• Announcements

• iacas

GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bmartin461

What to work on in 2014

14 posts in this topic

Based on my stats (last 10 rounds), what would you recommend?

Fairways Hit: 46%

GIR: 18%

Scrambling: 17%

Putt Avg: 1.8

Par 3 Avg: 4.1

Par 4 Avg: 5.2

Par 5 Avg: 6.0

Current HC: 15.8

I think GIR & Scrambling are lower then they should be for this HC.

I would like to get to a 12 HC by July.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Looks like you were the highest percentage over par on par 3s.  Same here.  Hitting the par 3 greens in regulation will help your score.  I tracked par-3 hole scores for 2 seasons.  Horrendous.  Something I did discover was that any holes over 160 yards were killing me.  Add hybrid on par-3 tee shots and I was looking at 5 or sometimes worse.

I'll spend an hour at a local range once a week hitting my #5 and 4 hybrids to 160-175 yard targets.  Still, I'm lucky to hit the target one out of 5 swings.  No wonder par-3s continue to kill my scores and keep my hdcp at 16 or so.

Your short game looks solid based on your stats, but can always improve.  I also believe that improving your short game around the greens AND from 100 yards in is the best way to keep bad stuff from showing up on the card.

Good luck and let us know where improvement comes from.

dave

Figure out why you are getting 18% GIR and fix that to get biggest move in your handicap. Coming out of the rough, no shot at the green, too far out to hit a higher percentage club?

This is the part of my game that needs the most work for me, so I'm a bit focused on it. I actually need to learn to grab the correct club more often.

I'm not sure if this thread is more of a question on what people think OP should work on or if it's about what people plan on working on themselves.  I'm going to presume it's the latter.

I'm going to work on becoming a better ball striker this offseason.

I just got a net for Christmas so between that and signing up for an Evolvr account, I think this could be accomplished.  It certainly can't get worse.

This is my first year playing golf so I only kept an unofficial handicap which is 32.8 and these are my stats over the last 10 holes:

Fairways Hit: 60.71%

GIR: 6%

Scrambling: 3%

Putt Avg: 2.0

Par 3 Avg: 4.65

Par 4 Avg: 6.60

Par 5 Avg: 6.84

I'm really bad at golf.

Tempo, tempo, tempo. Tempo like Phil Mickelson. To me his tempo is perfect. It's not too fast and, more important, NOT TOO SLOW. . I think lot of amatures take "take it back deliberately and slow" literally and they take their back swing way too slow and never generate enough swing momentum.

[QUOTE]Looks like you were the highest percentage over par on par 3s. Same here. Hitting the par 3 greens in regulation will help your score.[/QUOTE] This is true, I have a hard time with clubhead control, so I'm never sure the ball is going to go where it should. I'm going to dedicate some time each range session to hitting fades and draws with a 7i - 9i. [QUOTE]Figure out why you are getting 18% GIR and fix that to get biggest move in your handicap. Coming out of the rough, no shot at the green, too far out to hit a higher percentage club?[/QUOTE] 100% it's off the tee for me, I cannot get the driver consistent nor can I rely on the 3W or 3H. I'm going to work on hitting 5 good shots with the 3H, then my 3W, then my driver, not moving on until I reach 5 good shots.

I'd say GIR for sure.  You say the problem is your tee shots but 46% FIR isn't bad.  I think this past year I had 41% FIR and 32% GIR.  I think you should look at what happens when you hit the fairway then miss the green.  Are you hitting too many fat shots or topping it?

I'd say GIR for sure.  You say the problem is your tee shots but 46% FIR isn't bad.  I think this past year I had 41% FIR and 32% GIR.  I think you should look at what happens when you hit the fairway then miss the green.  Are you hitting too many fat shots or topping it?

I would say I rarely top it anymore, maybe 1 out of 20. What my misses are though are short, left, right etc of the green. This comes from not having good control in the 125-160 range as well as no consistency under 100 yrds. Also, I don't ever hit knock down shots, but rather take the full swing club for the distance at hand, I think this is a mistake I need to work on.

My experience is high handicappers tend to select clubs for approach shots based on their "best" shots not reality. For example I suffer from slight mishits more often than I do the odd good strike. As a result my north to south dispersion varies quite a bit. To combat it as I improve I tend to be cautious and club up and swing easy. I've found I miss the green less long than I do short and my GIR improved. I had to be honest with myself after noticing when I was leaving it short and missing GIR it was typically more than one club short.

My experience is high handicappers tend to select clubs for approach shots based on their "best" shots not reality. For example I suffer from slight mishits more often than I do the odd good strike. As a result my north to south dispersion varies quite a bit. To combat it as I improve I tend to be cautious and club up and swing easy. I've found I miss the green less long than I do short and my GIR improved. I had to be honest with myself after noticing when I was leaving it short and missing GIR it was typically more than one club short.

That is excellent advice. Thanks!

In my opinion, GIR's are the single most important stat to lowering your score. At least that has been my experience. Granted, GIR's can be traced back to other stats such as fairways hit (which you are doing fairly well on), so it's likely that if you have a high GIR percentage then you are doing multiple things right. However, if you give yourself two putts to make par it will significantly lower your score. It doesn't matter if you are barely on the green and have a 40 footer, just give yourself two putts. Forget the flag placement and always go for the middle of the green, giving yourself the most room for error. Brace yourself to see your average putts per hole go up because they will. You are going to 3 putt some and that's okay, but every once in a while you will knock one close for a birdie or sink a 20 footer for that one putt. Regardless, a GIR significantly increases your chances to make par, and essentially limits your worst case to a bogey.

If you can strive to double that GIR percentage, you essentially are giving yourself 6 pars per round. Maybe you blow one with a 3 putt or maybe you knock down a birdie, but it will average out close to 6 pars per round. Then based on your current scrambling percentage, you will pick up another 2 pars from the remaining 12 holes. If you can play the remaining 10 holes at just a +1 average, you end up around a 10 handicap... I know it's easier to type it out here online than it is to execute on the course, but it allows you to see how important hitting those GIR's are. Just hitting 1 out of every 3 greens will gain you three strokes per round and get you near that 12 handicap that you are striving for.

Not only is opportunity on your side with GIR but it certainly doesn't tax the brain as much as batting it all over the course. A 3 putt bogey is more awe shucks than whew I avoided disaster when you save one. The quality of golf is different even if the result is the same. Easier to remain confident because as Maddog10 said, you're doing more than one thing right.

Based on my stats (last 10 rounds), what would you recommend?

Fairways Hit: 46%

GIR: 18%

Scrambling: 17%

Putt Avg: 1.8

Par 3 Avg: 4.1

Par 4 Avg: 5.2

Par 5 Avg: 6.0

Current HC: 15.8

I think GIR & Scrambling are lower then they should be for this HC.

Yeah gotta get the GIR's better.  Haven't seen your swing in a while but I'm guessing it's a Key #1 or 2 issue.  Check out some good drills here, especially the "squash the ball" drill.

Yeah gotta get the GIR's better.  Haven't seen your swing in a while but I'm guessing it's a Key #1 or 2 issue.  Check out some good drills here, especially the "squash the ball" drill.

Thanks for the input Mike. I'll post a updated swing video soon. Brad