IGNORED

Should Divots Be Considered Ground Under Repair?

Foursum Golf

Should divot holes be considered GUR under the Rules of Golf?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Should divot holes be considered GUR under the Rules of Golf?

Yes I believe it is ground under repair because when a course puts sod down the grass is growing, same in a divot.

Rule 25 is titled "Abnormal Ground Conditions, Embedded Ball, and Wrong Putting Green."  Ground under repair comes under the heading of abnormal ground.  Divots and divot holes are not abnormal.  You will find them on every real golf course in the world.  Therefore they are as normal as grass or sand on a golf course.  No relief for normal conditions.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah I get that.

In my :cobra: Bio Bag ~Tyler Westra~
:cobra: Bio Cell Driver 10.5 Draw/Stiff
:cobra: S3 E9 face technology Irons 5-GW/Regular
:cobra: Amp Cell 3-4 Hybrid/Stiff
:mizuno: MP-T4 Wedges 55, 62
:scotty_cameron: Del Mar (With two 20g weights) Cut about 34 in. (SuperStroke Grip 5.0)
:bushnell: Tournament series Pro 1600 Rangefinder
Puma Shoes (Red&Black) (Red&White) (Size 11)

I don't like the rule, but I also know it will never be changed so better learn to hit out of em.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I don't like the rule, but I also know it will never be changed so better learn to hit out of em.

Which rule? Play the ball as it lies? ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Divots are part of the course. If a person wants to replace the divot it is up to them. Some courses require them to be sanded and seeded from a dispenser on the cart. Then they are now considered a bunker, so grounding the club. Nah I am joking on that one. The course isn't re-sodding the divots. They re-sod areas that die out or if they do any major work to the course. That is totally different than a 3 inch wide 6 inch long divot.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Which rule? Play the ball as it lies?

Yep that's the one, seriously though I just accept it and move on, the USGA's position is valid since it's not abnormal to see divots in a fairway.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

• 2 weeks later...

Comments from Tom Meeks

At Olympic, Payne Steward also had trouble with sand-filled divots, and on the 12th hole on Sunday I gave him a bad time for slow play. He was upset, and the following spring we met in Orlando to discuss things — sand-filled divots, hole locations, slow-play warnings, everything. Payne suggested to me that sand-filled divots be declared ground under repair. I told him such a local rule wasn't going to happen, and suggested — good-naturedly — that he might practice from sand-filled divots once in a while. Payne looked at the horizon for a while; you could see his mind spinning as he considered it. Finally he looked at me and said, "You're crazy."

After Payne died , Fred Funk told me the PGA Tour had a players meeting soon after Payne and I had met in Orlando. Tim Finchem asked if the players had any issues to discuss before moving on to the main agenda. Greg Norman stood up and said, "I think we should be permitted relief when a ball lands in a sand-filled divot." Before Finchem could answer, Payne jumped out of his chair on the other side of the room. "I disagree!" he said. "I think we should practice those shots." I thought, God bless Payne Stewart.

• Upvote 1

Comments from Tom Meeks

At Olympic, Payne Steward also had trouble with sand-filled divots, and on the 12th hole on Sunday I gave him a bad time for slow play. He was upset, and the following spring we met in Orlando to discuss things — sand-filled divots, hole locations, slow-play warnings, everything. Payne suggested to me that sand-filled divots be declared ground under repair. I told him such a local rule wasn't going to happen, and suggested — good-naturedly — that he might practice from sand-filled divots once in a while. Payne looked at the horizon for a while; you could see his mind spinning as he considered it. Finally he looked at me and said, "You're crazy."

After Payne died, Fred Funk told me the PGA Tour had a players meeting soon after Payne and I had met in Orlando. Tim Finchem asked if the players had any issues to discuss before moving on to the main agenda. Greg Norman stood up and said, "I think we should be permitted relief when a ball lands in a sand-filled divot." Before Finchem could answer, Payne jumped out of his chair on the other side of the room. "I disagree!" he said. "I think we should practice those shots." I thought, God bless Payne Stewart.

Yes indeed!! He said a lot of good things, and it means a lot to my dad to have his autograph.

