IGNORED

Why Don't You Take Lessons?

Note: This thread is 3177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

She is right....95% of the instructors out there only want to get the money. The other 5% are like Ledbetter or McClain and BIG $$$$.

They have a few things to tell you (that your golfing partners could tell you)

and mess around with a computer for one hour or 1/2 hour then there done with you

they don't really care if you improve or not, you are out of here and someone else

is next. They don't teach you how to do movements they just tell you what you are not doing.

I have been playing for 25 years and taken many lessons hoping I will run across someone

who can really get me playing better, not pro, just better. Through all the lessons I have learned

the golf swing and fix myself after going to the range and grinding it out.

Philip

That's disappointing you've had some bad experiences but there are some good ones out there (one of them replied to your post). The past several years I've gotten to know some dedicated instructors that genuinely care about their students. Spending extra time with them, answering emails/phone calls, interacting with other instructors online after work, thinking up drills on their free time.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The only reason why I am not begging for lessons is that I still haven't finished my homework yet. I have at least one major thing I need to get rid of, and I already know what I need to fix from my last lesson. No point in wasting my instructors time only to state the obvious. Plus, this site has people like my instructor and Erik commenting on my swing videos to keep me busy.

Good lessons are like that, they teach you to teach yourself until you're ready to work on the problem. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I am just starting out golfing; taking my second lesson tonight, actually

For me, I can't understand why people don't take lessons.  I'm 29, so I could theoretically play golf for another 40+ years.  That's a long time!  Anyone who is "too busy" or "doesn't have the money" for lessons is kidding themselves.  I will dump far more time and money into playing golf than I will learning how to play golf.  Even if you're in your 50s and just getting started, you have a lot of life in front of you.  Take a few hours and get lessons instead of jumping straight into 18 holes.

:adams:  XTD Ti Driver 12* Stiff flex

:adams:  XTD Ti 4H 23* Stiff flex

:ping:  G10 4-W +1" Stiff flex

:odyssey:  White Hot Pro Havok 35"

For me, I can't understand why people don't take lessons.  I'm 29, so I could theoretically play golf for another 40+ years.  That's a long time!  Anyone who is "too busy" or "doesn't have the money" for lessons is kidding themselves.  I will dump far more time and money into playing golf than I will learning how to play golf.  Even if you're in your 50s and just getting started, you have a lot of life in front of you.  Take a few hours and get lessons instead of jumping straight into 18 holes.

Good for you. I agree that it just doesn't make sense to try to figure out all the wrong stuff for 25-40 plus years.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMal

For me, I can't understand why people don't take lessons.  I'm 29, so I could theoretically play golf for another 40+ years.  That's a long time!  Anyone who is "too busy" or "doesn't have the money" for lessons is kidding themselves.  I will dump far more time and money into playing golf than I will learning how to play golf.  Even if you're in your 50s and just getting started, you have a lot of life in front of you.  Take a few hours and get lessons instead of jumping straight into 18 holes.

Good for you. I agree that it just doesn't make sense to try to figure out all the wrong stuff for 25-40 plus years.

In my first hour lessons we worked on my foundation and stance.  By the time I left, I was holding the club and standing at address completely differently than I was when I got there.  And I'm fairly confident I would not have got there on my own...maybe with instruction from a peer or someone, but that's not guaranteed.  And how long would that have taken me to correct something as basic as my stance?  Compare that to what we covered in the first 20 minutes of a lesson.

Again, for a beginner, I think it's good money spent.  I think I will be "course ready" and confident way sooner than if I went at it alone.

:adams:  XTD Ti Driver 12* Stiff flex

:adams:  XTD Ti 4H 23* Stiff flex

:ping:  G10 4-W +1" Stiff flex

:odyssey:  White Hot Pro Havok 35"

• Administrator

I believe most instructors are capable of providing good instruction to the beginner or inexperienced golfer after fundementals (well, i hope so anyway)

If you're taking "most" to mean 51%, then… sure. I'd probably agree. If you mean 80%, we might start to disagree… :)

What I agree with is this:

"They don't teach you how to do movements they just tell you what you are not doing".

I don't agree with that.

I teach people how to do the proper movements all the time . It's the biggest thing I do. If you're not learning how to do the proper motion, then what are you really doing with the lesson?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My goal is to get to single digit hcp one day ... that's it.    I have no aspirations of competing,    I took up golf too late in life.  Bad back, so I'll never be a really long hitter.   To me, it's a personal quest ...no offense to the instructors of the world, but if I can accomplish my goal singlehandedly without lessons, it will mean a lot more to me.  If I was younger & really wanted to compete, sure lessons would make sense ... but to me, the personal challenge of it all is the fun part.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I'm taking lessons this year, but in the past there have been years were I haven't taken lessons because I was playing bogey golf and I was fine with that. Golf is sometimes just an excuse to get off the couch and do something.

Yea, understood....

So far at least 3 of the "PGA Apprentice" 's I used had many issues fooling around with the computer software and getting it to do what he wanted to show.

