IGNORED

Darren Clarke loses 40+ pounds w/an assist from...

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.gundersenhealth.org/upload/docs/Archived/2007Meal.pdf

It is the urban legend of food intake Mazzamouth. Repeating stories suddenly makes it true. It would seem like it would be a logical assumption to eat more frequently, but it is not the case. Since I started the intermittent fasting or "warrior diet", it has freed up a lot of my time worrying about meals. I can eat pretty much anything healthy, as much as I want and maintain my weight, with no cardio activity. Do I recommend no cardio, no, but I would would only recommend it a few days a week. I primarily weight train to burn calories and hopefully walk the golf course soon. There is way more to "just not eating" so do your research before jumping into the intermittent fasting. HIIT workouts are highly recommended to compliment the diet.

If you are getting your advice from fitness rags, you have to realize they are funded by supplement companies that sell protein bars, powders and meal replacements. They are not going to tell you to eat less. They are selling shit, just like golf mags.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You have no idea. "You're" wrong. You fill up your "tank" with your last meal at night. With frequent eating, it has been shown that the metabolism only increases during eating and "stores" whatever you do do use and shuts down.  I know I properly feed my body and actually there are a ton of benefits to doing the fasting diet.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html  This is not the only person with information on the diet.

I only do the two 600-800 cal days when I want to lose weight.

FYI: your body functions nothing like a car

@Valleygolfer ,

According to T-Rex, in the song Bang a Gong , " You're built like a car, you've got a hub cap diamond star halo".  So we do, in fact, function like a car.  I'm not sure what a hub cap diamond star halo is though.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

[QUOTE name="Valleygolfer" url="/t/71919/darren-clarke-loses-40-pounds-w-an-assist-from/18#post_942001"]   You have no idea. "You're" wrong. You fill up your "tank" with your last meal at night. With frequent eating, it has been shown that the metabolism only increases during eating and "stores" whatever you do do use and shuts down.  I know I properly feed my body and actually there are a ton of benefits to doing the fasting diet. [URL=http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html]http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html[/URL]  This is not the only person with information on the diet. I only do the two 600-800 cal days when I want to lose weight. FYI: your body functions nothing like a car [/QUOTE] @Valleygolfer , According to T-Rex, in the song Bang a Gong , [SIZE=13px]"[/SIZE][SIZE=13px]You're built like a car, you've got a hub cap diamond star halo".  So we do, in fact, function like a car.  I'm not sure what a hub cap diamond star halo is though. [/SIZE]

Well if a song says it, I stand corrected...

Learned something today. I've always believed that eating throughout the day helped with metabolism. Guess I bought into the myth. But maybe it helps someone like me to keep an even balance on my hunger, and I'm less likely to pig out when I eat. I've got blood sugar issues (have since I'm a kid) and have learned to eat in a way that helps me.

It's very obvious reading this thread that diet is a lightning rod. Never thought of it that way. Seems silly to argue over it. If it works for you, why would you care if anyone else has a technique that works for them? Guess it really is more like religion than I'd ever realized.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour | 3W: Callaway X Hot Pro | Irons: Mizuno JPX-800 Pro X100 SS | Wedges: Vokey SM 54-08, Vokey Raw 60-12 | Putter (of the week): Arnold Palmer "The Original" 33"

Learned something today. I've always believed that eating throughout the day helped with metabolism. Guess I bought into the myth. But maybe it helps someone like me to keep an even balance on my hunger, and I'm less likely to pig out when I eat. I've got blood sugar issues (have since I'm a kid) and have learned to eat in a way that helps me.

It's very obvious reading this thread that diet is a lightning rod. Never thought of it that way. Seems silly to argue over it. If it works for you, why would you care if anyone else has a technique that works for them? Guess it really is more like religion than I'd ever realized.

Because people believe if someone else some how gets away with doing it another way it invalidates their whole dogma. What can you do when the media has dictated that the world shall be black and white, yes and no, right or wrong, when its actually just many shades of gray.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I like my method, work hard, play hard. I will gladly spend extra time in the gym to drink beer and enjoy good food. Though most of the time I eat clean but only because it's all I've even done. Fortunate to have grown up with a mom that cooked using fresh products. Seems like any time you seem someone advocating something extreme it's some fitness noob that just climbed out of a box of mac 'n cheese lifestyle. I know people that spent decades eating whatever in ignorance.

