IGNORED

Riddle and Puzzle Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3018 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

:censored:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All I can say is: "Oops".

To be fair, we responded at the same time. It just took longer for me to compose my response than you. :-X

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

All I can say is: "Oops".

To be fair, we responded at the same time. It just took longer for me to compose my response than you.

It's all good.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

No, and hopefully no one else explains it either. You just need to get out more!

LOL, fair enough.  I have seen the Lord of the Rings ... however, I don't remember much about it, didn't really pay attention to the second, didn't see the third at all, haven't watched or read any of the Hobbits, don't care to ... have I offended you enough for one day??? :-P

LOL, fair enough.  I have seen the Lord of the Rings ... however, I don't remember much about it, didn't really pay attention to the second, didn't see the third at all, haven't watched or read any of the Hobbits, don't care to ... have I offended you enough for one day???

Not at all. I'm not a massive LOTR fan*. I think Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" series blows LOTR out of the water. Now that'll offend some people, some hobbit loving pansies anyway... :w00t:

*In fact, truth be told, I'm not sure I ever read the books all the way through… :sleep: …Jordon's books on the other hand :bugout: ...

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• Administrator

:offtopic:

BTW, I could have sworn the answer for the cylinder/sphere thing was an even number times pi or something (in inches cubed since it's volume).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

BTW, I could have sworn the answer for the cylinder/sphere thing was an even number times pi or something (in inches cubed since it's volume).

So, it can be simplified.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Not at all. I'm not a massive LOTR fan*. I think Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" series blows LOTR out of the water. Now that'll offend some people, some hobbit loving pansies anyway...

*In fact, truth be told, I'm not sure I ever read the books all the way through……Jordon's books on the other hand ...

Interesting, I will have to read those books.  I know this is OT.  Maybe I will start a new thread.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

That's not really a riddle, though. It's more like a math problem.

yeah - that's why I offered the other one.  So people can keep posting other puzzles.

I'll go pull a few real riddles too.  Though we seem fond of solving puzzles instead.

Lihu - here's your hint - the answer doesn't matter on the radius.  (i.e., if the cylinder is like a tennis tube you get the same answer as if the cylinder proportioned like a hockey puck.  height of the cyclinder defines the whole problem.  now go find the limit on one end)

Bill - 

• Administrator

I'll go pull a few real riddles too.  Though we seem fond of solving puzzles instead.

Yeah, I renamed the thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

OK - I have a riddle.

Most golfers really seem to be mis-informed about one aspect of their swing.

Discuss - I offer this picture as evidence.

I'M JUST KIDDING

Quote:

"BTW, I could have sworn the answer for the cylinder/sphere thing was an even number times pi or something (in inches cubed since it's volume)."

Yes it is.  Once you realize that the diameter doesn't matter, then the quickest answer is use the "pinhole" cyclinder config.  Then it's pretty much a sphere where Hcyl approaches the Diameter of the sphere.

4/3pi r^3 = 4/3 pi 3^3 = 36 pi

if you solve it with the sphere volume (minus) the cylinder (minus) the end caps - it reduces to the same - a single function of 'h' only (little r and big R all simplify

so the answer works for a bead with a diameter nearly the height of the cylinder, or a huge thin ring shape with a diameter a lot larger than the height of same

Bill - 

I don't know any more riddles by heart so I had to go searching for them.  Here is a fairly simple one:

In the middle of a round pool lies a beautiful water lily. The water lily doubles in size every day. After exactly 20 days, the lily will cover the complete pool.

After how many days will the water lily cover half of the pool ?

OK - I have a riddle.

Most golfers really seem to be mis-informed about one aspect of their swing.

Discuss - I offer this picture as evidence.

I'M JUST KIDDING

Not looking at your answer, I am going to look at it tonight.

So, most golfers are misinformed about having a "pancake at the top of a cute furry animal"?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I don't know any more riddles by heart so I had to go searching for them.  Here is a fairly simple one:

In the middle of a round pool lies a beautiful water lily. The water lily doubles in size every day. After exactly 20 days, the lily will cover the complete pool.

After how many days will the water lily cover half of the pool?

19 days.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Not looking at your answer, I am going to look at it tonight.

So, most golfers are misinformed about having a "pancake at the top of a cute furry animal"?

Obviously ... seeing as how that is clearly at least 2 pancakes. :-P

@David in FL your "punishment" for getting that so easily is that you have to give one back! :beer:

Looks like dorayaki to me.

Also, if there's no open riddle, I'll fire this simple one to get the thread going:

OTTFF. What are the next four letters in the sequence?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

SSEN I am light as a feather, but the strongest man cannot hold me for long

Breath. "The man who invented me does not want me, the man who bought me does not need me, the man who needs me does not know."

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Note: This thread is 3018 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!