IGNORED

Why do the pros hit it so far? Here's my take

xerex250
Note: This thread is 2540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 minutes ago, pushdraw12 said:

Some of the numbers you see on TV are inflated - whether they intend to or not. You have to remember "building hype" around star athletes is how they sell the product on PGA tour. That being said you can't compare old players to new. They use a very different golf ball - that is where the majority of the distance comes from.  The average carry on the PGA tour is probably around the 270 ish mark. Average distance is 290. The longest guys on tour can carry it 300 +. 

um wat?

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, iacas said:

Rhythm, sequencing, balance.

Honestly, after watching a 5'7" pro who weighed only 130-ish swing smooth and "effortlessly", I'd have to go with this response.

He didn't look jerky or fast at all, but the ball went on for 300+ yards on my home course. He told me his average is only 280, but every ball he hit was well over 300 yards (longest one 360) using my GG to verify it. I think he mostly lands soft on the pro courses for a lot less roll, which is why his average is "only" 280? He was way longer than any other partner I've played and probably could carry the long end of the pond where I've seen so many long hitters come up short with a splash, but he played smart anyway.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

34 minutes ago, colin007 said:

um wat?

invention of the 4-piece urethrane cover golf balls (i.e. Titleist ProV1) has very drastically changed distances on the tour.   

• Upvote 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

14 minutes ago, lastings said:

invention of the 4-piece urethrane cover golf balls (i.e. Titleist ProV1) has very drastically changed distances on the tour.   

It also is the same golf ball used by masses of amateur golfers across the globe. Hence the reason the statement, "They use a very different golf ball" is pretty asinine.

12 hours ago, Pretzel said:

It also is the same golf ball used by masses of amateur golfers across the globe. Hence the reason the statement, "They use a very different golf ball" is pretty asinine.

I think he was referencing the ball they used back then compared to now. But that also is not true, a lot of what the pros use is tweaked. They change the compression of the balls for each individual player and then stamp the logo on it. Same thing with shafts, driver heads, etc.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9.0 Aldila Rogue Silver X-Stiff I Taylormade M2 3 wood Fujikara 661 Speeder X-Stiff I Callaway Apex 3 Iron UST Mamiya Recoil 780 ES F5 X-Stiff I Mizuno MP-59 4-PW Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff I Mizuno Wedges (Blue) 52_56_60 Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex I Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 USA Edition I Taylormade Tour Preferred 

2 minutes ago, Dannyhansen88 said:

I think he was referencing the ball they used back then compared to now. But that also is not true, a lot of what the pros use is tweaked. They change the compression of the balls for each individual player and then stamp the logo on it. Same thing with shafts, driver heads, etc.

The balls and clubs Pros use have to conform to the same Rules of Golf that ours do.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

12 hours ago, boogielicious said:

The balls and clubs Pros use have to conform to the same Rules of Golf that ours do.

Well aware, but they are tweaked to their game and swing. They adjust ball compression to each of their swing speeds to get the most out of it for them. Same thing with shafts, they look the same and may say X-stiff but its not the same one you buy off the shelf

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9.0 Aldila Rogue Silver X-Stiff I Taylormade M2 3 wood Fujikara 661 Speeder X-Stiff I Callaway Apex 3 Iron UST Mamiya Recoil 780 ES F5 X-Stiff I Mizuno MP-59 4-PW Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff I Mizuno Wedges (Blue) 52_56_60 Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex I Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 USA Edition I Taylormade Tour Preferred 

2 hours ago, colin007 said:

um wat?

I was saying you can't compare the distance of Jack to current players. He used a different golf ball. The new ball is longer than the ones he used. 

Also...think for yourself question authority. (i like your lateralus avatar)

• Administrator

They use a different ball, but they also swing significantly faster. And…:

• They understand and can dial in launch characteristics.
  • They understand the swing better.
  • They aren't swinging steel shafted persimmon headed drivers with small sweet spots.
  • They understand the advantage distance provides.
  • They're better conditioned.
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 hours ago, pushdraw12 said:

I was saying you can't compare the distance of Jack to current players. He used a different golf ball. The new ball is longer than the ones he used. 

Also...think for yourself question authority. (i like your lateralus avatar)

Ok, I thought you were implying that the pros use a different ProV than we all can buy at Golf Galaxy

Lateralus is in my top 3 albums of all time. Stunning work of art. :beer:

6 hours ago, iacas said:

They use a different ball, but they also swing significantly faster. 

@iacas, to clarify, you're not implying that the pros play special balls not available to the public? I mean, I know some might have a personalized spec ball (like Tiger), but by and large they play the same ones we play, right?

Colin P.

• Administrator
    10 hours ago, colin007 said:

@iacas, to clarify, you're not implying that the pros play special balls not available to the public? I mean, I know some might have a personalized spec ball (like Tiger), but by and large they play the same ones we play, right?

Compared to the 80s.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
    Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
    Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

funny thing about all this is, I bet 1965 Jack Nicklaus --persimmon driver, balata balls, and all-- would have made a run at this years masters.   Early 80's Seve just as well.   good golf is good golf, no matter how you slice it. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
    :cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
    :tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
    :mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
    :bettinardi: - 52 degree
    :titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

I lifted and trained this off-season like I never have before.  Started working on golf specific muscles/movements, lots of core, legs, back, twisting, etc, to see if it would help me with distance/swing speed.  I put on about 10-15lbs of muscle with my routine.  I was also stretching alot which I hadn't really ever done before.  I gained about 3 mph of clubhead speed since the end of last year.  I would say it is more attributable to the stretches I have been doing than it is to the lifting, or equal at best.  I think that if a person did yoga and became more flexible without lifting weights, that person would see a small gain in ss and distance IMO. 

1 hour ago, Grinde6 said:

I gained about 3 mph of clubhead speed since the end of last year. 

Good stuff.

Just want to point out that @Grinde6 is a 1 handicap. Improved fitness can help but good mechanics are very important. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
    Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
    Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Today I hit a 3 hybrid 240 yards. I am nearly 60 years old, play off of 21, and don't have the flexibility to use a full swing. My norm in these conditions with this club is about 180 yards. I think sometimes everything comes together, whilst for a pro it just happens a lot more often.

• Upvote 1

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

The pros get the toe turning past the heel...

You mean a faster rate of closure? If anything, it's the opposite. 

Colin P.

2 minutes ago, colin007 said:

You mean a faster rate of closure? If anything, it's the opposite. 

Hi Colin... I can't agree.  It has to do with the ol' supination/pronation thing.  If you come into impact all squared up you'll be flipping the club and leaving everything to the right... slice or push.  That toe passing the heel speeds everything up... higher swing speed... more distance.  Promotes a draw... more roll out.

Note: This thread is 2540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!