IGNORED

2014 & '15 Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3330 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

per golfweek.com....... A week after earning a warning for slow play, [URL=http://scores.golfweek.com/scores.asp?ACTION=Player&PlayerID;=1850] Kevin Na [/URL] was heckled by an unruly member of the gallery on several occasions Friday at the [URL=http://scores.golfweek.com/scores.asp?ACTION=Player&PlayerID;=7763] Arnold Palmer [/URL] Invitational and requested security follow his group. After the round, he danced around the subject in a televised interview with Golf Channel and told reporters, "Can I go? I really had a long day." Scott Stallings, who played in Na's group said, "He did the best he possibly could do. There never once was a time during the two days where I was saying, 'He's got to go faster.' " Na is tied for 24th at 3 under. He shot 1-under 71 on Friday.

I sure would like it if the PGA found a way to muzzle the hecklers, and the morons who yell something stupid after a tee shoot.

Had a decent time yesterday at the Palmer event, but it dawned on my afterwards, there was absolutely no place to sit for my $50/day ticket.  All the grandstands that you see on TV are hospitality stands for people who upgrade to tickets most of which were $100+ or more.   There was one free grandstand on #6 green if you showed your Mastercard - and those stands are relatively far from the green and it is very small.   I didn't bother. Guess Arnie's event is cutting overhead costs. Going to tourneys is not for the poor man -but it isn't much different than going to a MLB, NFL, NBA game anymore.  The game of golf isn't really for the poor guy either, is it? (what is the avg cost for green fees? avg cost for decent driver/set of clubs/balls?).

Going to events is also becoming cumbersome. Personal belongings are searched, you pretty much can't bring backpacks or much anything else other than a chair (see above) with you. You get "wanded" for weapons and contraband.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to offer upgrade tickets on the day of the event to fill up the stands and make some more money? I find it so weird seeing empty seats everywhere. Let the audience upgrade for like an extra $25-$50 if they want. I guarantee everyone involved will be happy :)

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Na will continue to play slow as long as his playing partners give him a pass like Stallings did. When the playing partners speak up, then that's when the heat will really be on. I really have no sympathy for him. I don't care what's going on in his brain. Just play faster. It's not impossible, just freaking do it.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

GMAC follows yesterday's 77 with 67 today.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Since when do you care about GMAC?? :-P

I put a lot of time in working on his game with him. Just want to see that hard work pay off! :-$

In David's bag....

• Administrator

I put a lot of time in working on his game with him. Just want to see that hard work pay off!

It did. That's why he shot 77. Then today he just ignored your teachings. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It did. That's why he shot 77. Then today he just ignored your teachings. :)

Shhhhhhhh....... ;-)

In David's bag....

Na will continue to play slow as long as his playing partners give him a pass like Stallings did. When the playing partners speak up, then that's when the heat will really be on. I really have no sympathy for him. I don't care what's going on in his brain. Just play faster. It's not impossible, just freaking do it.

he didn't play slow with Stallings so there was no reason for Scott to speak up

per golfweek.com....... A week after earning a warning for slow play, [URL=http://scores.golfweek.com/scores.asp?ACTION=Player&PlayerID;=1850] Kevin Na [/URL] was heckled by an unruly member of the gallery on several occasions Friday at the [URL=http://scores.golfweek.com/scores.asp?ACTION=Player&PlayerID;=7763] Arnold Palmer [/URL] Invitational and requested security follow his group. After the round, he danced around the subject in a televised interview with Golf Channel and told reporters, "Can I go? I really had a long day." Scott Stallings, who played in Na's group said, "He did the best he possibly could do. There never once was a time during the two days where I was saying, 'He's got to go faster.' " Na is tied for 24th at 3 under. He shot 1-under 71 on Friday.

[quote name="Rick Martin" url="/t/73250/2014-arnold-palmer-invitational-at-bay-hill-discussion-thread/180#post_965875"]he didn't play slow with Stallings so there was no reason for Scott to speak up [/quote] So are you saying Na isn't slow? He's slow.

Colin P.

• Administrator

From your own post,

"Scott Stallings, who played in Na's group"

He didn't say Stallings didn't play with Na. He said " he didn't play slow [when he played] with Stallings."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

He didn't say Stallings didn't play with Na. He said "[COLOR=181818]he didn't play slow [when he played] with Stallings."[/COLOR]

Yeah I re-read it and fixed it. If he wasn't paying slow then why did he get heckled?

Colin P.

I don't know if he was playing slow in that case or not, but if he wasn't he was probably getting heckled on reputation, and because hecklers heckle. ;-) The guys on the Golf Channel had a good point this morning (wonders do happen) when they said part of the problem is that his "routine", or lack of it, makes it hard for the TV crew to know when to cut to his shot. Some other players take just as long but they waste the time in their pre-shot routine so the TV guys know not to cut to them until they are ready to hit the ball. Watching that on TV makes the fans come to the tournament with a pre-conceived notion that he is going to be slow, whether he really is or not. All that is giving him the benefit of the doubt. . . but if he was in one of our groups we would tell him to $&%# or get off of the pot. ;-)

Those beer tents at golf tourneys are more trouble than any possible value.  OK, open them up when last player of the day signs card. Alcohol in the hands of hackers and hecklers is not good. We can see the trouble alcohol brings to other professional sports. Trouble for the fans in the stands, the players on the field, the motorists in the parking lot, the dudes at the sports bars...My comments here in response to other opinions that many hecklers at Bay Hill were day-long patrons of the beer tents.

Does Augusta National offer beer for sale on the grounds of the Master's?  My first guess is NO.

Those beer tents at golf tourneys are more trouble than any possible value.  OK, open them up when last player of the day signs card. Alcohol in the hands of hackers and hecklers is not good. We can see the trouble alcohol brings to other professional sports. Trouble for the fans in the stands, the players on the field, the motorists in the parking lot, the dudes at the sports bars...My comments here in response to other opinions that many hecklers at Bay Hill were day-long patrons of the beer tents.  Does Augusta National offer beer for sale on the grounds of the Master's?  My first guess is NO.

I'm pretty Augusta does offer beer on the grounds at the Master's, and it's cheap too.

Those beer tents at golf tourneys are more trouble than any possible value.  OK, open them up when last player of the day signs card. Alcohol in the hands of hackers and hecklers is not good. We can see the trouble alcohol brings to other professional sports. Trouble for the fans in the stands, the players on the field, the motorists in the parking lot, the dudes at the sports bars...My comments here in response to other opinions that many hecklers at Bay Hill were day-long patrons of the beer tents.

Does Augusta National offer beer for sale on the grounds of the Master's?  My first guess is NO.

IMHO, beer, and alcohol type drinks generate too much $$$ for them. I doubt they would wait until the last player signs their card. also that would just fuel the "intoxicated driver" thing, being later in the day, when folks are leaving. Of course, the local Police could set up check points and likely have a field day handing out tickets.

Those beer tents at golf tourneys are more trouble than any possible value.  OK, open them up when last player of the day signs card. Alcohol in the hands of hackers and hecklers is not good. We can see the trouble alcohol brings to other professional sports. Trouble for the fans in the stands, the players on the field, the motorists in the parking lot, the dudes at the sports bars...My comments here in response to other opinions that many hecklers at Bay Hill were day-long patrons of the beer tents. Does Augusta National offer beer for sale on the grounds of the Master's?  My first guess is NO .

You would be wrong!

In David's bag....

This is still a great tournament with a lot of big names - just not sure that some of the invites (ie Sam Saunders, Zach Olson) is fair to the top 150 golfers in the world.

Seems Sam Saunders is making the most of his invite so far, he's tied for 15th with a lot of those big names sitting behind him on the leaderboard.  He's even ahead of one of the Top 5 players in golf today. :whistle:

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3330 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!