In my :cobra: Bio Bag ~Tyler Westra~
:cobra: Bio Cell Driver 10.5 Draw/Stiff
:cobra: S3 E9 face technology Irons 5-GW/Regular
:cobra: Amp Cell 3-4 Hybrid/Stiff
:mizuno: MP-T4 Wedges 55, 62
:scotty_cameron: Del Mar (With two 20g weights) Cut about 34 in. (SuperStroke Grip 5.0)
:bushnell: Tournament series Pro 1600 Rangefinder
Puma Shoes (Red&Black) (Red&White) (Size 11)

Comments from Tom Meeks

After Payne died, Fred Funk told me the PGA Tour had a players meeting soon after Payne and I had met in Orlando. Tim Finchem asked if the players had any issues to discuss before moving on to the main agenda. Greg Norman stood up and said, "I think we should be permitted relief when a ball lands in a sand-filled divot." Before Finchem could answer, Payne jumped out of his chair on the other side of the room. "I disagree!" he said. "I think we should practice those shots." I thought, God bless Payne Stewart.

That is a good story.

Will W

Comments from Tom Meeks

Great story about one if my all time favorite players.  A guy who came on Tour as something of a brat, but then remade himself into one of the real gentlemen in the game.  Thanks for this anecdote. :beer:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
Rub of the green. In friendly games and small money tourneys its usually clean and place in fairways now. So divots irrelevant unless you are in the rough.

Rub of the green is a defined term. It doesn't just mean "bad luck."

I'm sorry to hear about the cheating in your friendly games and tourneys.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Rub of the green is a defined term. It doesn't just mean "bad luck." I'm sorry to hear about the cheating in your friendly games and tourneys.

Most mini tours use lift clean place to equalize the courses that sre not tour pristine. So when you have almost 100 mini tour pros putting up almost 1,000 bucks, thats the rule usually. Face it tour pros play the best maintained courses in the world, and the guys trying to become pros are all on mini tours with courses not pristine and they usually lift clean and place. If you are used to pristine coursrs you know the terrible shape most courses are in.

• Administrator
Uhm, no. You've not said very much accurate here or in your other thread. Rules are rules and I'll follow them. If my ball ends up in a bad spot, I play it as it lies. To do anything else is to cheat.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Uhm, no. You've not said very much accurate here or in your other thread. Rules are rules and I'll follow them. If my ball ends up in a bad spot, I play it as it lies. To do anything else is to cheat.

I play daily, plus a few times a week it's in 20-100 man fields where most of the guys are or were pros. It's lift clean n place short hair. Most of other rounds with pga pros of various levels. LCP is the norm, granted its Sfl where courses are built over swamps, but that's how we all play. So when everyone is doing LCP it's not cheating as some say, its some of the best golfers in Sfl playing on courses that are usually abnormal ground conditions since every drive is either embedded or loaded with mud.

• Administrator

I play daily, plus a few times a week it's in 20-100 man fields where most of the guys are or were pros. It's lift clean n place short hair. Most of other rounds with pga pros of various levels. LCP is the norm, granted its Sfl where courses are built over swamps, but that's how we all play.

Right, so you all cheat. Either that or you're just playing a game resembling golf. Golf has rules, and you choose not to follow them.

We get it already.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Uhm, no. You've not said very much accurate here or in your other thread. Rules are rules and I'll follow them. If my ball ends up in a bad spot, I play it as it lies.

To do anything else is to cheat.

I play daily, plus a few times a week it's in 20-100 man fields where most of the guys are or were pros. It's lift clean n place short hair. Most of other rounds with pga pros of various levels. LCP is the norm, granted its Sfl where courses are built over swamps, but that's how we all play.

So when everyone is doing LCP it's not cheating as some say, its some of the best golfers in Sfl playing on courses that are usually abnormal ground conditions since every drive is either embedded or loaded with mud.

Of course, do what you like.

However, you'll not get much sympathy nor change any minds here, simply because this is a Rules folder not a What Kind of White Belt Do You Wear folder. Most here choose to play by the Rules.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB