Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hackerandloveit

Best Round I have ever shot

16 posts in this topic

So I have been playing golf for about 14 years now.  Playing with a desire to truly improve beyond slicing two streets off the course for about 5 to 6 years.  I used to not give a damn, I just wanted to go out and have fun.  Which I was, but I wanted to lower my score and get better.  So thanks to a neighbor/best friend/personal golf coach I have managed to drop my handicap to 12.3 according to the AGA.  (Arizona Golf Association).

I peeked though around 82.  I could never seem to get lower than that number.  My biggest issue was I would play well, often 2 to 4 strokes over on the front nine only to blow up on the back.  And it usually came on 2 or 3 holes where I just fell apart.  I let my mechanics get sloppy and things went down hill.  I was getting to tired at the end of the round.  I have not been as active as I used to due to bad back.(I know, pulling a Tiger here.)  Pinched nerves and a partially removed disc makes the back stiff.  I have learned to play around that for the most part though.  Just not as flexible as I used to be.

So I went out the other day for a nice morning round of golf on a weekday off.  The range was closed due to the picker being broken, so it was off to the first tee with not a single warm up shot.  I usually hit a medium to large bucket before playing.  I played with gentlemen and his elderly father.  They were both very relaxed and took their time playing.  The entire day I felt more relaxed on the course than I ever have.  I felt in the zone almost every shot.  Each shot I hit I felt like it was a nice easy warm up shot, except it went as far as normal, and sometimes a little farther.  I realized after finishing with a 78 that I wasn't tired.

I hit way to many balls before playing and was killing myself.  By the time I got to the back nine my back was always stiff as a board and I was worn out.  I play again saturday for our club outing and am excited to see how it goes.  I plan on not warming up before hand with a bunch of balls.  Some chipping and thats about it.  I think I may have finally figured out what my major issue was.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Nice going!

I broke 80 maybe half a dozen times during my prior obsession with golf, but haven't done it since I came back to the game a little less than 2 years ago after a break of more than a decade. I've shot a bunch of rounds from 80 to 83, but one or two blowup holes have always done me in.

Nice score, you broke 80 and thats a goal a lot of golfers never reach.Don't count on the ' finally figured it out'. :-\ It's golf even the pro's have issues.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Congratulations on breaking that 80 barrier!  It's something that the majority of golfers never achieve.

@MacDutch is absolutely right.  As soon as you start thinking you've "figured it out", the golf gods will respond with a beat-down of epic proportions.  Don't tempt them.....

;-)

Congrats on breaking the 80 Barrier -- that's a fine accomplishment!

Congratulations on breaking that 80 barrier!  It's something that the majority of golfers never achieve.

@MacDutch is absolutely right.  As soon as you start thinking you've "figured it out", the golf gods will respond with a beat-down of epic proportions.  Don't tempt them.....

Ha Ha, that's pretty funny.  Because it's true!

Congrats.

You obviously have to be swinging well, not waste shots around the green, and make those 10 foot par/birdie putts to shoot your best round ever, BUT a lot of it has to do with the mental aspect.  I feel that every time I have a good round going with only a few holes left I start thinking about it too much, and stop focusing on taking it one shot at a time! Less thinking, more swinging!

My lowest score is a 65 at the Ocean Course in Puerto Rico at the Rio Mar hotel. Love that place ever since :)

Don't count on the ' finally figured it out'.

True. If I had a penny for every time I "figure it out," I'd have enough money to hire a personal instructor.   The last time I "figured it out" was when I did 36 on front nine of a difficult course.  The next round, I did 56 on the same front 9!   Anyway, congrats to OP.

Last round I played at Lackland AFB I shot 100. My best score on a non executive course. This was about 4 weeks ago.

Congratulations! I'm hoping to get back to that point this summer. I have broke 80 exactly once with a 79, when I was 16, almost 20 years ago. Since then, most round range from mid 80s to 90s. A few years years ago I shot 80 on the number four times, and it drove me crazy! I know there's much difference between 80 and 79, but 79 sure sounds much better to me...

Nice one!

I think many amateurs overdo the warm up before rounds and of course ''important'' club tournaments.

Do some stretching and bending, then hit some wedges, a couple of 7 irons, some low irons and 3 - 5 drives? Then use most on time on and around the putting green!

My best score is 67 on par 72, but I think 78 on Valderrama from tournament tee is the best round I have ever done.

Thanks guys. I've been struggling a lot with my driver so I didn't use it on the back nine. I also saw in a picture that my swing is really off. At my finish, my back foot was still planted. Apparently, I swing with my upper body only.

Thanks guys. I've been struggling a lot with my driver so I didn't use it on the back nine. I also saw in a picture that my swing is really off. At my finish, my back foot was still planted. Apparently, I swing with my upper body only.

Your score -15 strokes with a hip movement ;)

Congrats.  Finally breaking 80 is a really fun accomplishment.  As others said, don't tempt the golf gods!  First time I broke 80 was a 74, 41 on the front, 33 on the back.  Didn't break 80 again for quite a while after that, and that was a couple years ago and I still only break 80 on my very best days.

Though I agree with you that with a bad back hitting 50-80 balls before the round probably was hurting you a few strokes.  Seems plausible at least that with your back issues no full swing warm ups or maybe a shared warm up bucket (10-15 balls each), and consciously trying to maintain a smooth, easy attitude and swing, could significantly help your game.

Your score -15 strokes with a hip movement ;)

That wold be nice. :-D