IGNORED

Playing for money pro and cons

club ho
Note: This thread is 3744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We always play for money.  Its nothing for all of us to have some type of Nassau with each other.  There are about 10-16 of us that play together on a normal basis every weekend and a few times during the week in the summer, so our 4somes change at times.  We all know each others game and true handicap so you negotiate strokes before round and go.  Then we always do some type of game in each 4some that involves 1 dollar points and no more than 4 presses per 9 holes.  So its nothing to be on 15 or 16 and playing for 16 dollar points.  Makes the game fun.  If someone is playing bad they always grind it out and not just out there screwing around like nothing is on the line.  I have lost up to 200 in a day, but I have won almost 400 in a day.

Now this is what I meant with I said that too much would destroy the fun part.  A wager like this would never include me.  This is big money, and there is no way I'd be a part of it.  The games I like are more in the category where a horrid day where I lost most skins and all 3 round robin matches would still cost me around $10.  My father-in-law and his buddies used to play bingo-bango-bongo for nickels.  After 9 holes you might drop 25 cents.

In both cases, the wager is just an alternate way of keeping score and spicing up the round, not something that you could actually go out and spend on anything useful.  Winning or losing $200 or more on a single round would make the game far too serious, if anyone in my circle was even willing to contemplate such a venture.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Now this is what I meant with I said that too much would destroy the fun part.  A wager like this would never include me.  This is big money, and there is no way I'd be a part of it.  The games I like are more in the category where a horrid day where I lost most skins and all 3 round robin matches would still cost me around $10.  My father-in-law and his buddies used to play bingo-bango-bongo for nickels.  After 9 holes you might drop 25 cents.

In both cases, the wager is just an alternate way of keeping score and spicing up the round, not something that you could actually go out and spend on anything useful.  Winning or losing $200 or more on a single round would make the game far too serious, if anyone in my circle was even willing to contemplate such a venture.

I agree with you $200 dollar rounds are not what I consider a good idea for just about anyone other then the super elite. Like I said in the original post the money should not make the participating golfer uncomfortable. I agree with the poster who said the bragging rights of winning $2 or $3 is priceless and doesn't hurt anyones pocketbook.

I play with 2 groups now that bets, one bets $20/round and the other bets $10. I join occasionally when I know I have a good chance of winning. However, I do see quite a number of guys betting when they have no business betting, and it often leads to an uncomfortable round.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

I play with 2 groups now that bets, one bets $20/round and the other bets $10. I join occasionally when I know I have a good chance of winning. However, I do see quite a number of guys betting when they have no business betting, and it often leads to an uncomfortable round.

A reasonable game, properly handicapped, should give everyone a chance.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Absolutely agree, but I forgot to mention that no strokes are given during these rounds. So, No it's definitely not reasonable, nor is it properly handicapped

I play $1 Nassau with one of my friends. He's been playing longer than I've been alive, but we're pretty even skill-wise (he has a slight edge) so we play straight up. The money isn't enough to leave anyone with hurt feelings, and it just livens up the round. There's definitely more fun ribbing going on, and I find that I focus more because I want to win.

I remember once I was three down with three to play and I shot par, par, birdie to halve the match. It wouldn't have been as memorable if I wasn't playing for something.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by David in FL

Absolutely agree, but I forgot to mention that no strokes are given during these rounds. So, No it's definitely not reasonable, nor is it properly handicapped

No way I'd play if no strokes are allowed unless all the players are within a couple of strokes of each other (and I know that those handicaps are the real deal).  Anyone who does is either stupid or he has masochistic tendencies.  A 15 playing with a bunch of 10's might as well just break out his wallet on the first tee, because he's going to get clocked 9 times out of 10.

Part of the fun is negotiating strokes before we start.  With a 5 stroke course handicap difference, we would probably end up settling at 3 or 4, with the option to renegotiate at the turn if it seems indicated.  We aren't out for blood, so if one guy is having a particularly bad day. we'll give him a break and then we can razz him even more when he still loses. ;-)

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Hmmm. Yeah I think I would skip those games. No need to simply donate my money. ;-)

I don't mind playing match play per hole against better players if I'm playing OK. My up and down game usually has a decent chance in match play.

No way I'd play if no strokes are allowed unless all the players are within a couple of strokes of each other (and I know that those handicaps are the real deal).  Anyone who does is either stupid or he has masochistic tendencies.  A 15 playing with a bunch of 10's might as well just break out his wallet on the first tee, because he's going to get clocked 9 times out of 10.

Part of the fun is negotiating strokes before we start.  With a 5 stroke course handicap difference, we would probably end up settling at 3 or 4, with the option to renegotiate at the turn if it seems indicated.  We aren't out for blood, so if one guy is having a particularly bad day. we'll give him a break and then we can razz him even more when he still loses.