Dave :-)

Anyone know the specifics of Clarke's workout regiment??

Thx

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

2 quick points: 2) Almost nothing in nutrition is scientifically proven.  You can tell by the frequency with which the conventional wisdom changes.  We should be a little humble and remember that bleeding someone that was sick was also once the conventional wisdom. JMHO

This^2.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

This^2.

Leeches are still used:

These days, leeches are used to help heal skin grafts -- the process for treating burns in which blood tissue is transferred from one part of the body to another -- by removing blood pooled under the graft and restoring blood circulation in blocked veins. They've also been used in reattaching fingers and other body parts [sources: MSNBC , PBS ].

To feed, a leech attaches itself to a human or animal through suckers at each end of its body and then eats its host's blood. Leeches can eat six to eight times their body weight, but rather than sinking to the bottom of the body of water they live in because of such a fully belly, leeches produce a natural anticoagulant or blood thinner, which keeps the blood in them from thickening and clotting and allows them to stay mobile [source: PBS ].

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Leeches are still used:

These days, leeches are used to help heal skin grafts -- the process for treating burns in which blood tissue is transferred from one part of the body to another -- by removing blood pooled under the graft and restoring blood circulation in blocked veins. They've also been used in reattaching fingers and other body parts [sources: MSNBC, PBS].

To feed, a leech attaches itself to a human or animal through suckers at each end of its body and then eats its host's blood. Leeches can eat six to eight times their body weight, but rather than sinking to the bottom of the body of water they live in because of such a fully belly, leeches produce a natural anticoagulant or blood thinner, which keeps the blood in them from thickening and clotting and allows them to stay mobile [source: PBS].

But how do they taste barbecued?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

But how do they taste barbecued?

I'd imagine like chicken….

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I don't follow a specific diet (Paleo, etc.) but I tend to follow the philosophy of "If I didn't live in a modern society, what kind of foods would I eat?"  I probably wouldn't be baking bread and loading up on flour products (bread/pasta), so I keep those to a minimum.  I see no problem eating fruits (some "no carb" diets recommend against them) and it just makes sense to me.  I hardly ever drink soft drinks (though Dr. Pepper is my nemesis), drink mostly water and coffee, milk with dinner, and will not deny myself beer on golf/bowling night.

Unless you have some weird metabolic quirk, despite what they might say, every single person who is over weight knows why.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Unless you have some weird metabolic quirk, despite what they might say, every single person who is over weight knows why.

My experience is they usually don't. Some don't know any better because of poor parenting, they were never taught to eat well and don't know how to cook. The ignorant tend to gauge how much they eat by the size and classification of the food. Too many mistake eating healthy with eating less. Another thing I've witnessed is I've never met an obese person that didn't have some kind of food hangup. Their diets are extremely limited because somewhere along the way they decided they don't like this or that.

My experience is they usually don't. Some don't know any better because of poor parenting, they were never taught to eat well and don't know how to cook. The ignorant tend to gauge how much they eat by the size and classification of the food. Too many mistake eating healthy with eating less. Another thing I've witnessed is I've never met an obese person that didn't have some kind of food hangup. Their diets are extremely limited because somewhere along the way they decided they don't like this or that.

They may not admit it, but I think most do.  My one buddy is 5'2" and is not grossly obese, but he's 195 pounds, which is way too much for his height.  He readily admits that he'll down a SLEEVE (what is that, 12-16 cookies) of Oreos before bed and he eats a lot of pasta because they are always on the go and too lazy to fire up the crock pot in the morning or plan ahead.  You can cook some grilled chicken breasts and microwave some broccoli faster than heating up water and boiling pasta.  Even people with food hang-ups know things like vegetables are things they should eat - yet they load up their plate with pasta, potatoes, etc. and eat until their stomach hurts.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

1) Most people grossly underestimate how much they eat. They have no clue the calories they are eating.

2) Most people do not have a metabolic problem.

3) You just can't exercise yourself to good health. Though studies have shown that you lower your risk of heart disease if you do some moderate level of cardio every week. They studied two groups of overweight people, and those who worked out and still were overweight were more healthy. Still being active and at the proper weight helps a lot more.

4) Most people will claim to be at a health weight when they are actually overweight. Meaning they are use to seeing a culture of unhealthy people. This isn't the whole, every magazine has a sexy girl on it. Its the fact that people are just use to seeing large than normal people. This changes their perspective. My friends went over to Europe for a vacation, came back and were shocked about how fat American's are. It took a different view to get them to realize the drastic change in body size.

5) The food industry is designed to engineer food to be tasty and want us to crave them. Salty + Fatty + Carbs = addictive. Especially if you look at sugar and sweeteners which activate the same areas in the brain that cocaine does.

6) People have access to massive amounts of food. We do not have to go kill our food anymore. We don't have to worry about starvation. Meaning it is paramount that people be aware of what they are eating and why. People eat because they are emotional. They eat because it gives us pleasure to. All these things cause overeating. Basically the deck is stacked against use big time in trying to control what we eat.

As for Glutten, carbs, fat, protein. What ever, the major concern is portion control. Given all the additives and chemicals in processed foods don't show up on the scale, but I don't think they are good for the body in the long run. Who knows if all that crap is causing Alzheimer's. The food industry will claim ignorance, and the fact no study shows it. Yet, this type of damage could not have enough sample size for a few generations.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1) Most people grossly underestimate how much they eat. They have no clue the calories they are eating.

3) You just can't exercise yourself to good health. Though studies have shown that you lower your risk of heart disease if you do some moderate level of cardio every week. They studied two groups of overweight people, and those who worked out and still were overweight were more healthy. Still being active and at the proper weight helps a lot more.

4) Most people will claim to be at a health weight when they are actually overweight. Meaning they are use to seeing a culture of unhealthy people. This isn't the whole, every magazine has a sexy girl on it. Its the fact that people are just use to seeing large than normal people. This changes their perspective. My friends went over to Europe for a vacation, came back and were shocked about how fat American's are. It took a different view to get them to realize the drastic change in body size.

5) The food industry is designed to engineer food to be tasty and want us to crave them. Salty + Fatty + Carbs = addictive. Especially if you look at sugar and sweeteners which activate the same areas in the brain that cocaine does.

6) People have access to massive amounts of food. We do not have to go kill our food anymore. We don't have to worry about starvation. Meaning it is paramount that people be aware of what they are eating and why. People eat because they are emotional. They eat because it gives us pleasure to. All these things cause overeating. Basically the deck is stacked against use big time in trying to control what we eat.

As for Glutten, carbs, fat, protein. What ever, the major concern is portion control. Given all the additives and chemicals in processed foods don't show up on the scale, but I don't think they are good for the body in the long run. Who knows if all that crap is causing Alzheimer's. The food industry will claim ignorance, and the fact no study shows it. Yet, this type of damage could not have enough sample size for a few generations.

I agree with pretty much everything you say except the portion control part. Without knowledge portion control is a tough way to monitor calorie intake. Example 6 cups of broccoli is about 180 calories. One oz of nuts about 170.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

I agree with pretty much everything you say except the portion control part. Without knowledge portion control is a tough way to monitor calorie intake. Example 6 cups of broccoli is about 180 calories. One oz of nuts about 170.

Portion amounts are on every product. People prefer not to know or lazy are about it. Weight control is about discipline. Regardless of how you do it, you can lose weight in many ways and what I was trying to make a point about earlier is that some of the information out there makes it more work to lose the weight than it needs to. I took off over 20 lbs in 2 1/2 months with intermittent fasting. It was easy and it was not like I was highly overweight.

Portion amounts are on every product. People prefer not to know or lazy are about it. Weight control is about discipline. Regardless of how you do it, you can lose weight in many ways and what I was trying to make a point about earlier is that some of the information out there makes it more work to lose the weight than it needs to. I took off over 20 lbs in 2 1/2 months with intermittent fasting. It was easy and it was not like I was highly overweight.

Not true. Ever seen nutrition information on bulk products. What if you don't have a scale and purchase fresh meats. Even if you have a scale how many would know the calorie difference between 4 oz of pork loin and 7 oz of sirloin. How do you portion out the pot roast your wife tosses in the crock-pot. Before any of that needs to be addressed someone would have to have an idea of what their daily nutritional needs are, the 2000 cal a day thing is vague and really doesn't work these days. Point is people eyeball portions and it's tough to judge calories based on size when there is no nutritional info.

Note: This thread is 3505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!