yds) holes at 3 mph, and cards an 80. Golfer "B" walks the same 18 holes at 2.5 mph, and cards a 75. Who's the better golfer, and why should golfer "B" speed up, risk losing his tempo/timing to accommodate player "A"? Perhaps if player "A" slowed down a little he might score better. Who knows? It's all hypothetical.

As for course supervisors/marshals seriously speeding up slower players, I doubt that will ever be a common enforcement practice. Piss those slower players off, and they will take their green fees else where. Most courses can't afford much lost revenue. 

I played a 5.5 hour round a few days ago. Shot an 80. Play a 3.75 hour round this morning, and carded an 83. Same course, same tee time same weather same everything. Go figure.   

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

10 minutes ago, Patch said:

I don't know about some folks being "clueless clowns. I think it just has to do with with the speed, different individual's do things. Not everyone walks the same speed, talks the same speed, or takes the same number of strokes for that matter. It's genetics, and individuals have their own timing barriers.  

Say golfer "A" walks 18 (6000 yds) holes at 3 mph, and cards an 80. Golfer "B" walks the same 18 holes at 2.5 mph, and cards a 75. Who's the better golfer, and why should golfer "B" speed up, risk losing his tempo/timing to accommodate player "A"? Perhaps if player "A" slowed down a little he might score better. Who knows? It's all hypothetical.

As for course supervisors/marshals seriously speeding up slower players, I doubt that will ever be a common enforcement practice. Piss those slower players off, and they will take their green fees else where. Most courses can't afford much lost revenue. 

I played a 5.5 hour round a few days ago. Shot an 80. Play a 3.75 hour round this morning, and carded an 83. Same course, same tee time same weather same everything. Go figure.   

Patch... I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head... or the drive on the sweet spot.  We all have internal clocks and they're not going to vary much.  It's pretty much a losing battle.  Maybe you can get a slow golfer to speed up a tad but he won't be happy about it and it will throw off his internal clock... which also probably controls his swing pace to some degree.

31 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

If so, would there be a similar correlation to the golfers who think 3 hours is too long for 18 holes, and the idiots who weave in and out of lanes, tailgate, and essentially try to pass every single car on the road?  I think probably not, for either group.

My pet correlation hypothesis is, the nicer the day, the longer the round. Another one is, the wider the demographic, young, old, beginners, experienced, etc... the longer the round.

The borderline days, where it looks dreary, but actually isn't too bad, those are days for short-ish rounds without the super depressing weather.

• Like 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

7 minutes ago, Patch said:

I don't know about some folks being "clueless clowns. I think it just has to do with with the speed, different individual's do things.

I think the clueless part is true in some cases. Occasionally, when seasonal daylight allows, I will get in an early morning round before work, usually teeing off before 6am. One time I caught up to a single who was blissfully unaware of anything except himself. He was playing 4 balls, and treating each shot as if the US Open was on the line. He eventually noticed I was behind him waiting, but made no effort to speed up, or wave me through. He clearly had nowhere to be later that day, while I was in a hurry to finish and go to work. I ended up skipping ahead after a few holes. I waved and said good morning as I walked past, and he replied cordially. Not a clown, but definitely clueless. I've got no problem with people doing their own thing on the course (within reason), as long as they are paying attention to how their actions impact the players around them.

22 minutes ago, Patch said:

I think this is why only nicer courses do this (in my experience). I recently played Harding Park and my group was behind an excruciatingly slow foursome. At the 10th tee a marshal informed them they were two holes behind and that they would need to speed up or they would be asked to skip a hole. We didn't have to wait to play a shot for the rest of the round. But Harding Park is a desirable course to play and probably won't be financially impacted by pissing off some slow groups. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

My pet correlation hypothesis is, the nicer the day, the longer the round.

Or, like getting behind a slow driver:  The sooner you need to get home or get to your girlfriend's house or a doctor's appointment or the store or start the barbecue, the longer the round.

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I wonder if there's a correlation between slow, dawdling drivers and slow golfers???  I get behind them all the time on the road and they rarely let me play through...

These clowns are self serving and only care about themselves and no others....as I've said....I've seen it for 5 decades.

1) Played 1 week ago behind two clowns looking for golf balls on each hole.....no one was ahead of them....by the 4th hole...I was feed up and yelled at them....the clowns stopped looking for balls.

2) Played last Sat.....this clown that I've played with before a few times...he's in a 4some in front of us playing slow. I recognize him and start yelling at him by the 8th hole. On the 12th tee we catch up to him...and I start giving him crap for playing slow (we know each other)...he starts blaming the 2some in front are slow. On the 14th tee I can see there is no group in front of him. The clown is such a liar...lol.....I think he was gambling with a friend......seemed like they putted out everything.

CLOWNS, CLOWNS, CLOWNS!

5 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

Played 1 week ago behind two clowns looking for golf balls on each hole.....no one was ahead of them....by the 4th hole...I was feed up and yelled at them....the clowns stopped looking for balls.

Was it a scavenger hunt thing and they were looking for free balls?  Or was it their balls they were looking for?

6 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

These clowns are self serving and only care about themselves and no others....as I've said....I've seen it for 5 decades.

1) Played 1 week ago behind two clowns looking for golf balls on each hole.....no one was ahead of them....by the 4th hole...I was feed up and yelled at them....the clowns stopped looking for balls.

2) Played last Sat.....this clown that I've played with before a few times...he's in a 4some in front of us playing slow. I recognize him and start yelling at him by the 8th hole. On the 12th tee we catch up to him...and I start giving him crap for playing slow (we know each other)...he starts blaming the 2some in front are slow. On the 14th tee I can see there is no group in front of him. The clown is such a liar...lol.....I think he was gambling with a friend......seemed like they putted out everything.

CLOWNS, CLOWNS, CLOWNS!

Not sure how clowns can even see the golf ball given they have those big, red bulbous noses.

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

Was it a scavenger hunt thing and they were looking for free balls?  Or was it their balls they were looking for?

Old guys hawking for balls....I see it all the time here...also see some old women hawking balls too during play.

15 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

They should just hawk those yellow balls in a basket on the range...

They want to find ProV1's, TP5's, etc...but many are Koreans so they want to find Volvik's😂....lol.

So what courses do you often play in the Bellingham area?

I believe I've played them all...except for Bellingham G&CC.

The only reason to cross the border nowadays to play golf is to buy cheap gas and cheese at Costco.

7 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

So what courses do you often play in the Bellingham area?

I believe I've played them all...except for Bellingham G&CC.

Didn't realize you were a neighbor.  A couple of them are on here.  Lake Padden, Shuksan, Eaglemont, North Bellingham GC, Sudden Valley, Avalon... and yes, Bellingham G&CC.  I once played a course in Birch Bay, but it had duck poop all over it.  Closed now.

I once played golf at Shuksan with a Canadian gentleman who had only 22 putts.  Was that you?  😀

Edited by Double Mocha Man

47 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

I think he was gambling with a friend......seemed like they putted out everything.

What's wrong with putting out holes? I don't pick up the ball until it's at the bottom of the cup and I play fast. Now taking 2 minutes for <6ft putts I have seen and is absurd, but I don't think that there is anything inherently wrong with seeing the hole to completion.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Can confirm. Drive a car/motorcycle very cautiously, and think that 3 hours is too long for 18 (not really, but it is slower than I would like to play)

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

1) Didn't realize you were a neighbor.  A couple of them are on here.  Lake Padden, Shuksan, Eaglemont, North Bellingham GC, Sudden Valley, Avalon... and yes, Bellingham G&CC.  I once played a course in Birch Bay, but it had duck poop all over it.  Closed now.

2) I once played golf at Shuksan with a Canadian gentleman who had only 22 putts.  Was that you?  😀

1) Played them all.....I really like all the Bellingham courses....my least fav is NBGC....kinda boring but has the best winter conditions...Bellingham is a golf mecca......what??....no love for Homestead, Semiahmoo or Loomis Trail?

Semiahmoo is a dark horse resort that goes under the radar.....good for corporate shindigs too.

2) I might be Canadian but I'm no gentleman....you'd remember me if we played golf....I'm a Chinese POSER.🤣

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

What's wrong with putting out holes? I don't pick up the ball until it's at the bottom of the cup and I play fast. Now taking 2 minutes for <6ft putts I have seen and is absurd, but I don't think that there is anything inherently wrong with seeing the hole to completion.

If you watched them take 1+ minutes each over their 2 ft putts....you'd be yelling at them too.😝

Note: This thread is 1625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!