IGNORED

Why do I pull my 75/50% wedges?

vmsea
Note:Β This thread is 3686 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

When i'm hitting a full swing, no problem.. but sometimes i want to ease up and hit a 3/4 swing with a PW or AW..

i'd say majority of the time I pull this shot..

Why is that? i know the answer is probably something really obvious.. am i just rotating too fast b/c my backswing isn't as far back as a full swing?

And i guess what are ideas for a fix..?

• Administrator

First thing I'd check out: your body stops rotating.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I pull a partial wedge, the culprit seems to be sequencing.Β  I tend to get my upper body turning at the same time my lower body does it's thing.Β  This usually results in an OTT swing path that will inevitably result in a pull.Β  Even though it's not a real fast swing, I still have to think about using my legs to get my weight moving forward a little to initiate the downswing.Β  I'm a novice, so take my thoughts for what their worth...

True story. About 1 1/2 months ago I was at the range hitting my 60, and would pull my shots way more than I had in the past. There's this crusty looking dude, about late 50's early 60's with his wife beater shirt, and old levis with the knees torn away. he apparently saw my frustration with these pulls, so he comes over from 4 stalls away, and says, I know why your pulling your shots, now keep in mind, that he wasn't hitting all that swell, but I say , yeah, what..?

He says it's cuz your right hand Dominate, I look at him and sat...huh.? He says I can show you a much better grip. Now keep in mind, that Mike and Dana saw my grip, and didn't see a need to change it. Anyways, he says you need to be more neutral and roll your right thumb over the shaft, he actually took my thumb and put it where he "thought" it should be. So, not to start a debate on grips and PGA pro's, apparently he thinks PGA teaching pro's are thieves, and don't know what they are doing..o.k.

So I hit a couple shots with his grip change, now keep in mind, he moved back to his stall, but watched me it 2 balls, as they both were pulled, yet he shouted...see went straight as an arrow...Bawahahah...he's also lacking in vision.

After about 10 mins. he left, I sat down pretending to rest so he wouldn't see me go back to my correct grip. Oh, the reason for my pulls, OTT with a slightly shut face, just a guess on the face being closed. Once I swung in to out, the pulls went away. My body position may have been off too. Nowadays, my wedge shots go pretty well, unless I blade it..lol

Umm, sorry for the long story...carry on.. :-D

I have the exact same tendency and the answer is this: [quote name="iacas" url="/t/73305/why-do-i-pull-my-75-50-wedges/0_100#post_964967"]First thing I'd check out: your body stops rotating. [/quote] I guess it's because my mind thinks a half swing means a half follow through but you still need your pivot to come all the way through even if the follow through doesn't come to a full finish position.

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

I have the exact same tendency and the answer is this:

I guess it's because my mind thinks a half swing means a half follow through but you still need your pivot to come all the way through even if the follow through doesn't come to a full finish position.

Kinda why I like to do the Pitching motion for these shots. Its hard to not stop your hips from rotating on the pitching motion, instead of just trying to tone down a full swing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

For those shots I usuallyΒ open the clubface and my stance just a little like I intend to hit a baby cut. From that distance it doesn't actually cut anyΒ and is slightly higher than with a square clubface. The thought of a cut also keeps me rotating through the shot better.

Probably takes a little practice but it feels normal to me.

I used to have a similar problem, I was getting too lazy cause of the 3/4 swingΒ and throwing it over the top sometimes. MainlyΒ focused on rhythm and timing whichΒ sorted it out.

I found this site called Golf Intuition Live which has helped me quite a bit. It allows you to uploadΒ a video of your swing toΒ it and get helpΒ fromΒ PGA pros. It's pretty sick, it means the pro can actually see your swing and what's going wrong, rather than speculating from a few lines of the info you've given on here. You just put in what you're struggling with and what you want to improve, and 3 pros look at your video and give you advice. Might be of help

I used to have a similar problem, I was getting too lazy cause of the 3/4 swingΒ and throwing it over the top sometimes. MainlyΒ focused on rhythm and timing whichΒ sorted it out.

I found this site called Golf Intuition Live which has helped me quite a bit. It allows you to uploadΒ a video of your swing toΒ it and get helpΒ fromΒ PGA pros. It's pretty sick, it means the pro can actually see your swing and what's going wrong, rather than speculating from a few lines of the info you've given on here. You just put in what you're struggling with and what you want to improve, and 3 pros look at your video and give you advice. Might be of help

You should see what the pros on THIS site can do for your swing.

This is what they did for me after ONE day!

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

And the arms take over and come across the line?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator

And the arms take over and come across the line?

Yep. More the face than the arms per se, but body rotation is under-rated as something that helps "hold off" the face from rolling shut.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Ooh, light bulb!! Thank you for discussing this. I notice this on my 'lazy' afternoon rounds after all day of desk work. Never fully understood why I did this. Erik, please advise if this would be exaggerated if one stands straighter than their normal waist bend? I think I do this when I am sluggish in general or a wide or closed stance creeps in. Thanks both. V

Vishal S.

Yep. More the face than the arms per se, but body rotation is under-rated as something that helps "hold off" the face from rolling shut.

Huh.....Β  Hadn't realized that before.Β  Thanks!

In David's bag....

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind

Why is that? i know the answer is probably something really obvious.. am i just rotating too fast b/c my backswing isn't as far back as a full swing?

And i guess what are ideas for a fix..?

Quick answer is that the face is left at impact. Why is it happening? Like @iacas said, probably has to do with the lack of rotation with the body. On a short wedge shot golfers can get too "armsy" with the swing.

Ooh, light bulb!! Thank you for discussing this. I notice this on my 'lazy' afternoon rounds after all day of desk work. Never fully understood why I did this.

Erik, please advise if this would be exaggerated if one stands straighter than their normal waist bend? I think I do this when I am sluggish in general or a wide or closed stance creeps in.

Hi, welcome to the site. I'm not sure what you mean by standing straighter than your normal waist bend.Β Do you mean your back is too straight at address? Yes that could make it harder for you to turn.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

I Knew it!!! something simple and intuitive..

yes my body doesn't rotate much past original position.. maybe i'm lazy. maybe i "feel" like a half swing = half rotation.

ok gonna go work it out today.. thanks guys! awesome..

I Knew it!!! something simple and intuitive..

yes my body doesn't rotate much past original position.. maybe i'm lazy. maybe i "feel" like a half swing = half rotation.

ok gonna go work it out today.. thanks guys! awesome..

A quick drill to help. Put a tee in your left arm pit, helps sequence the pivot with the arms.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Paid attention to this yesterday and hit some very nice longer pitches.

Tip-of-the-week for me!

In David's bag....

Note:Β This thread is 3686 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!