That took almost 1/3 of the hour just right there! Asking someone else questions about the software, how to do something, rebooting, etc. (GOLFTEC) $100 a pop!

Another PGA Instructor ( Gregg Rogers' Golf) kept trying to get me in positions a 20 year old can get into, but not me, I am 69 I am very athletic but not THAT much.

Yet another instructor (Bellevue Golf Course) told me I must drive my right knee into my left knee to get my hips to turn, I see some pros on TV doing that but not

most, it's just someone's move that works for them, when I try that I MISS the ball completely, lol....

But it's fun don't take me wrong, I never quit, just glad I can go to the range and work on different motions that get the ball going straight again.

Philip

If you're taking "most" to mean 51%, then… sure. I'd probably agree. If you mean 80%, we might start to disagree… :)

I somehow get the feeling you're not a fan of a good chunk of the instructors out there Erik! ;-)

The worst from a high handicappers point of view are those that appear in the magazines giving contradictory advice. Only in the last 2 months or so in the same mag one pro advised that the interlock grip was the best, then a month later another said you should always use an overlap grip. I dont take notice of most of it to be fair but it could sure cause confusion. If advice is given in mags at least make it consistent!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

• Administrator

I somehow get the feeling you're not a fan of a good chunk of the instructors out there Erik!

You've been a member here long enough to know how I feel about that stuff… :-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You've been a member here long enough to know how I feel about that stuff… :-)

Very true. Just glad we have guys here who a) know what they are talking about, and b) are always happy to help and advise.

on another point re lessons and either havin them or not, there seems to be a huge difference in prices. I checked 3 places near where i live, all with fully quilified PGA Pro's and i was suprised.

Bradley Park GC - £18 for 30mins

Willow Valley G &CC; - £45 for 30 mins

Direct Golf - £25 for 30mins

A case of "you get what you pay for" or just money grabbing from the higher prices instructors?

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

• Administrator

Bradley Park GC - £18 for 30mins

Willow Valley G &CC; - £45 for 30 mins

Direct Golf - £25 for 30mins

A case of "you get what you pay for" or just money grabbing from the higher prices instructors?

Instruction is almost never "you get what you pay for." You could get better lessons for $40 than you get for $400.

People think that it's "you get what you pay for." Golf instruction is weird - you'll often get more lessons by charging MORE money.

Instruction is almost never "you get what you pay for." You could get better lessons for $40 than you get for $400. People think that it's "you get what you pay for." Golf instruction is weird - you'll often get more lessons by charging MORE money.

It is like this in many fields, weirdly enough. The more you charge as an attorney, the better you look.

i definitely dont get lessons becasue the thing i need to work on is consistency. see i know when i have a good swing and when i have a bad swing, and how i hit the ball, where i hit on the face, and face angle, club path, and everything when i hit it. i Dont need someone to tell me that. i just need to not do that. and it comes down to my preparation before each shot and then performing exactly what i know i need to to get that ball going toward the target. Thats why i don't get lessons. Once you start to play around with your swing and feel how different swings should feel you will get a sense of feel around your swing and that is fantastic thing in golf when you can really feel how you are supposed to swing. Lesson will certainly tell me how i am supposed to hit the ball and what i should do but essentially i already know that and just need to try and replicate it. a golf pro cant replicate my own swing for me.

"Swing with a Purpose" 

What's In The Bag:
Woods: Driver: RBZ stage 2 10* 3 wood: RBZ 15* 5 wood: NIke vapor speed 19*
Irons/ wedges: Rbladez tour 4-PW; Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 56*, CG11 60*
Putter: Odyssey White ice #9

i definitely dont get lessons becasue the thing i need to work on is consistency. see i know when i have a good swing and when i have a bad swing, and how i hit the ball, where i hit on the face, and face angle, club path, and everything when i hit it. i Dont need someone to tell me that. i just need to not do that. and it comes down to my preparation before each shot and then performing exactly what i know i need to to get that ball going toward the target. Thats why i don't get lessons. Once you start to play around with your swing and feel how different swings should feel you will get a sense of feel around your swing and that is fantastic thing in golf when you can really feel how you are supposed to swing. Lesson will certainly tell me how i am supposed to hit the ball and what i should do but essentially i already know that and just need to try and replicate it. a golf pro cant replicate my own swing for me.

I think you would have a hard time seeing a difference between your "good" and "bad" swings. Most people (myself included) have a very consistent swing. Just not a good one....

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Kasper

I think you would have a hard time seeing a difference between your "good" and "bad" swings.

Most people (myself included) have a very consistent swing. Just not a good one....

Yes, and there's a whole thread dedicated to this. It's easier to have someone watch what you are doing. Someone that knows what they are doing. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Currently not taking lessons due to my previous instructor being semi-retired, he is only working with members at his private club and I am not a member. Finding a good instructor is difficult. I've had a lot of one and done lessons. Probably going to go it alone for a while.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 3177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!