I would honestly say the difference between the top guy and the lowest guy is about 9 strokes for any combination of 4some we put together, but when you factor in ego, we are all about the same. Lol. I've won just about as much as I've lost, but I wont bet unless I know I have a shot. Ironically, its the higher handicappers that tends to ask at the first tee who's in for the bet or not.

We have a "donor" in our group who only ever donates, even if he's leading after 4 holes, we can count on him blowing up before the first 9. It's like clock work. If you let your ego get in the way, I will subsidize my green fees with your money without hesitation.

• Upvote 1

$20.00 buy in is my max, I have been fortunate to walk away with $100 from time to time but overall I may be down $100 over a couple years.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Hmmm. Yeah I think I would skip those games. No need to simply donate my money.

I don't mind playing match play per hole against better players if I'm playing OK. My up and down game usually has a decent chance in match play

This I do often as side bets. $1/hole.

No way I'd play if no strokes are allowed unless all the players are within a couple of strokes of each other (and I know that those handicaps are the real deal).  Anyone who does is either stupid or he has masochistic tendencies.  A 15 playing with a bunch of 10's might as well just break out his wallet on the first tee, because he's going to get clocked 9 times out of 10. Part of the fun is negotiating strokes before we start .  With a 5 stroke course handicap difference, we would probably end up settling at 3 or 4, with the option to renegotiate at the turn if it seems indicated.  We aren't out for blood, so if one guy is having a particularly bad day. we'll give him a break and then we can razz him even more when he still loses. ;-)

Yep.....the game is won or lost on the first tee! ;-) One thing that is worth mentioning though.....everyone carries an honest, official handicap and we play by the rules.

In David's bag....

I know me and my teammates will bet during practice a couple dollars playing 7-up around the greens. One person picks a spot to hit from and a hole to hit to, with the object being to get the closest. If you're the closest and you make the putt you get one point. If you just manage to hit the green you remain at your current point total. If you miss the green entirely you lose a point.

Funnily enough one teammate owed another teammate close to a quarter of a million dollars during my freshman year after a season's worth of double or nothing bets. He eventually won one of the bets though, which was good for him even though the other guy was unlikely to actually collect in any form larger than a $20.

Quote:

.  I hate playing alone, but with your philosophy that probably doesn't bother you.  Golf is a social game.

I don't find golf particularly social ... it's pretty much a personal challenge for me.     I have a circle of guys I play with at work & we have a blast playing.     Play a lot with my wife too - great couples time.   I play alone often as well - sometimes the most fun I have is when I go after work & I'm alone on the course - some of my most enjoyable golf takes place then - something about the solitude of it.       I guess it just depends how social of a person you are ... golf could become a very social endeavor if that's your way or personality.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Pro: Might win some money.

Con: Might lose some money.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Only within the last couple years have I started playing golf without betting.  I grew up at a club where having a team bet and individual bets were a normal thing.  Might have 20 individual bets every time you played called ten and ones.  $10 for lowest score net, then $1 per stroke, $5 birdies.  So if I shot net 72 with two birdies and someone else shot net 74 with no birdies, they would owe me $22.  The beauty of this game was that there was no picking up.  So if you had a bad hole and made a 10, it counted, no 7X kind of stuff.  I was a decent player at this time and it kind of worked in my favor ;-) Then we'd also play liars dice after golf.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Only within the last couple years have I started playing golf without betting.  I grew up at a club where having a team bet and individual bets were a normal thing.  Might have 20 individual bets every time you played called ten and ones.  $10 for lowest score net, then $1 per stroke, $5 birdies.  So if I shot net 72 with two birdies and someone else shot net 74 with no birdies, they would owe me $22.  The beauty of this game was that there was no picking up.  So if you had a bad hole and made a 10, it counted, no 7X kind of stuff.  I was a decent player at this time and it kind of worked in my favor ;-)   Then we'd also play liars dice after golf.

I like it. Not for the faint of heart. Great game for tournament prep too! With 20 guys playing, that little 3 footer is now worth a $19 swing? That'll get you grinding a bit! Did you play off of full hcp? Did you pay net birdies, or gross? Seems like net birdies could get troublesome. I wouldn't want to be the one having to figure out the 20-way results though...or did you just get with each other individually afterward?

In David's bag....

Only within the last couple years have I started playing golf without betting.  I grew up at a club where having a team bet and individual bets were a normal thing.  Might have 20 individual bets every time you played called ten and ones.  $10 for lowest score net, then $1 per stroke, $5 birdies.  So if I shot net 72 with two birdies and someone else shot net 74 with no birdies, they would owe me $22.  The beauty of this game was that there was no picking up.  So if you had a bad hole and made a 10, it counted, no 7X kind of stuff.  I was a decent player at this time and it kind of worked in my favor   Then we'd also play liars dice after golf.

I agree with @David in FL , this sounds pretty dope.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Note: This thread is 3744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!